• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 9, 2020
Experiencing the same issues as described here. I will apply the "PCI Express > Link State Power Management>Off" possible fix mentioned above and see how it goes.
Specs:
  • ASRock B450M Pro4 (Latest BIOS, AGESA 1.0.0.4)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super (Crashes were a lot more frequent on 446.14 compared to the previous 445.87.)
  • RAM 16 GB 3200 MHZ
  • Using Windows 10 Pro 1909 build.

May 22, 2020
If anyone is wondering; the AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5 patch completely solved the issue for me . After updating my BIOS I haven't had a problem for weeks.

May 28, 2020
If anyone is wondering; the AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5 patch completely solved the issue for me . After updating my BIOS I haven't had a problem for weeks.
That is great news to hear. I haven't had an issue since doing the 436.48 driver reinstall though it only has been about a week and a half. I will have to wait until ASRock decides to update my mobos bios to AGESA 1.0.0.5.

cryptelon

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
I haven't had any issues after doing these steps, however it has only been 4 days so I am not sure if the issue is gone forever.

• Setting PCI Express > Link State Power Management to "Off" in Windows Power Settings
  • Setting Power Management Mode > Prefer Maximum Performance in NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Updating AMD Chipset driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4 (This includes a PCI Express driver as well so might worth a shot)

I will probably reverse the GPU Power Management Mode since it runs quite hot even while on idle (around 57C ) and will update if I encounter the issue again.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020
Chiming in to say I have this issue too. EVGA RTX 2080 Super, Ryzen 7 3700X and ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING

I just tried the above power settings, hopefully it helps. Even if that works through, its not really much of a fix...

Finger crossed for a BIOS update from Asus that could maybe help. I have a case open with EVGA, but I feel like getting a replacment card probably won't even help

May 13, 2020
Chiming in to say I have this issue too. EVGA RTX 2080 Super, Ryzen 7 3700X and ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING

I just tried the above power settings, hopefully it helps. Even if that works through, its not really much of a fix...

Finger crossed for a BIOS update from Asus that could maybe help. I have a case open with EVGA, but I feel like getting a replacment card probably won't even help
Have the same motherboard and have been checking the support site daily hoping to see AGESA 1.0.0.5 update. Haven't had the issue in a couple of weeks and just this afternoon it froze up while in the middle of a Teams call. This experience really brings me back to the bad old days of the WIn 9x kernel and random freezes/BSODs.

Jun 18, 2020
Gigabyte X570 Elite
Ryzen 3700x
MSI RTX 2070 super gaming x trio
Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200
be quiet pure power 11 600W

I have tried with the new F20 bios but its still the same. when i run a gpu stress test for example. i get a blackscreen after some time and i have to hard reset my system. only thing that comes up is either nvlddmkm or Nvidia OpenGL Driver errors in the event viewer. The problem got worse with every driver update.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020
ok, i have updated my windows now, to 2004 and my gpu driver to 455.38. did a gpu stresstest for some time and had no crashes. i really dont think this fixed it tbh. it will come back...i know it. : (

May 13, 2020
Gigabyte X570 Elite
Ryzen 3700x
MSI RTX 2070 super gaming x trio
Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200
be quiet pure power 11 600W

I have tried with the new F20 bios but its still the same. when i run a gpu stress test for example. i get a blackscreen after some time and i have to hard reset my system. only thing that comes up is either nvlddmkm or Nvidia OpenGL Driver errors in the event viewer. The problem got worse with every driver update.
ok, i have updated my windows now, to 2004 and my gpu driver to 455.38. did a gpu stresstest for some time and had no crashes. i really dont think this fixed it tbh. it will come back...i know it. : (
I'm not sure if the issue is caused by a prolonged stressing of the GPU. From my experience and from others' posts it looks like the issue occurs when the GPU goes from a low power state to a high power state and it's not something that happens consistently. For me it has occurred about 5 times since I've upgraded to a 2070 in April.

Jun 18, 2020
i know and that worries me. but everything began with this exact issue everyone else is having. while browsing or watching video, the system stutters>freezes>blackscreen. i just hope they are related.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020
I've had more problems since my last message indicating that I installed the nvidia 436.48 driver.

Except today haha

But it's a bit different, the problem is on minecraft, I still have a nvlddmkm id 14 error but moreover I have openGl driver errors.

So, I don't know what I think, I'm still waiting for an update agesa 1.0.0.5 but it doesn't seem to move =S

It's really starting to annoy me: we've got high-performance hardware, but on the driver side, there's nothing that works.

It's boring.
When I spoke with nvidia support, it was a big surprise to discover their incompetence.
They told me that the graphics card (an rtx 2070) is too weak for my processor (3700x) and that it could cause incompatibility.

I really don't know where to turn to to make myself heard.

