Hacking The HP EX470/475 MediaSmart Servers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namssurt

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
We use sql server on an xp server and all it does is run that and act as a print server. Would WHS work for us? Or is the OS hardware or software locked to prevent it stealing sales from regular Windows server systems?

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Dear Namssurt:

In theory, WHS will do nearly anything that Windows Server 2003 can do. In practice, the 20 GB limitation for the system volume in WHS can get in the way, as can access limitations to the WHS console (10-user limit, among other things). See this thread at social.microsoft.com that gets into some issues on this topic: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/053a62d1-f8ee-4ea8-9561-8a712553a3a2/ Here's a guide on how to install a real Windows Server 2003 SP2 image onto the MediaSmart Server hardware: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/053a62d1-f8ee-4ea8-9561-8a712553a3a2/. For more serious SQL server stuff, this might be the trick. According to what I read online, if you can get by with SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, it will work on the MediaSmart server. No evidence of anybody installing the full-blown product on WHS, though...

Print services is no problem. I've got a Dell AIO968 hooked up to my EX475 right now and it works like a charm.

HTH,
--Ed--

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]FrustratedRhino[/nom]I am not trying to grandstand or "soapbox" up a situation, I am trying to help inform the people that if they follow your suggestion they are breaking US and International law.Regardless of what your (or my views) of the law are, I was informing what the law IS[/citation]
You know, if that's what you were doing everything would be fine. But you're not. You're propagating what you THINK the law is, because either you misinterpreted mpaa's interpretation, or they misinterpreted the law to their needs in the first place.

[citation][nom]FrustratedRhino[/nom]"I don't know for sure about us laws, but there is no international law that prohibits you from breaking copy protection or making a backup of an aquired piece of software" http://www.mpaa.org/piracy_IntLaw.aspAgain please do not advocate breaking the law, it is bad for a business.[/citation]
I'm not advocating breaking the law, I'm merely protecting ignorant readers from your propaganda by mentioning the lack of such law you're praying for. You can't be convicted for a crime that wasn't a crime at the time of the incident. So while Obama might want to make the gray zone black & white, you'll have to wait till he does so before you can judge people. You can't just do so because the media distributors failed to adept. And anyway, since Obama seems smart, he might very well come up with a final set of laws that permits what you claim is illigal, and most of the world isn't sure about.

[citation][nom]FrustratedRhino[/nom]"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing" Piracy exists because people are willing to ALLOW grey areas. While I understand you have run out of ways to shoot my logic down and accept your end to the conversation, I never am "willing to agree to disagree" I hope that eventually the law will either be changed or violators will ALL get punished for their misdeeds.[/citation]
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing" I like the quote, but you're abusing it. You fail to correctly identify the good and evil. Consider yourself the one that isn't good. Piracy exists because the middlemen have become obsolete. There isn't a need for companies like warner brothers and electronic arts anymore. These companies don't produce anything. They merely transport goods from developers/producers to the end users. Compare it to a company that wants to transport UPS packages from the ups office to you, even though ups could do that on its own. Piracy is still thieft. True. But if you cut those middlemen, which most of the world would feel confortable doing, the costs for the end user will become low enough to not want to steal anymore. The balance between being a pirate and being law abiding is proportional with the balance between moral and money for that individual. Anyway, the overall problem with your posts isn't piracy. It is that you fail to see the fact, that nobody suggested anyone to conduct anything illigal. Which is an assessment you ignore because you are misinformed.

[citation][nom]etittel[/nom]My final asessment: Get a life RH. Take your RIAA and MPAA quotes to the courts, and spend some money to enforce your point of view: you can't change things by arguing with me, anyway, any more than I can make gray go black and white in my favor.[/citation]
The best post I've read so far this month :)

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Gee Neiro...

Thanks for the post. The dude drove me crazy, because he was so convinced he was in the right and I (or my point of view) completely in the wrong that there was no room for discussion. I didn't kowtow to his philosophy so I became the AntiChrist. Welcome to the club and thanks for your nice summary of the whole situation.

