Question h80i V2 water cooler fan showing 0 RPM in iCUE software but actually full speed

Apr 11, 2023
hey everyone, recently I had a bunch of trouble with a new SSD. In the end, I had to revert to my old SSD but upon reinstalling Windows, now the fan of my water cooler is showing as 0 RPM in iCUE Corsair sofware but it it actually going full speed (or something like that)

my computer was super silent and now it became super loud, I can't even record audios anymore :/

I tried going into bios and changing all fans to silent, but even there it is showing 0 RPM for this fan, any ideas on what to do/try?

sAkhwWn.png

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Review your connections.
  1. Wide connector on a cable from the PUMP goes to a SATA power output from the PSU. This is how the pump gets power AND how it can supply power to the rad fan.
  2. Small connector with 3 holes on the cable from the pump goes to the mobo CPU_FAN header. This is how the PUMP speed is fed to your mobo, and that is where the iCUE software will look to report the PUMP speed.
  3. A separate cable plugs into a small socket on the PUMP and connects to a mobo USB 2 header. THIS is how iCUE can communicate with your cooling system and control it.
  4. Another cable with a wider connector plugs into a socket on the side of the PUMP to feed power to the RAD FAN.
Recognize that your mobo, in BIOS Setup, will show you the PUMP speed on the CPU_FAN header and call it a FAN speed, which it is not. But in iCUE you SHOULD see both pump speed and rad fan speed identified properly.

What you describe sounds somewhat like the iCUE software is NOT making any contact with the pump or its fans. In that case the system will default to lots of fan cooling to be sure your CPU is cooled even if not under automatic control. So IF you are sure all your connections are right, I suggest you UNinstall iCue, reboot, then re-install it. That MAY allow it to search and find all the components and work properly.

Reactions: andrelimapn
Apr 11, 2023
I checked my connections like you guys said and weirdly the fan that was making too much noise wasn't even the main fan of the Water Cooler but it was connected to the WC through a cable with many entrances (don't know the name of it). I then changed this connection to CPU_OPT and the computer started to automatically regulate the fan speed

thank you guys for the help!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Glad you found a good solution. I will speculate on how this MIGHT have happened. If that connection to the CPU_OPT header was how things were done originally before you did your recent work, then VERY likely iCUE set itself up that way when it was first installed. If you then changed that connection point, iCUE would not automatically search for a new signal just because it could not find a signal where it expected it to be. It would simply inform you of the fact that info was missing, and leave it to you to figure that out. You DID!

Reactions: andrelimapn