Jun 14, 2020
After changing the power options on Sunday I have had no crashes yet, but who knows how much longer that will last

Either way, I don't accept this as a fix. It should be stable all stock. EVGA is doing a Cross-ship RMA, I figured I may as well give it a shot

I just wish I had a way to 100% reproduce the error

May 13, 2020
I've had more problems since my last message indicating that I installed the nvidia 436.48 driver.

Except today haha

But it's a bit different, the problem is on minecraft, I still have a nvlddmkm id 14 error but moreover I have openGl driver errors.

So, I don't know what I think, I'm still waiting for an update agesa 1.0.0.5 but it doesn't seem to move =S

It's really starting to annoy me: we've got high-performance hardware, but on the driver side, there's nothing that works.

It's boring.
When I spoke with nvidia support, it was a big surprise to discover their incompetence.
They told me that the graphics card (an rtx 2070) is too weak for my processor (3700x) and that it could cause incompatibility.

I really don't know where to turn to to make myself heard.
Too weak!?!? Was this some kind of language barrier answer?

Since this only seems to be 3rd gen Ryzens and nVidia RTX hardware I'd say we should post on the official forums of either of these two companies. Is there another 3rd party forum that may have a large enough audience that would cause either of these companies to notice?

Edit:

I posted on the nVidia forums - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/384784/event-id-14-nvlddmkm/

My post on the AMD forums is being approved but someone seems to be having something similar: https://community.amd.com/thread/254228

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020
Built my PC in December,2019 only started having the same issue everyone's having this month (June 2020) when I decided to plug in a dual monitor. Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB STRIX, Ryzen 7 3800X and Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4

Diceman_2037

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
If you continue to have this following the AMD Agesa updates, your only recourse is to RMA the CPU and Mainboard.

This is not an nvidia driver issue.
It is a hardware PCIE PHY issue.

Yes, it can also be the Graphics card itself, rarely.

May 13, 2020
If you continue to have this following the AMD Agesa updates, your only recourse is to RMA the CPU and Mainboard.

This is not an nvidia driver issue.
It is a hardware PCIE PHY issue.

Yes, it can also be the Graphics card itself, rarely.
I'd love to see if an AGESA update fixes it but last time my board got an update was in November to 1.0.0.4b

Jun 20, 2020
Too weak!?!? Was this some kind of language barrier answer?

Since this only seems to be 3rd gen Ryzens and nVidia RTX hardware I'd say we should post on the official forums of either of these two companies. Is there another 3rd party forum that may have a large enough audience that would cause either of these companies to notice?

Edit:

I posted on the nVidia forums - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/384784/event-id-14-nvlddmkm/

My post on the AMD forums is being approved but someone seems to be having something similar: https://community.amd.com/thread/254228
Unfortunately it's not only AMD issue though. I've i7-9700K and I'm also experiencing the same issues with RTX 2080. Tried older nVidia drivers but crashed still. Power option I haven't yet tested.

May 13, 2020
Unfortunately it's not only AMD issue though. I've i7-9700K and I'm also experiencing the same issues with RTX 2080. Tried older nVidia drivers but crashed still. Power option I haven't yet tested.
That's interesting. So now the common culprit is RTX.

Can you check event viewer and see if around the time you got the Event ID 14 error you had any WHEA errors as well? Some guy responded to my post on the nVidia forums and brought up the PCI-E bus being a cause (his overall rudeness reminded me why I absolutely HATE going there)

Jun 20, 2020

Can you check event viewer and see if around the time you got the Event ID 14 error you had any WHEA errors as well? Some guy responded to my post on the nVidia forums and brought up the PCI-E bus being a cause (his overall rudeness reminded me why I absolutely HATE going there)
Haven't seen any WHEA errors there, only Event ID 14 from nvlddmkm and hasn't (so far at least) happened during gaming so it does seem that it's power switching related

Aravind92

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014

Yeah, I replied there as well. He absolutely abhors AMD from the looks of it. About, making the issue known to nvidia and amd on a bigger forum.

I've written a long email to hardware unboxed the youtube channel, they have in the past called out companies openly, AMD has been very responsive to their videos, on both their gpu drivers issue and B450 4000 series support matter. I've requested them to do a piece on this or atleast include it in their Q & A videos as a bit.

I wrote to their email address specified for business enquiries, so fingers crossed. Hope something comes of it.

I have to say turing and nvidia has a part to play in this definitely, it happens on completely stable systems before the turing upgrade, so its both nvidia and amd's problem, nvidia can't just piont at AMD and the same goes for AMD as well.

Jun 20, 2020
I have updated my mobo BIOS to latest F20a on the release date / June 16.
As for now PC is running stable and I didn't experienced any issues.
Latest nvlddmkm event I have is from June 15.
Before bios upgrade PC was freezing every 4-5 days, usually when watching youtube/twitch in Firefox.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z
G.SKILL Sniper X 16 GB KIT

AMD AGESA Version: ComboAM4v2PI 1.0.0.2

Diceman_2037

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
The 9700 and 9900 processors are also known to have pcie faults, so it is neither a widespread card or driver issue.

