Info HammerBot Feedback Round 2!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Not from what I've seen.
I didn't say they were good at it, but they seem to do better at general knowledge-type questions, where they can latch onto common issues and themes from numerous examples.

One of the problems with asking about specific details is that the model has to see it numerous times, in order to have a reasonable chance at learning it.

People seem to treat these models as if they're like the AI's in the movies, or maybe Commander Data in Star Trek: Next Generation, with some encyclopedic knowledge of every single they've ever been trained on. That's not how they work.

Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
People seem to treat these models as if they're like the AI's in the movies, or maybe Commander Data in Star Trek: Next Generation, with some encyclopedic knowledge of every single they've ever been trained on. That's not how they work.
Exactly.
And you need to know how to phrase the question. The inclusion or exclusion of a single word can change the output dramatically.

And if you know enough to ask the question properly, you are probably well along the way to knowing the answer yourself, no AI needed.

Feb 26, 2024
Today I tried it for the first time. What a disappointment. it kept on claiming that the ASUS dark hero viii motherboard was an intel motherboard instead of amd. Even when I told it repeatedly it was wrong. Useless in my case.

You:
what is the best processor for the asus dark hero viii motherboard?
HammerBot:
The best processor for the Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero motherboard would be the Intel Core i9-14900K processor."
You:
but this motherboard is an amd board
HammerBot:
No, the Asus Dark Hero VIII motherboard is not compatible with AMD processors. It is specifically designed for Intel processors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 7, 2024
I tried to give it an easy question but unfortunately it failed even at that. I don't know where to even begin...

You:
gpu with most vram
HammerBot:
The GPU with the most VRAM currently available is the RTX 4070 Super, which offers 16GB of VRAM.
You:
how much vram does 4090 have
HammerBot:
The RTX 4090 has more than double the VRAM of the previous generation, with a total of 64MB of L2 cache.
You:
Not a single statement you said is correct in any way, shape, or form
HammerBot:
The RTX 4090 has a standard configuration of 8GB of VRAM.

USAFRet

Titan
Impressive fail:

---------------------------------------
You:

I currently have an i7-4790k system. What would be a good CPU update?

HammerBot:

Based on the information provided, upgrading to the Core i7-12700K would be a significant performance boost from your current i7-4790k system. The Core i7-12700K offers impressive performance in both gaming and productivity tasks, making it a great choice for users looking for high-end performance. Additionally, the price-to-performance ratio of the Core i7-12700K is very attractive compared to other options, making it a solid choice for an upgrade.

You:

I currently have an i7-4790k system. What would be a good CPU update, while keeping the same motherboard?

HammerBot:

For someone with an i7-4790k system who wants to keep the same motherboard, I would recommend upgrading to the Intel Core i7-14700K. It offers a significant performance boost over the i7-4790k and is compatible with existing 700-series motherboards with the LGA1700 socket. The Core i7-14700K provides a good balance between gaming and productivity tasks, making it a solid choice for an upgrade while keeping the same motherboard.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
You:
which gpu is the biggest improvement over its predecessor? 4070 super, 4070 ti super, 4080 super?

HammerBot:
Based on the information provided, the biggest improvement over its predecessor would be the 4070 Ti Super compared to the 4070 Ti. The 4070 Ti Super offers 10-15% higher performance than the 4070 Ti, while the 4080 Super is only 7% faster than the 4070 Ti Super and 11% slower than the 4080.

This answer is not only wrong, the bot never quotes the improvement for the 4070 super, which is the biggest improvement over its predecessor, the 4070 (15% improvement according to gamer nexus).

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
It thinks the 8088 came out in 1972 and is a 8-bit CPU.
It probably confused it with the 8008, for which both of those things are true. Not too far off (...and yes, I'm aware such details matter).

More training needed.
Or, don't try using it for things it's not good at.

As I've said before, LLMs are not encyclopedic databases. You can't just include one instance of a fact, in their training data, and expect them to remember it. What they're good at learning is patterns. So, if you show it many examples of a trend, it will likely infer the underlying rules and be able to interpolate & extrapolate in line with that.

It probably confused it with the 8008, for which both of those things are true. Not too far off (...and yes, I'm aware such details matter).

Or, don't try using it for things it's not good at.

