[SOLVED] h-470 + 10600 PCH temps very high

Nov 17, 2020
Hello, excuse my English if I misspell some things... I searched on this forum and internet in general,but I couldn't find an answer or solution for my case.

What happened is I bought components and built a system for my mums new home office(corona and all).
Once I installed every driver and basic program, I went to check temps,and was glad that the stock cooler is keeping the cpu cool enough...even on 20% strength so it wasn't too loud,at least not while doing "office" type of stuff or browsing.(will upgrade it in a few months anyway,because I can still hear it working and it bothers me for some reason xD )
Anyways,all seems ok, cpu temp is at 30c idle,BUT PCH temp is 65/75 at both idle and load.
This was the first time I hear about PCH ,so I have no idea what it was(I use a 7700k system and I don't have that,at least I think)...I tried lowering the voltage to pch in bios,but no change so in temps so I reset it to auto.
I tried googling processor and motherboard specs,but I found no helpful documents on that subject.
Theres also few threads where some people report similar problems but none have "disclosures".
I mean,75c seems A LOT, id rather have it at 50ish,even downclocked,but I cant figure out how to manipulate its temperature.

So I guess my QUESTION would be:
-Can someone explain what PCH is and where is it located on my board?
-Can you tell me how to manipulate it so it gets lower temp?

My specs:
pc case: Be quiet Pure Base 500 windowless
motherboard: asus prime 470-plus
cpu(and gpu): i5 10600(currently with stock cooler,will replace it in future for quieter performance)
ram: 2x8gb trident z 3000ghzcl15(running at 2666)
powersupply: Be quiet Straight Power 11 Platinum 650w
storage: samsung nvme m2 evo plus 500gb

I know its kind of an overkill for homeoffice doing accounting etc, but I wanted her to have a stable "workhorse" that will last her for years to come.
And as I sayd,everything seems fine,except I am worried about that PCH temp.

Hopefully, we will get good info here, thanks!

Temps1.png

Solution
The PCH is whats left of the old North & Southbridge chipset combo we used to have. It handles data to & from peripherals & the cpu EXCEPT for Ram & 16 PCIE lanes (depending on the processor) that feed the cpu directly. Those lanes usually go to the GPU slot (s).

The PCH has a special 4 lane highway to the CPU to transfer to & from it.

I found a graphic where you can see all the things the PCH does on wccftech
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content...Gen-Processors-LGA-1200-Socket_1-1030x535.png

popatim

Titan
The PCH is whats left of the old North & Southbridge chipset combo we used to have. It handles data to & from peripherals & the cpu EXCEPT for Ram & 16 PCIE lanes (depending on the processor) that feed the cpu directly. Those lanes usually go to the GPU slot (s).

The PCH has a special 4 lane highway to the CPU to transfer to & from it.

I found a graphic where you can see all the things the PCH does on wccftech
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content...Gen-Processors-LGA-1200-Socket_1-1030x535.png

Solution
Nov 17, 2020
If the 'heatsink' (?) on that PCH is metal, they often don't put any heatsink paste on it. Adding a slittle usually helps cool the PCH. Its the one that says PRIME on it.
Indeed,after closer inspection i noticed a "pch heatsink" mark right next to it,thanks!
Im trying to open in now, but ih has something like headless screws with springs beneath them. im not exactly sure how to open it without damage

Edit: for picture go here https://postimg.cc/tn0HMXz1

I dont know it why it doesnt let me "insert" the picture into this thread directly...

Edit 2: I fiddled with it for few minutes but I couldn't figure out how to release the screws,if someone can suggest me on that,it would be great.

Last edited: