[SOLVED] HAF X fan layout and exhaust placement options?

zak88lx

Commendable
Mar 6, 2021
Hello,

I am using an old HAF X case for my new PC build.
I have upgraded all case fans to Noctua PWM and the CPU cooler is a be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (50.5 CFM)

I am not sure on optimal placement of the exhaust fans, but current config will be a positive pressure setup, fairly close to neutral.
I was thinking of some optional configs (see below) and was hoping for some feedback or recommendations on the setup.

Here's the current configuration:
HAF-X-Fan-config.jpg

Option 1:
Keep the current config as-is?

Option 2:
Move the 140mm exhaust fan from the rear to the vacant spot on top (front), and have both exhaust fans on top and nothing in rear?

Option 3:
Leave the rear 140mm exhaust fan where it is, but move the single top 140mm exhaust fan from top (rear) to the vacant opening top (front)?

Option 4: (Negative pressure)
Leave the rear 140mm exhaust fan where it is, leave the top (front) 140mm exhaust fan where it is, and add a third 140mm exhaust fan to the vacant opening top (front)?

Here is hardware list for PC build:

The fan configuration is:

-CPU cooler (be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 250W TDP)
-Front intake (Noctua NF-A20 PWM 200mm)
-Side intake (Noctua NF-A20 PWM 200mm)
-Rear exhaust (Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm)
-Top exhaust (Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm)

For hardware I am running the following:

-Mobo (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570)
-CPU (AMD Ryzen 5950X)
-Video (ASUS TUF 3070 Ti)
-PSU (ASUS ROG Strix 1000W)
-Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws 32G)
-Storage (980 PRO M.2 SSD 1TB and 980 PRO M.2 SSD 2 TB)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I vote keep current layout. You want to keep a good flow. Since you have an air cooling cpu cooler, you want the hot air coming off the cooler to not get stuck or to break the flow of it out of the case. Your current exhaust fan setup works well with that.
I vote keep current layout. You want to keep a good flow. Since you have an air cooling cpu cooler, you want the hot air coming off the cooler to not get stuck or to break the flow of it out of the case. Your current exhaust fan setup works well with that.

Reactions: zak88lx
Solution