h.264 or x264 codec Nvidia GPU?

Corcheedos

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
Hi, I know that Nvidia has made the GTX 600 and 700 series have some built in chip into it that uses shadowplay making the game record at without any lag drops at all. However, it can only record certain games, at certain FPS. That's great and all, but since these GPU's write these video files to well with shadowplay, which the codec is h.264, DxTory offers you to choose which codec you would like to record in. DxTory can go up to 120fps, would this mean that you could use DxTory with the x264 codec and barely have a lag difference? I haven't tested this, but if anyone has the idea I'm thinking, please share what you think about this.

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
It's not a built in chip it's just they created a means to grab the rendered media straight from the card to be recorded or streamed so it's more efficient than software that requires a bridge between the media being displayed and something to capture it.

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Another thing to keep in mind. if you are uploading this versus streaming it anything above 30 FPS on youtube gets dummed down to 30 fps or 36 or some stupid number. so recording at a high frame per second is pointless...

Corcheedos

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

Though you spreak the truth, recording in higher FPS helps with 2 things, slow motion scenes and for some reason, recording at 120fps rendered to 30 makes a nice looking motion blur for some odd reason. Thats just why I like recording that way.