Good thing there are lots of shades of gray, eh?

Thanks again,
--Ed--

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]etittel[/nom]Gee Neiro...Thanks for the post. The dude drove me crazy, because he was so convinced he was in the right and I (or my point of view) completely in the wrong that there was no room for discussion. I didn't kowtow to his philosophy so I became the AntiChrist. Welcome to the club and thanks for your nice summary of the whole situation.Good thing there are lots of shades of gray, eh?Thanks again,--Ed--[/citation]

Well I mainly replied because he attacked me in one of the rants too. Did so rather late though, but I've had a (planned) hospital trip last week, so I haven't read up on all the thread notifications in my mail before now :)

Anyway. The less you reply to people, the better. Take a look at chris - he almost exclusively replies if he's (feeling) forced to, or he replies in a joking manner, or ignores to reply to too serious posts. If that's the right or wrong way to do it I can't tell, but it definetly lets him avoid almost all situations similar to the one here.

Anyway, as I stated on the first page - come with more guides to do alternative stuff.Or perhaps become an expert on bios modding, and make some howto articles about that. It's not uncommon for us commoners to be stuck with motherboards that don't come from msi or gigabyte, and thus not get any bios updates when amd or intel releases new, and theoretically compatible, processors.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'd like to build a Windows Home Server similiar to the HP MediaSmart Server EX487 using an Intel mini-ITX motherboard. Have you seen any PC case/enclosures similiar to the EX487? I haven't found one.

joedrummer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
There is a BIOS hack I' interested in, have heard rumors is possible, but have not seen a good step-by-step on how to pull it off. Perhaps you can help...

One drawback of the 47x is that in the event of a power loss, the computer stays off. Yes, I know, I should have a UPS on it... but I don't. Most BIOS have an option you can set to "leave off", "turn on", or "return to prior state". It is the latter that I have all my PCs set to, and being a server, seems would have been the most useful setting... if you lose power, it would simply turn itself back on. Alas, it doesn't, it stays off.

So, any thoughts on how to access that part of the BIOS to set it to return to prior state, aka, turn itself back on if the power goes out?

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
If you look around on Alex Kuretz' site www.mediasmartserver.net, you'll find this item covered there somewhere. I'm dealing with a flaky machine right now (just got a "seriously corrupt file" error inside Outlook) or I'd look it up for you. Maybe later I'll dig it up and post again here, but right now I can only tell you (a) it's somewhere on that site, and (b) I'll try to provide it later. Sorry for the inconvenience.
--Ed--

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
OK found it: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/01/09/how-to-unlock-the-ex487-bios/. There are BIOS settings you can use to change the default restart behavior documented here.
--Ed--

G

I noticed that the new EX48* versions come with upgraded software (WHS Admin console & control center). Does anyone know if these upgrades will be made available to EX47* owners?

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
To AndrewLine:

The software upgrades for the 48* MediaSmarts have been rumored to be headed for an update for the older 47* models, but so far, such an update has not materialized. Maybe I should contact HP to ask them about that point-blank? It would be good to know, for sure.

Thanks for asking. I'll see what I can find out.
--Ed--

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
To Neiro...

About memory timings on the EX48* models: memory timings on the EX47* models are likewise conservative. Remember: this is a small, headless, server-oriented box. If you look at Windows Server memory (especially ECC and/or registered varieties), it too tends to be slower and to be timed more conservatively than desktops, and is also very seldom overclocked. I have to believe that HP decided to emphasize stability and cooler operation over increased performance in sticking with SPD values and in clocking its designs.

HTH, and thanks for sharing that observation with us. A quick jump over to my EX475 shows that its DDR2 timings are: 5-5-5-12 for the Patriot 2GB DDR2-800 module I used for upgrade; SPD values are likewise 5-5-5-12. Perhaps that simply means that the BIOS reads and uses SPD values? If so, that would indicate that HP chose slower more conservative RAM deliberately...

