Hacker: Microsoft More Secure Than Apple, Adobe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]Exactly. Adobe Reader alternatives exist, but how many users have ever heard of Sumatra or Foxit? [/citation]

I have, I use Foxit myself. I think Adobe Reader is too bloated. 37MB for Adobe vs. 6 1/2MB for Foxit.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
From the moment Apple arrived, surfed the internet, ran our games, they were doomed. They were undone, destroyed, after all of MS's weapons and devices had failed, by the tiniest creatures that hackers put upon this earth. By the toll of a billion BSODs, Windows had earned its immunity, its right to survive among this planet's infinite hacks. And that right is ours against all challenges. For neither do OS's live nor die in vain.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Lots of Macintosh haters here.
I am a diehard Microsoft owner, but I do see appeal in Macintosh products (they are a premium product, so I expect premium prices, but the GPU's in them lack too much for me).

G

"(they are a premium product, so I expect premium prices...)"

Nonsense. They are a standard product that, through marketing, has people willing to pay higher prices. Period. High price does NOT equate to Premium quality. (I dont dislike MACs at all BTW)

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]accolite[/nom]So much for apple saying they are more secure![/citation]

Remember is not about the truth that exists, it is about the truth you market.

randomizer

Champion
Let's keep some perspective here. This article is not saying OSX is more vulnerable to viruses, it's saying OSX is vulnerable to security exploits. They are not the same thing, but both are serious. Pwn2Own contests are not about writing viruses.

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Very good article & right on. I use PC's 99.9999999% of the time but also like the Apple interface as well as Windows 7. I like to build my own systems so naturally I won't be building a Mac, as they keep me "out of the box", but I have an old ibook G4 just so I can be familiar with OSX. Apple could one day be a force to recon with if they would let us build our own at competitive prices. They have to do things to be main stream, have to be a gaming machine.The new Macbook Pro's are an example. Higher price, lesser technology. Where's the mobile 5870's? ect.

G

Really? I have 7 Macs. I have 1 PC desktop. I don't run virus protection on the Macs. I run AVG premium on my PC with windows 7 ultimate.

Macs - no viruses
PC - Many viruses

I work in internet security, and our meetings security professionals lends of to agree to disagree. In our real world experiences it costs us more to secure the PCs than the Macs. Maybe it's a market share issue, or maybe this hacker is just good at hacking Macs. Or maybe this is way to get yourself in the news while Apple is making noise this month.

This article is 50% rubbish.

Second. This site is turning to crap.

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mister_s[/nom]"(they are a premium product, so I expect premium prices...)"Nonsense. They are a standard product that, through marketing, has people willing to pay higher prices. Period. High price does NOT equate to Premium quality. (I dont dislike MACs at all BTW)[/citation]

I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means. In fact, I refuse to own anything made by Apple. Having said that, if you want the quality comparable to Apple, you do have to pay premium in the PC market.

If you want a well-built reliable Windows laptop, you have to go to Lenovo's or Dell's business offerings. There you will find very well-built computers, but you will also find higher prices. I don't know if they exactly win or lose against Apple in price vs. features and by how much, but the prices are comparable to that of Apple.

Apple does make great quality products that justify at least some of the price premium. The rest of the price difference could be attributed to that smug feeling you reportedly get when you buy an Apple product. I refuse to buy products from a company that puts their customers into restrictive boxes at treats them like they are retarded. I will choose how I use my computer, smartphone, mp3 player, etc.; I don't need Steve Jobs to tell me how I should do it.

Those MacBook Pro's are shiny though...

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
To say Apple users are Ignorant is pure foolishness. I'm sure allot of folks feel good about this statement but, no one addresses the constant flaws found in the supposed secure OS MS makes. I will agree that Mac OSX is not immune to viruses. I Just fail to see one in the wild infecting Macs. Every yr some geek finds a proof of concept in MAC OXS and during that same yr windows has a real world infections. That leads me to believe that, If anything windows users are the ignorant ones!!!

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]From the moment Apple arrived, surfed the internet, ran our games, they were doomed. They were undone, destroyed, after all of MS's weapons and devices had failed, by the tiniest creatures that hackers put upon this earth. By the toll of a billion BSODs, Windows had earned its immunity, its right to survive among this planet's infinite hacks. And that right is ours against all challenges. For neither do OS's live nor die in vain.[/citation]

You should almost get some sort of trophy...

Only Apple is more like the Roswell alien that crashed and was put on life support by the US Government(see Microsoft's millions of dollars). It didn't do anything special except has the ability to feed from the incredibly rare being known as "The Stupid Rich Guy."

I'm sure some people need Macs. I'm not saying everyone who buys a mac is a stupid rich guy, just a lot of them.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Lots of Macintosh haters here.I am a diehard Microsoft owner, but I do see appeal in Macintosh products (they are a premium product, so I expect premium prices, but the GPU's in them lack too much for me).[/citation]

Premium? We dont have the same definition. To me, premium is cutting edge technology, not a shiny white box with aluminum inserts.

Like my LCed OCed 4.2GHz i7 920. Now thats premium, and custom build.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
But the point is that there are more hackers that focus on the microsoft side of the market. Since 90% of people use PC's instead of macs, that is where hackers want to go....

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Very true. By the way, the best way to hack a mac is with a Linux. Also the best way to hack anything. Linux rules them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Also, he says that Microsoft is doing more to protect its systems than anyone else on the market. They may be doing more, but that doesn't mean they're more secure. While they have routinely been proven more secure than Macs, they still fall short of Linux. So be safe, go Linux, and hack your friends!

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Let me preface this by saying I use both PCs and Macs. My newest computer is a Mac.

> "they are a premium product, so I expect premium prices..."

That is complete bullshit. Macs are superior to PCs in some ways, inferior in others. The Mac is not a "premium" product. It's a different product. Not better and not worse. Although, I do compliment Steve Jobs for convincing so many people that they are a premium product, that they are worth every penny of what he charges (regardless of how much he charges).

Just as Wall Street has an infinite supply of government money to pay for its many errors, Apple has an infinite supply of fanboys and fangirls to buy Steve's next liver.

mutantmagnet

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mister_s[/nom]"(they are a premium product, so I expect premium prices...)"Nonsense. They are a standard product that, through marketing, has people willing to pay higher prices. Period. High price does NOT equate to Premium quality. [/citation]

True but the MACs are made from superior components or something. I was doing some research on warranty reclaims to figure out what it would take to set up a custom pc business and MACs have the lowest reclaims compared to any PC brand and by a wide margin compared to the average.

I don't know if they are cherry picking parts or doing something else to make this happen but a MAC user is significantly less likely to have to get their computer repaired than a PC user.

The only thing that makes me second guess the supposed stability of a MAC is that I don't know how much of warranty reclaims are related to security issues.

cag404

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Great article. While Apple has a better business strategy, that does not necessarily translate into better products...just more accessible for the general audience. And you pay a premium for this accessiblity and usability. I'm no Apple-basher, but I do enjoy tinkering around with PCs...something you just cannot do with a Mac. I will say, though, that mrmoo500's post above is the most intelligent, unemotional post by a MAc use that I have seen. Very well said. Macs certainly have their strong points and niche(video and photo editing).

Status
Not open for further replies.