Hacker: Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Note: this is the same guy that won at Own2Pwn last year. So Im pretty sure he knows what hes talking about.

But Mac users live in a little false reality bubble with twirling rainbows and lies about being impervious to maleware.

G

and this is new to the world how. i think this should already be common knowledge.

G

ASLR is just security through obscurity. I wouldn't trust my data with any security "guru" who suggests otherwise. I'd rather see Apple invest their time implementing actual security measures

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sicundercover[/nom]But Mac users live in a little false reality bubble with twirling rainbows and lies about being impervious to maleware.[/citation]

Amen! lol

I'm always tired of Mac users saying "Oh, but there is less malware for Macs out there!" My response to that is "Hackers just feel sorry for Mac users and decide not to make their lives even more miserable than they already are with using a Mac." ;) Now I can say that Windows is more secure! :D

(P.S. I am not one of those people that have never used a Mac and say that I don't like it, I have been using one extensively over the summer and have found out how much time I have saved by using a Windows computer all of my life ;))

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
"Regardless of which side you're on (though as a true computing enthusiast, you shouldn't be taking sides)"

Wrong idiot, no such thing as a apple enthusiast. I dont see people buying Imac's and upgrading or overclocking them into gaming machines. As a author you shouldnt be telling us what we should and shouldnt be doing or thinking or feeling. Yes i do take Windows side, its faster, upgradeble, cheaper, and now its safer. So why would you buy an Imac? Only if your pocketbook is bigger than your IQ.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I work for a small creative agency where I am the sole Windows user out of simple preference. I do not nor have I ever had malice or negative thoughts about Apple products. I have owned both...and yet I am constantly attacked about having an inferior device because it isn't Apple. I don't like being forced into a corner and having to defend myself and it really pisses me off. Both have strengths and weaknesses and as the author of the article pointed out, the true computer enthusiast does not care...and I really don't.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Look, the ASLR issue is simply security through obscurity. To even abuse the weakness in Apple's OS, you first need to execute the code in the first place, which requires either an un-patched weakness followed by escalation of privileges to even access the memory space used by the kernel and driver resources, find a stupid user direct them to a cracked site and then run something to crack the OS open, or get their password. If you've already gotten this far, wtf are you worried about where in RAM some file is, you ALREADY OWN THE MACHINE. ASLR is important on the windows platform where it;s easy to inject code into apps in many ways. on a UNIX based system, that gets you nothing unless you can get into the machine in the first place and run code, which can't easily happen without tricking the user on some level first. Generic virus code can not get to the memory space regardless of the randomization unless you can run as root (which is disabled!).

This is like saying the like saying windows cars have bad alarms and cheap door locks, but are difficult to hot-wire once inside. They can steal you identity, but not so easily drive off with the car, while next to it is an apple Abrams tank, fully bulletproof and locked, but they keys are inside if you can get to them, so it's somehow less secure...

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ChaosGS[/nom]Get an edit button on here, stupid toms. While your working on the edit button, get some non biased authors or some authors with a brain. Jane is the only decent author on here. Marcus has always been a biased retarded individual, serious stop writing topics, and just spell check its about all your good for.[/citation]

Ummmm...take a look at that last sentence again and see if you can find anything in his article that is as poorly written... :p

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I wonder why people think ASLR is unimportant? To me it seems like just one more layer of security.... I like extra layers when it comes to security and if it does not impose any significant performance loss then why not? To argue against extra security is crazy on any platform.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
whatever apples marketing team will sell it as
"hey mac"
" hey pc"
" hey mac i heard you arent as hard to get into as i am"
" hey pc dont you know? boys like loose girls ;) "

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]p.s. and yeah mac have lessviruses because hackers , find tos x to easy to hack and we all know hackers like a challenge LOL[/citation]

yeah youd figure working for a technology sight they would know how to use a simply technology called spell check and use a tried and true method called PROOF READING.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
"Apple didn’t completely missed the chance to tighten up security in Snow Leopard though"

oh wow , every one here knows how shitty my typos, but damn , when i catch a gramatical error , you know you need better editoral skills LOL that line should read:

"Apple didn’t completely miss the chance to tighten up security in Snow Leopard though"

oops i meant to quote this.... so much for proof reading....

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
hehe, they say "you don't get viruses on a mac, you get lots of viruses on a PC, because they are unsecure."

Notice how it doesn't say macs are secure, it doesn't even say that macs are more secure than PCs. but that is exactly what people would would think its saying.

The only department of apple that is truly innovating and pushing boundaries is their marketing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.