--Ed--

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I know HP likes to slow down memory, but there's really no point in doing so. My dc7800 I use here for work has xms2 pc6400c4 memory and what's the bios doing ? it's running the memory at 667 5-5-5-15 ; and the dx2000 with pc3200 is running pc2100. But still. It's slow, and there's no point in that. Sure on servers with ecc memory it might be plausible. These might need to run for 10 years straight, and thus endurance is more important than speed. But no home nas is going to sit around for 5+ years nor does the average desktop.

Anyway, could be the storage system's running at spd values, and they've fitted very low cheap memory.

etittel

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
To Neiro...:

SPD + slow, cheap memory selection = that's what I think, too. But if the box is using SPD values, that also suggests that upgrading memory might be worth it anyway. We'll have to see about that: I'll ask Alex Kuretz (www.mediasmartserver.net) if he's tried any experiments, and do likewise with Donavon West (www.homeserverhacks.com).

Thanks for asking,
--Ed--

G

New Ex485 (newEgg) can be had for $450 now. Ex470 are 325 (eCost). Is this upgrade worth it? Especially as the new update looks like it's only for 485 hardware?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]test123@test123com[/nom]New Ex485 (newEgg) can be had for $450 now. Ex470 are 325 (eCost). Is this upgrade worth it? Especially as the new update looks like it's only for 485 hardware?[/citation]
As stated serveral times in the comments already, the upgrade is more or less only worth it if you already own the nas, or if you can get it quite cheaply. And only a memory upgrade is truely worth the expense save for the challenge.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006

In the US... Costco has the latest version for 499 I think, and it has 1.5 of storage... You have to put in the second 500GB HDD yourself though.

zimfromirk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Excellent article. Ignore the naysayers who wonder why a writeup is necessary to upgrade a standard PC. I bought my EX475 in December of 2007 (the EX470 was way backordered), upgraded the memory to 2GB within a couple of months (HP: no excuse for shipping this thing with only 512MB of memory) with the help of the "Home Server Hacks" blog. I've been working with PCs since the original dual-floppy IBM PC (actually, TRS-80 before that) and it's not at all obvious how to disassemble this thing and advice about not stripping the tiny screws is really helpful (I probably would have given up, assumed they were non-removable and wasted time trying to find another way into the thing). The memory upgrade made a big difference when bringing up the remote console -- before, it would sometimes shuck and jive for a minute or two, and after it was a matter of seconds.

I bought the EX475 because I was looking for a turnkey solution for backing up the five machines in my house. It does that (well, it does it since last summer now that the WHS data corruption bug has been fixed -- very frustrating), and anything else is gravy.

Now someone just needs to build a version of this that I can bolt down or hide in my walls -- no good having a complete backup of everything on my network if it gets swiped. I realize online backup exists, but TimeWarner would freak if I uploaded 3GB of data.

simon b

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Ed
I am new to this site. I have followed the links that you provide. The link work for all but the winflash file, in your dir listing the version that you shown does not match the version that you suggest to download, can you please indivat the correct version or send me a link to the correct location

-SimonB-

docthomas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Is there a recommended order for doing the upgrade? Should you upgrade the bios before installing the new processor? Or install the processor and than update the bios?

G

Ed, Please help-out here.... I've spent almost 2 full days looking for an AWARD WinFlash v2.0.1.5 Some other wise-aker has decided to name their "Flash Card educational software" WinFlash... and it seems to have obliterated most other copies everywhere... I managed to find a v1.17 and that's the best I can do.... ATI also have a WinFlash v2.0.1.5 that works on their graphics cards.... help !!

G

I have one of these and it won't boot up correctly (except for two times). The problem is I can't see the BIOS to know what's wrong. I wonder how HP techs checked out the BIOS of those units still under warranty. Anyways, what I'd really like to do now is remake it into a server I can use with a connection for a monitor too. It's an attractive case and would make a nice multi-HDD HTPC or something. It's better than my idea to find a regional HP HQ and throw the case into a manager's Porsche*. Um... Has anyone ever converted these to something that works with non-proprietary hardware?

*The Server Recovery process deleted 10 years of photos and records in PDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.