Hackers Could Make a MacBook's Battery Explode

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friis

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Its a thing for Apple, that they don't get enough money, so just when the warranty expires, they hack in and make it explode, so you can buy a new one for the already high price they take for everything.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Or that was a cover up story to sweep something like this under the rug so that they could keep this in there laptops to later make them explode when they need new revenue lol

cabuck

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Next question: does this issue exist with other mobile computer makers' hardware?

Many components that comprise a MacBook can also be found in laptops and netbooks that run other OSes.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]cabuck[/nom]Next question: does this issue exist with other mobile computer makers' hardware?Many components that comprise a MacBook can also be found in laptops and netbooks that run other OSes.[/citation]

Im sure this exists with other manufacturers, but here's the difference. What do you do when your laptop starts overheating, and the power button won't turn it off? If you had a PC, you would click the tab and remove the battery, if you have a mac do you now throw it as far away as possible, yell "bomb" and run for your life?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

lol or you hope you have a friend that dives on it in an attempt to save your life :)

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Apple can patent the "iExplode" battery and sell the product to the US military as an antipersonnel device! They'll make a mint, or three.

I actually dislike the typical Apple customer more than the products although I'm no fan of overpriced hardware either.

shannon78

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]coooooool...What's the password, I would buy a mac book just to watch it explode with Angry Birds running on it...[/citation]

the password is: idontdowindows

G

I don't know how exploding a battery can give a person access to your computer...the computer won't work without it...so stupid. I think it is just a defect in the battery. I had one just explode in my old laptop while it was off and not even being used. You want to tell me a hacker did that? I don't think so, especially since I live out in the boondocks! Give me a break all you Mac-haters! I've been using Macs for years and I've used PCs too. Macs are superior computers even if they are over-priced. This is the first issue in nearly 20 years I've ever encountered with them. Everyone is entitled to make mistakes, even the people who manufactured these batteries!

Status
Not open for further replies.