Hacker: Microsoft More Secure Than Apple, Adobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Not really a surprise as the results of the hacking contest every year held in Vancouver also result in the Apple OS being hacked first.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
"And the Apple community is pretty ignorant to the risks that are out there as it relates to Apple."

I think reading that statement has made my entire week :) If you guys don't see me again, it means the Apple zealots has silenced me w/orders from Brother Jobs. :(

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
What is news about that. Once microsoft Every since service pak 1 for xp the ox from ms is more secure than any os put out by apple.

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Blimey! It's no wonder Mac's don't get attacked by Trojans, Spyware and Virii. If spelling of PC Malware coding is anything like the level of illiteracy found here in THW fora, the fully integrated Mac OS X Dictionary would baulk and send it straight to Coventry.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Quote: "a company dedicated to finding security flaws in Microsoft's software."

Sorry, this guy works for MS so I take his word with a grain of salt. I will stick with Linux (Dumped Windose 7 as soon as I got it) as my main computer for banking and such.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It's nice to hear someone who downplay Apple's "security through obscurity" message - just because no one cared as much about you does not mean you are secure.

The one that worries me, as mentioned above, is Adobe - they are perpetually leaving open holes in their poorly coded software. Unfortunately, their products are popular and commonplace.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]The one that worries me, as mentioned above, is Adobe - they are perpetually leaving open holes in their poorly coded software. Unfortunately, their products are popular and commonplace.[/citation]
Exactly. Adobe Reader alternatives exist, but how many users have ever heard of Sumatra or Foxit? Adobe Reader is bundled with just about every piece of optical-drive-installed software that has a pdf user guide, and that's a large majority.
As for Flash and Shockwave, the final HTML5 spec can't come soon enough...
Back on topic, this isn't a surprise. It's amazing how many Mac lovers don't understand the difference between safety and security. As this article says, Macs fail at security. They may be safer for awhile, but only because of the lack of malware for them. I'm actually surprised that Macs haven't been targeted more, since I generally think of most Mac users as:
1) Rich; a lot of money to be scammed out of them!
2) Less computer literate, since they want a computer that just works out of the box instead of customizing it themselves, like Windows and Linux (even more with the latter).
I understand those two characteristics don't describe every Mac user; I'm speaking of them as a group.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
It's sad just how arrogant Jobs really is with his products. This isn't security related but remembering back to Jobs' statement about Macs being so stable and the only thing that crashes a Mac is Flash and how he doesn't want Flash going on the the iPhone and Touch etc. Well I was remembering that earlier today when my iPod Touch crashed while trying to load up an app and then thinking about it and realizing that my Touch crashes more frequently than any of my Windows PCs.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Good to know this as I prefer windows and really hate Mac. BTW, Mac PCs that don't come with windows OS are always free 99% of the time even when all the windows PC are occupied at my university.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
[citation][nom]evolve60[/nom]This sums up their community and CEO[/citation]

Unnecessary as well as inaccurate, particularly the reference to Jobs.

Hopefully Apple will step it up with OSX 10.7 before it comes back to bite them. It's only a matter of time before hackers take advantage of this and Apple is caught with their pants down. Perhaps it is time for them to take a page from Microsoft this time around.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]Wow this article put all Mac fanboy to shame. They shouldn't read this article because its only make their blood boil.[/citation]

I'm a proponent of Apple and I think this article is great. Hopefully Apple gets it together. Not all people who appreciate Apple are ignorant fan boys. They make great products and have a great business strategy, but are by no means perfect.

Personally, I simply love tech and want to see it advance. In terms of design and useability, I think Apple has done a great service. As a pro video editor I use their hardware/software at work exclusively, at home I use a PC. I love Windows 7 as well, and there are absolutely many things that were incorporated into it UI-wise that Apple has been doing for a long time - all welcome additions. And look at product design and expectations - Apple has really raised the bar in terms of companies delivering things standard, such as IPS panels, better quality device hardware design, etc.

mrmoo500

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dannyaa[/nom]I'm a proponent of Apple and I think this article is great. Hopefully Apple gets it together. Not all people who appreciate Apple are ignorant fan boys. They make great products and have a great business strategy, but are by no means perfect.Personally, I simply love tech and want to see it advance. In terms of design and useability, I think Apple has done a great service. As a pro video editor I use their hardware/software at work exclusively, at home I use a PC. I love Windows 7 as well, and there are absolutely many things that were incorporated into it UI-wise that Apple has been doing for a long time - all welcome additions. And look at product design and expectations - Apple has really raised the bar in terms of companies delivering things standard, such as IPS panels, better quality device hardware design, etc.[/citation]
You are the smartest apple user I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.