Hackers Makes Modern Warfare 2 Ded. Server?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I don't think the video is conclusive that they were playing on a dedicated server and not just a private match with the Console unlocked. Either way it just shows what kind of variables you can change to mix up game play.

I'm amazed at what the modders have been able to do in such a short period of time. You can download a game for free and play online along with legit versions on IWNet, however you'll be able to use the console, lean, change FoV, etc. It's not that IW didn't code that stuff into the game, they just decided to not let people use it.

Now there's talk that the DLC to be named and released later is already present and can be enabled via the console (like different game modes, maps, perks). The more I hear about this game, the more IW becomes a joke to me. Did they think PC gamers were to stupid to figure out the game code and variables? Looks like there are much more talented modders out there than IW's developers, and they do it for fun.

Snuffles

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]duckofdeath[/nom]This doesn't even appeal to me at all...that game play looks like tribes vengeance with the super jump and all...I was against IW at first...but now after playing online I do like the fact they are trying to even out the playing field...so far i've had a good experience with IW and I and my friends do like how the party system works, where we can use VENTRILO to coordinate the party and use the party system to jump from one game to another. ANother PLUS for IW...if the server/host crashes it transfers to another server/host...you don't lose the game it just pauses while the transfer takes place...BIG WIN in my book..how many ahole server admins dump a game if they are losing or ahole server admins that KICK you if you don't crouch, iron up and then shoot...too many facking rules...you want to play that deep, then play a sim like flash point where ironing up makes you shoot better or MW2 where ironing up does give you a better shot....If you ask me I like the direction IW is going on the PC...too many aholes on the PC side...why do you think more people are going to consoles......My two cents...[/citation]

Post is too long, must be an IW plant.

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]cliffro[/nom]Stupid link didnt show uphttp://www.vgchartz.com/photos/pics/8341922aaa.png[/citation]
"Projected"

Not quite. Halo sold a LOT more than 3.8 million. In a week? That's about how much it sold on the first day.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I'm glad someone figured it out (if its true). Personally, I don't think I would enjoy that type of gameplay, but to each their own.

It sure does suck when the match stops because the game host leaves. I sure love me some dedicated servers...

[citation][nom]alyon[/nom]Modders making IW look like a joke. On top of this you are able to play online, on IWnet, and with whatever lvl/pretige you want with a pirated copy. Excellent security... right. All this within a week of release.[/citation]
Yup. IW just got PWNED!

Modders: 1
IW: 0

At any rate, if modders can do this WTF couldn't IW do it in the first place !?!?!?????

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]What do you care Marcus? You can't play it on a Mac anyway.[/citation]

[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]"Hackers Makes Modern Warfare 2 Ded. Server?" Pluralize either Hackers or Makes -- not both.[/citation]

[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]Toms.HIRE. A. EDITOR.Or better yet use a decent spellcheck. How damn hard is this for you to do?[/citation]

[citation][nom]Sythix[/nom]I like tom's, I really do. But this stuff needs to end.[/citation]

[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Way to go, hackers!Way to not go, Marcus (for typos)![/citation]

This really has to be said and I'm sorry for having to be the one to say it but, you guys are assholes. Genuine Grade-A Assholes.

Who really fucking cares that there is a misspelling or a grammatical error? You knew damn good and well what the author was talking about and it only serves to make you look like a retentive jack-ass when you point these things out.

As for personal attacks against the author's perceived choice of OS, grow the fuck up. It's like we're all back in high school now. Let's pick on the Mac guy because we're PC people and we're cooler. Again, grow the fuck up.

werfu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
He's right about console gamers not giving a damn about what's going on on PC. A "friend" (in his way to drop the title) have been a douche lately because he keeps arguing that PC gaming is dead and that I'm stupid to have downloaded the game while I don't want to buy it. Well I guest I wasn't the only one that wanted to try the game before buying it, especially with all the deceptions IW just threw us in the face. I've went through the single player last night. 5 hours of intense gameplay. The game is nice, graphics are beautiful. But fuck, only 5 hours! This games end on a cliff hanger and leave the door wide open to a follow up. It's a real deception for me. The storyline is impressive and could lead to something really better than how it ends. But I think it really shows that IW/Activision is being greedy and will release DLCs/expensions later on to cash in.

