Guild Wars 2 Public Beta Dated, Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I forgot that GW is published by NCSoft.

I do want to check out the sequel to Guild Wars but I'm still butt hurt about NCSoft killing Dungeon Runners.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Guild Wars was (in my opinion) one of the greatest PC games ever. GW2 can only hope to be as good, or maybe even a little bit better, and it must also be modern while not losing what made the original one fun.

RazorBurn

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Not trolling but Guild Wars 2 is way much better than WoW or any other mmorpg at the moment.. With better graphics, dynamic events, no holy trinity and "NO MONTHLY SUBCRIPTIONS"...

G

Maybe jumping the gun just a bit to declare a game you've never played as the best EVAR!!1!!

royalcrown

Distinguished
RIIIGHT, this gume should be renamed, "Guild Wars 2: Duke nukem forever edition" Seriously, this it'll be released someday is f'in rediculous. They should just have said, "We're not even close to releasing it yet" instead of "coming soon" almost 2 years ago, soon means soon, not "maybe".

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]RazorBurn[/nom]Not trolling but Guild Wars 2 is way much better than WoW or any other mmorpg at the moment.. With better graphics, dynamic events, no holy trinity and "NO MONTHLY SUBCRIPTIONS"...[/citation]
From my experience with "dynamic events," they get boring after a while. It's nothing more than the content being rotated

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
To clarify, the holy trinity is still present in the game. That being, tanking(kinda), healing and dps. The difference will be that all players will be able to do every role at the same time and different levels of effectiveness depending on your choice of class/weapons.

There will not be 1 tank and 1 healer and 3 dps.. everyone will be able to tank(not a meat shield but just hold aggro while using defensive cooldowns to stay alive) and everyone will be able to heal and everyone will be able to dps. Imagine, if you will, 5 frost mages doing a heroic and have some limited ability to self heal and aoe heal. They would all take turns kiting/grabbing aggro/ cc'ing/ healing(somewhat) their way through the instance. That is how GW2 will work in a group scenario.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I have a good feeling about Guild Wars 2 and think it will be a great game exceeding the first which was a fine game itself. I also like how it is without subscriptions and believe this is the winning formula, the actual purchase of the game rather than F2P makes it not only profitable for them and makes it much more likely that they can make quality expansions.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]From my experience with "dynamic events," they get boring after a while. It's nothing more than the content being rotated[/citation]
Still much better than the content NOT rotating... JMO

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
How exactly do they make money to run servers and provide support if they only have the income from game sales?

Not to mention covering costs of development and testing?

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]How exactly do they make money to run servers and provide support if they only have the income from game sales?Not to mention covering costs of development and testing?[/citation]

They get there income from game sales *rolls eyes*.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
How exactly do they make money to run servers and provide support if they only have the income from game sales?

Not to mention covering costs of development and testing?

1. Game sales
2. In game promotion sales (e.g. special costume, extra storage, extra character, make over of chracter)
3. New installment sales
4. Panhandling

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Guild Wars was my first and only MMO, and it was better than I ever imagined an online game could be. I must've put in 250 hours before my play time tapered off. I hope GW2 is at least out by the summer b/c I've all but lost motivation to play GW (already played through the campaigns so many times) and I don't want to lose interest in the franchise altogether before GW2 finally comes out.

Wolvan

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I never understood the hate against monthly subscription fee's. I've played MMO's for 12 years now (starting with Asheron's Call and EQ as first 'real' MMO's). Even at $15 bucks a month, that is a awesome value for entertainment, unlimited play, updates, new content etc. Microtransactions make me cry. I hate the model and the lean of the industry towards it. People complain about the cost of the subscription...but really if you can't afford $15 a month, how can you afford a computer, high speed internet service, a cell phone, much less food?
And GW's was NOT a real MMO. I hope GW2 is better, but the microtransaction model had better not screw up the game. 250 hours is nothing in a MMO. That is just over 10 days of play time. In DAOC, my main character alone had over 120 DAYS (2880 hours) of play time. Not to count numerous alts etc. Sure, I was younger and single back then so I don't get to play near those hours any more. But I've put in a few days of play time for SW:TOR and its only been out for about a month.

I would gladly pay $25+ a month for a high quality game with good updates and support. Heck, movie tickets are $10+ each these days for 90 minutes.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
OMG OMG OMG, i can't w8. after 6 years of playing the original, i'm still so excited. time to re-build my PC for march!

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Wonder what will come out first, Guild Wars 2 or Diablo III. I've been stuck in SCII land for what seems like forever at this point heh. On the bright side, haven't desired for a computer upgrade so the wife is happy.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Wolvan[/nom]I never understood the hate against monthly subscription fee's. I've played MMO's for 12 years now (starting with Asheron's Call and EQ as first 'real' MMO's). Even at $15 bucks a month, that is a awesome value for entertainment, unlimited play, updates, new content etc. Microtransactions make me cry. I hate the model and the lean of the industry towards it. People complain about the cost of the subscription...but really if you can't afford $15 a month, how can you afford a computer, high speed internet service, a cell phone, much less food? And GW's was NOT a real MMO. I hope GW2 is better, but the microtransaction model had better not screw up the game. 250 hours is nothing in a MMO. That is just over 10 days of play time. In DAOC, my main character alone had over 120 DAYS (2880 hours) of play time. Not to count numerous alts etc. Sure, I was younger and single back then so I don't get to play near those hours any more. But I've put in a few days of play time for SW:TOR and its only been out for about a month.I would gladly pay $25+ a month for a high quality game with good updates and support. Heck, movie tickets are $10+ each these days for 90 minutes.[/citation]

Dude, I'm talking about myself. For me, 250 hours is a long time to play one game. I'm not gonna go into the math b/c to break it down into any interval of time would be arbitrary. The only game I've played more hours that that was Baldur's Gate 2, and only b/c it took me that long to finally beat it but that was over a 6 year stretch (I finally gave up and started using console cheats). Anyways, GW was a great experience going through the 2 campaigns and the expansion I bought, with several different characters, and I got more than my money's worth. I don't see how it wasn't a "real mmo". It was massive, it was multiplayer, and it was online. Good enough for me, and I had fun with it. At least we can both agree that we're ready for some GW2. I can't wait to see how good this game is going to look and sound on my PC.

xxdannyxx

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
They released a little more information on the beta process, they talk about beta weekends.
http://guildwars2pc.com/2012/beta-details/

G

Diablo 3 will be out sooner than Guild Wars 2 for sure. They've had massive amounts of players in their open public beta for the last 6 months. Just last night I was playing and 1200 people were on the same quest (albeit, only 4 quests). I'd except it to be released before summer... which GW2 only hopes to possibly try.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll play both. Neither is P2P and both games have taken 10,000 hours of combined lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.