Yeah, I replied there as well. He absolutely abhors AMD from the looks of it. About, making the issue known to nvidia and amd on a bigger forum.
I have no issue with AMD, I have issue with defective processors having error reporters switched off under the guise of the logged data being just noise.

If intel did such a thing, it would be subject to a class action suit.

As the link you were passed showed, AMD has turned off PCIE AER for corrected events and they have been called out on it based on the fact that if a bus is logging corrected events under idle, they can only be exponentially worse under usage (especially with video decoding).

Hardware is the source of the Event 14's, regardless of whether you have a Intel or AMD processor, AGESA controls the hardware making it more stable where it can, or doing nothing where it can't.

Accumlative Non Fatal errors become fatal under intense conditions.

The common culprit is defective hardware, there are exponentially more users without any issues at all than are the ones reporting them. Think about it critically.

If there was actually a wide spread error 14 issue, it would have several tens of thousands of posts already and not be just pockets of different users.

Insufficiently shielded or defective riser cards or cables are the most common source of video hangs and error 14's compared to anything else.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
The 9700 and 9900 processors are also known to have pcie faults, so it is neither a widespread card or driver issue.

I have no issue with AMD, I have issue with defective processors having error reporters switched off under the guise of the logged data being just noise.

If intel did such a thing, it would be subject to a class action suit.

As the link you were passed showed, AMD has turned off PCIE AER for corrected events and they have been called out on it based on the fact that if a bus is logging corrected events under idle, they can only be exponentially worse under usage (especially with video decoding).

Hardware is the source of the Event 14's, regardless of whether you have a Intel or AMD processor, AGESA controls the hardware making it more stable where it can, or doing nothing where it can't.

Accumlative Non Fatal errors become fatal under intense conditions.

The common culprit is defective hardware, there are exponentially more users without any issues at all than are the ones reporting them. Think about it critically.

If there was actually a wide spread error 14 issue, it would have several tens of thousands of posts already and not be just pockets of different users.

Insufficiently shielded or defective riser cards or cables are the most common source of video hangs and error 14's compared to anything else.
I went through the links, while I am not an expert to understand eveyrthing said, I get it a little bit, Even I was surprised a little bit by how few the reports are of this issue compared to the ryzen 3rd gen processor sales. I shrugged it off and still to an extent beleive that lots of people are not reporting it as it only rarely happens, I assume they just restart the pc and get on with it.

If the cpu indeed is at fault, I wonder how anyone is ever going to convince AMD to RMA the cpus(seeing as you can't even tell if its fixed even with a new cpu as it happesn very rarely(I personally had a gap of 3 months between two instances and in the instance after the 3 months gap I was able to fix by closing MSI afterburner(however the behaviour(mouse movement stuteering with anything taking forever to open) was same a before) if they had been working fine on previous gen cards. From reading the comments on the links you provdided, it looks like all communication busses have errors(mostly not relevant enough to cause an issue) , in that case, shouldn't a BIOS fix be possible across the range of hardwares if that is indeed the defect you are refering to. And also, how are we ever going to know if a hardware is faulty or not if a BIOS update can fix it at seemingly no cost to the end user in terms of performance and usability.

I've linked a video I shot of the issue when it happened, check and tell me if this is the issue you are refering to as well. The behaviour seen in the video is exactly the issue people with 3rd gen ryzen and turing are facing, after restart you can find the error in event viewer, only the nvlddmkm, not any other error like the intel user mentioned in your thread, maybe we are talking about entirely different issues. Like, I said closing MSI afterburner solved it once(although I did not try this the preivous two times this issue happened) and opening it again in the same session(without restarting) triggered an nvidia driver restart(however all was fine in the interim period in the same session when msi afterburner was closed).

In the 7 months I've been using the pc it has only happened thrice and I pretty much do the same things(browsing, youtube and games) on my pc.

Also, if its a hardware defect, why does it get fixed by turning high performance mode on in nvcp, anyone who's done this hasn't had the issue again.

Looks like you are going by your experience with the error in the past, this seems like a diff problem, more in line with one guy who did extensive testing on this specific matter on reddit and claimed this issue is caused by AMD's effort to disable PCIE gen 4 support on 400 series boards and later fixing it with AGESA 1.0.0.5.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zszRpGy-dVI

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020
i just had another driver crash, while scrolling through reddit and having a youtube video open in the background. But this time it was different. i got no stutter>freeze, but a blackscreen for like 2 seconds and then everything went back to normal. maybe 455.38 fixed something? i mean its still a crash, but its better than before.

ASK THE COMMUNITY