I'd also tell that removing the ability to lean is really stupid and the game becomes a pain in the ass because the only way to take cover is to crouch. So you need to find a place where you can crouch and shoot/take cover.

I'll wait to see IW reaction. If they get their heads out of their asses and release a patch to bring back dedicated servers, 48 players server limits, console and lean, I'll buy it then. Other than that, no way.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
1.) This vid takes way too long showing the same thing

2.) Really, this is the video they came up with to highlight dedicated server support being hacked in? This is crap. What nerdy loser would want to play this? It looks awful and nowhere near fun. Based on this video, it would make perfect sense why IW cut out dedi server.

OF COURSE... I know this is not representative of why most users, myself included, would like dedi's. My point is it is a TERRIBLE video to showcase "look! we made dedis!"

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]Toms.HIRE. A. EDITOR.Or better yet use a decent spellcheck. How damn hard is this for you to do?[/citation]

They don't need to hire AN editor, they have everyone in the comments to do that for free. Plus, a spell checker won't find anything wrong with "hackers makes" because there is nothing spelled wrong there. Grammar checker might work for that though.

mitchmeister03

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ponchato[/nom]"Projected"Not quite. Halo sold a LOT more than 3.8 million. In a week? That's about how much it sold on the first day.[/citation]

Dude, L2Google. Searched "MW2 one week sales" and there are about 50 sites with data showing that MW2 sold over 7 MILLION in the first 24 hours. And obviously you love Halo 3, but it didn't even beat GTA4 in sales, so... why bring it up?

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't think some of you guys understand. The whole point of the video is to prove that dedicated server was made by showing that they actually modified the gameplay of a match game. That doesn't mean they plan on restricting their dedicated server project to force every match to have super jump/infinite ammo/fast fire. Please don't jump to conclusions simply from one video.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]This really has to be said and I'm sorry for having to be the one to say it but, you guys are assholes. Genuine Grade-A Assholes.Who really fucking cares that there is a misspelling or a grammatical error? You knew damn good and well what the author was talking about and it only serves to make you look like a retentive jack-ass when you point these things out.As for personal attacks against the author's perceived choice of OS, grow the fuck up. It's like we're all back in high school now. Let's pick on the Mac guy because we're PC people and we're cooler. Again, grow the fuck up.[/citation]

I am in high school. Nice try though.

teeth_03

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation]Who really fucking cares that there is a misspelling or a grammatical error? You knew damn good and well what the author was talking about and it only serves to make you look like a retentive jack-ass when you point these things out.As for personal attacks against the author's perceived choice of OS, grow the fuck up. It's like we're all back in high school now. Let's pick on the Mac guy because we're PC people and we're cooler. Again, grow the fuck up.[/citation]

As a young adult, I expect publicized news to be grammatically correct. If we don't make sure that the public media uses the English language correctly, then everyone who reads it will start to write like it. Then the young-ins will fail English class and everyone will wonder why.

This isn't an informal forum post. Its news.

You need to grow up and stop letting the English language go down the toilet. Be swift and hard on the news writers, otherwise they will keep making mistakes and never learn.

Now I'm sure you can probably find something incorrect with this reply, but note that I'm not writing news, Marcus is.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
First I would like too say that I have said that someone would make a hack for dedicated servers since they said there wouldn't be any....

Secondly That is exactly why they did not make Dedicated servers (the stupidity of super jump and grenade spamming...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Awesome.
The super jump and grenade spam also looks like fun. =D

Got to love the modding community. They can sometimes come out with the best stuff.

Also, I don't think I've finished a CoD game yet (own CoD3, pirated 4, 5 and 6). Maybe I should stop trying the hardest difficulty already...

Status
Not open for further replies.