Hackintosh Maker Releases Liquid-cooled Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Dell? Really? try something like CyberPowerPC.com, unless you like to pay double of the actual price for any part upgrade. even that you already pay for the primary part on the original build price.

justinjkiss

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
are u an stupid... if you build your own you might be able to make a Hackintosh.... if you buy from Dell you WONT be able to make a Hackintosh....

This article is about hackintosh not price comparisons and you did an apples to oranges comparison. have you ever priced a Mac Pro?

DrInfested

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I'm not a big Apple fan, but I think that Tom's Hardware would do well to stop throwing in jabs at Apple in their articles. It's not very professional.

At any rate, I would love to own such a computer, but unfortunately, installing Mac OS X on a non Apple machine breaks the EULA, so I won't be doing it.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Why are they using and older generation video card, why not a 460?[/citation]

NVIDIA 285 GTX configured to take advantage of the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine

The 460 does not support AMPE with current Nvidia drivers.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]AseTek[/nom] they feature a sealed liquid loop that is reliable and eliminates customer maintenance. This is the type of elegance Apple enthusiasts treasure.[/citation]

Meaning even the manufacturer knows Mac users can't do anything without their hand being held :p

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]what do mac users need with a 6-core high-end system? do itunes and garage band really hog up that much power?[/citation]

iTunes, probably... lol

[citation][nom]drinfested[/nom]I'm not a big Apple fan, but I think that Tom's Hardware would do well to stop throwing in jabs at Apple in their articles. It's not very professional.At any rate, I would love to own such a computer, but unfortunately, installing Mac OS X on a non Apple machine breaks the EULA, so I won't be doing it.[/citation]

Never!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
What? Maby a "apple" that actually might deliver some performance (Thoo outdated gpu in win-PC standards atleast for the rest of the hardware), not the ordinaly one or two generation old crap slapped together in a shiny case!

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Why are they using and older generation video card, why not a 460?[/citation]
Because it is for people who want to run MAC OS, they might not notice or care, and it's cheaper. It also has 12GB of RAM, which is not necessary. This is for bragging rights, and caters to the same crowd that would want a Mac Pro anyways, so why even bother trying to justify this thing? Or it's price?

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]The 460 does not support AMPE with current Nvidia drivers.[/citation]
Well, this is a more reasonable response. I stand by my 12 GB comment though.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]what do mac users need with a 6-core high-end system? do itunes and garage band really hog up that much power?[/citation]
No, but apple computers are about status more than what they do. Most people own an apple because it's a trendy status symbol.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
a mac pro with 2x quadcore xeon with AMD 5870 card and no SSD will cost you over $4000.
Apple needs to protect its bottom line so it will go after this company just like it did former mac clone start-ups.

I just built a core i7-930 + GTX250 mac clone for my younger brother for $1250. The equivalent Mac pro was over 4000 if you include an apple display. Such a rip off

G

Within the last few years especially there have been many skilled and intelligent techies that have began to run OS X. Just because someone uses a mac doesn't mean they are like your 50 year old relative with a first gen iMac and OS 9 (and clueless).

With that said, I don't think any person that has been a "mac person" would go for this. To many painful memories of the old Power Mac G5's leaking.

G

lol...gtx 285 for the special adobe driver thingy

they could use a 5870 though

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
The liberator companies of Apple tax (not referring to open source community), will gladly set you free for half the Apple tax... and will turn the other way around when you accidentally update your system and things break up.

Run a hackintosh for fun i can understand, I do it myself too, but buy a workstation machine and part from $4k just to run a patched version of an OS running the same programs (aka Adobe) as Windows, I just don't get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.