Half-Life 3 Rumored to Have RPG, Open World Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arls

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
If they can pull off HL with an RPG element....it could be awesome. However something about HL+RPG doesn't sound right together.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I am so stoked!!! that i think im going to die prior to its release due to over driven biological systems.

I also hope, just like HL2/Source that revolutionized computer games by impressive lighting, facial animation and PHYSICS!!, they would push the boundaries further and show off something extra ordinary.

I would love realtime fluid physics, far better real time dynamic GI/Radiosity than what is shown on CryEngine 3++/FB 2 and UE4, better AA solution, great AI and since valve is going toward VR, PLEASE figure out how to actually SIMULATE sound because that would be EPIC.

see sound simulation on HL2 by researchers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQt1jtDBNK4

nightbird321

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
Well at least we don't have to worry about them pulling an Origin and offering their game only on the new Valve console, they wouldn't snub Steam :)

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
It's Valve the game is done when it is damn well ready and done. It won't fall down the path of Duke Nukem and go through several hands of people and get built/scraped and rebuilt and scraped again until nothing is left.

Have faith in Valve they haven't let us down yet, so far they are on of the few game companies we can have faith in so don't don't lose that.

oneano

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
hybrid games area really taking off lately and I can see HL3 doing just that. Borderlands2, GuildWars2 are both examples of cross genre games that are incredible. If anyone can do it, it will be Valve.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Heck yeah finally something about HL3!

Sources claim that the game won't make an appearance until after 2013.
This is a big letdown, but at least it's a time-frame (vague at that though). If it holds true for a 2014 or a little later release date, that marks a decade after the original - wow. I didn't think it would take this long, at least episodes 1 and 2 filled the void for a couple of years afterwards though.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
So no one at Valve has realized that the thing that sucks most about Elder Scrolls is the Radiance system? After the bullshit that was CS: GO I'm not inclined to feel positive about this new direction.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Fucking consoles held back so much progress. This game should have come out years ago. Im a huge half life fanboy, but I'm really really tired of waiting. Suddenly i am wonderingif this game can even partially live up to the hype. I have never waivered from thinking HL3 would be insanely great until now. I wonder if they are trying to do too much instead of just making a game that is still half life ... The game we all love.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I find it funny that anything these days that describes a game that isn't 2-dimensional "follow this path" is deemed RPG.

This rumor of HL3 sounds exactly like Deus Ex HR--and I wouldn't call that a RPG. It's a mission-based game, only with side-missions. Sounds great to me, I really enjoyed Deus Ex HR, I really enjoyed the HL series. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
The best thing about HL was that the game actually had a proper story line, not just nice graphics. What other FPS out there had a story line as good and long as HL?

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Not sure about the open world elements. The essence of half life was it's unbroken & laser straight linearity, allowing it to deliver an incredibly immersive & story driven experience. It was groundbreaking & inspiring for succeeding generations of game developers. I would be more than happy if Valve manages to come up with yet another knockout punch using open world gameplay; but I think they should just stick to their strengths. IMO, where open world succeeds is when you have a great graphics engine (think cry engine of Crysis) where sometimes you just want to explore the world & admire it's beauty. Is Source 2 equal to the task? We'l have to wait & find out ...
Of course, Gabe Newell knows it better than me ... bt this is just my two cents.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The team has reportedly been so inspired by Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series that they want NPCs and "quests".

If any Crapple lawyers are reading this, they'd recommend Bethesda to sue Valve.

Apple has messed up everyone's mind forever.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Me want and me must have. Take my money![/citation]
[citation][nom]Gman450[/nom]Half Life had always interested me. The game's plot, gameplay and almost all of the other elements are unique. And now with this, I'm even more excited for HL3.[/citation]
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]It's Valve the game is done when it is damn well ready and done. It won't fall down the path of Duke Nukem and go through several hands of people and get built/scraped and rebuilt and scraped again until nothing is left.Have faith in Valve they haven't let us down yet, so far they are on of the few game companies we can have faith in so don't don't lose that.[/citation]
I'm with you three guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.