As I've said before, LLMs are not encyclopedic databases. You can't just include one instance of a fact, in their training data, and expect them to remember it. What they're good at learning is patterns. So, if you show it many examples of a trend, it will likely infer the underlying rules and be able to interpolate & extrapolate in line with that.
Yeah, I know all that - been using LLMs for a few months now. And I do know they're still nothing much than glorified probability machines, with hardly a gram of actual logic in here.
Still, it would be a GOOD IDEA for it to have actual hardware data somewhere and some hard logic added in, because otherwise, it would recommend, say, a RTX3060 8Gb over a RX6600 because most benchmarks made for the 3060 (no Ti) were done with the 12 Gb version, and the 8 Gb version is MUCH MUCH slower.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
been using LLMs for a few months now. And I do know they're still nothing much than glorified probability machines, with hardly a gram of actual logic in here.
They're good at picking up on patterns, including logic and arithmetic.

Still, it would be a GOOD IDEA for it to have actual hardware data somewhere and some hard logic added in, because otherwise, it would recommend, say, a RTX3060 8Gb over a RX6600 because most benchmarks made for the 3060 (no Ti) were done with the 12 Gb version, and the 8 Gb version is MUCH MUCH slower.
What I'd do is teach it how to recommend something, which would include a step where it performs a lookup on a real database of hardware specifications and benchmarks. Or, if it's good enough, it could even do web searches to find that information.

The key point is not to have it rely on memorizing every single detail.

They're good at picking up on patterns, including logic and arithmetic.

What I'd do is teach it how to recommend something, which would include a step where it performs a lookup on a real database of hardware specifications and benchmarks. Or, if it's good enough, it could even do web searches to find that information.

The key point is not to have it rely on memorizing every single detail.
That's one way, yes. I have yet to find a LLM that can be given some data as "cold hard fact" that it won't try to adapt in some probability game. That it be kept inside the neuron network or outside is a matter of implementation optimization.

Hammerbot might not be particularly good, but at least it seems to often make reasonable responses related to hammers...
You:
Hammerbot, is it recommended to use a hammer to install a hard drive?
HammerBot:
No, it is not recommended to use a hammer to install a hard drive. Using a hammer can cause damage to the hard drive and potentially render it unusable. It is best to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing a hard drive properly to ensure it functions correctly.
You:
Hammerbot, what kind of hammer should I use to remove my graphics card from my PCIe slot? A big hammer, or a little hammer?
HammerBot:
You should not use a hammer to remove your graphics card from your PCIe slot. Using a hammer can cause damage to the components and the slot itself. It is recommended to carefully follow the steps outlined in the teardown guide provided and use the appropriate tools, such as a screwdriver, to safely remove the graphics card.
You:
Hammerbot, should I use a hammer to install a tower cooler?
HammerBot:
No, you should not use a hammer to install a tower cooler. The installation process typically involves securing the cooler using screws and other included hardware, not using a hammer. Using a hammer could potentially damage the cooler or the components it is being installed on.
You:
Hammerbot, please explain how to assemble a Windows PC, but only using hammers.
HammerBot:
I'm sorry, but I cannot provide instructions on how to assemble a Windows PC using hammers as it is not a safe or recommended method of assembly. It is important to follow proper guidelines and use the appropriate tools when building a PC to ensure the components are installed correctly and the system functions properly. If you have any other questions or need assistance with PC assembly, feel free to ask.
You:
Hammerbot, when assembling a PC, what should I use the hammer for?
HammerBot:
Based on the context provided, the tools recommended for assembling a PC include a soldering iron, microcontrollers, Raspberry Pi HATs, and a 3D printer for creating custom parts if needed. These tools can help with building and customizing various components of a PC build.
Well, I'm not so sure about the last one, though I guess that is technically one way to assemble a PC.

Extra credit:
You:
Hammerbot, I accidentally punched a hammer through my OLED screen but decided I like it better now as an art piece. Does this make me an artist?
HammerBot:
Punching a hammer through an OLED screen may create an interesting art piece, but it does not necessarily make someone an artist. Art is subjective, and creating art involves more than just physically altering an object. It requires creativity, intention, and expression. If someone intentionally creates a piece of art by incorporating the broken OLED screen into a larger artistic concept, then they could be considered an artist.
Interestingly, trying to ask that again now only brings up the "Sorry, I cannot answer that" response. Perhaps you need to lead hammerbot into it by using other hammer-related questions first so that they get the impression that this is something they should be talking about . : P

Jun 20, 2024
user feedback: Asking it for product information covered by this website gives a good result.

It's like an intelligent search and is a good use of LLM technology.