Hands On with Motorola's Cheapest Smartphone, the Moto E

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014
Looks like Google got Greedy

jkjk

Its a pretty decent phone and it is affordable indeed. But the price isnt low enough. Not enough to justify buying it over the Moto G at least anyways. For the people in developing countries where $50 can mean saving for like 4 more months this is going to be a great phone!

boo radley007

Reputable
May 13, 2014
I have a trusty Samsung galaxy appeal that I have had for over two years. Pretty low end with android 2.3. Bottom line it suits my purposes well. A little bigger screen would be nice but I prefer being able to put in in my pocket. I think it only has 2 gig of storage but I have not filled it up yet. It has 512mb of ram which is bare minimum but my app killer app keeps everyone in line. I also like the real slide out keyboard. I wouldn't spend more than $150 for a phone because I am very rough on small electronic devices and would soon go broke replacing iphones or other expensive products. I like the 5mp camera and 1gb ram and the larger screen compared to mine. Also since I use voice search and speech to text often I like that it runs kit kat. I don't watch videos on my phone?!?! so thats not an issue. 3g is ok for me but I am worried that it will be phased out of networks soon. I use straight talk 45/mo unlimited plan.

Bottom line: this is designed for people like me for whom the phone is a tool not a lifestyle.

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014

jkjk

Its a pretty decent phone and it is affordable indeed. But the price isnt low enough. Not enough to justify buying it over the Moto G at least anyways. For the people in developing countries where $50 can mean saving for like 4 more months this is going to be a great phone!

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014

jkjk

hannibal

Distinguished
It is Lenovo now and they want to make profit. If there is not Nexus phones any more in the future, we can expect some rice in average price. Fortunately the One is coming, so there still is affordable alternatives!

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
In India, the Moto G 8GB variant costs $209 (the 16GB one costs $225) and the Moto E has been launched at $117. So a $92 differential definitely makes it much more attractive than it is in the US with such a small difference in price.

I'm probably going to get this for my Mom or maybe the ZenFone 5 once it's launched later this month, depending on the price.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I don't think people understand how great your phone is without Samsung, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc dumping all their crap on it. The entire MOTO Brand (maybe just the Moto X, which is what I have experience with) is owned by LENOVO now , BTW not Google. Anywho, I've had experience with Samsung G4 and it's slackware is annoying. Just give me pure android anyday.

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Moto E has been launched in India for 6999 rupees which translates into $117.6 as per today's rates. Just a little over the magic price of $109. Five of my friends have already ordered it!

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
While it does sounds like a decent low budget smart phone for once, it would still be worth it to spend a little more and get the Moto G if nothing else for the extra internal storage. Even if you can add a microSD card, apps can't be installed on it with the latest version of Android. A smart phone isn't much to use without apps.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Thick, small screen, and ugly.

This is no more revolutionary than any other budget smartphone was from 2-3 years ago; which is to say, not very. This is akin to using an LG Optimus Elite in 2011. The only difference is now we have hardware tech that is 2-3 years more advanced while the software and services haven't advanced as fast, so it appears you're getting a great device.

While I will admit, the 'flagship' devices from the major manufacturers are very high priced, I have also never had a good experience using lower-end phones, no matter how promising. I give Moto respect, more for the G than this E, but mostly for the X.

While I don't want to be too pessimistic, each time I used a low-mid range device, the experience was always poor, insofar as that now, for a device I'm using all day, I'd so much rather pay the arm-and-leg for flagship devices, because the experience is much better. Sure, not as much bang-for-buck, but definitely fewer frustrations and dissatisfactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.