Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

Jun 9, 2020
Experiencing the same issues as described here. I will apply the "PCI Express > Link State Power Management>Off" possible fix mentioned above and see how it goes.
Specs:
  • ASRock B450M Pro4 (Latest BIOS, AGESA 1.0.0.4)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super (Crashes were a lot more frequent on 446.14 compared to the previous 445.87.)
  • RAM 16 GB 3200 MHZ
  • Using Windows 10 Pro 1909 build.

May 22, 2020
If anyone is wondering; the AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5 patch completely solved the issue for me . After updating my BIOS I haven't had a problem for weeks.

May 28, 2020
If anyone is wondering; the AGESA ComboAm4PI 1.0.0.5 patch completely solved the issue for me . After updating my BIOS I haven't had a problem for weeks.

That is great news to hear. I haven't had an issue since doing the 436.48 driver reinstall though it only has been about a week and a half. I will have to wait until ASRock decides to update my mobos bios to AGESA 1.0.0.5.

cryptelon

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
I haven't had any issues after doing these steps, however it has only been 4 days so I am not sure if the issue is gone forever.

• Setting PCI Express > Link State Power Management to "Off" in Windows Power Settings
  • Setting Power Management Mode > Prefer Maximum Performance in NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Updating AMD Chipset driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4 (This includes a PCI Express driver as well so might worth a shot)

I will probably reverse the GPU Power Management Mode since it runs quite hot even while on idle (around 57C ) and will update if I encounter the issue again.

Last edited:

FruitSalad

Commendable
Jun 14, 2020
Chiming in to say I have this issue too. EVGA RTX 2080 Super, Ryzen 7 3700X and ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING

I just tried the above power settings, hopefully it helps. Even if that works through, its not really much of a fix...

Finger crossed for a BIOS update from Asus that could maybe help. I have a case open with EVGA, but I feel like getting a replacment card probably won't even help

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
Chiming in to say I have this issue too. EVGA RTX 2080 Super, Ryzen 7 3700X and ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING

I just tried the above power settings, hopefully it helps. Even if that works through, its not really much of a fix...

Finger crossed for a BIOS update from Asus that could maybe help. I have a case open with EVGA, but I feel like getting a replacment card probably won't even help

Have the same motherboard and have been checking the support site daily hoping to see AGESA 1.0.0.5 update. Haven't had the issue in a couple of weeks and just this afternoon it froze up while in the middle of a Teams call. This experience really brings me back to the bad old days of the WIn 9x kernel and random freezes/BSODs.

Jun 18, 2020
Gigabyte X570 Elite
Ryzen 3700x
MSI RTX 2070 super gaming x trio
Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200
be quiet pure power 11 600W

I have tried with the new F20 bios but its still the same. when i run a gpu stress test for example. i get a blackscreen after some time and i have to hard reset my system. only thing that comes up is either nvlddmkm or Nvidia OpenGL Driver errors in the event viewer. The problem got worse with every driver update.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020
ok, i have updated my windows now, to 2004 and my gpu driver to 455.38. did a gpu stresstest for some time and had no crashes. i really dont think this fixed it tbh. it will come back...i know it. : (

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
Gigabyte X570 Elite
Ryzen 3700x
MSI RTX 2070 super gaming x trio
Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200
be quiet pure power 11 600W

I have tried with the new F20 bios but its still the same. when i run a gpu stress test for example. i get a blackscreen after some time and i have to hard reset my system. only thing that comes up is either nvlddmkm or Nvidia OpenGL Driver errors in the event viewer. The problem got worse with every driver update.
ok, i have updated my windows now, to 2004 and my gpu driver to 455.38. did a gpu stresstest for some time and had no crashes. i really dont think this fixed it tbh. it will come back...i know it. : (

I'm not sure if the issue is caused by a prolonged stressing of the GPU. From my experience and from others' posts it looks like the issue occurs when the GPU goes from a low power state to a high power state and it's not something that happens consistently. For me it has occurred about 5 times since I've upgraded to a 2070 in April.

Jun 18, 2020
i know and that worries me. but everything began with this exact issue everyone else is having. while browsing or watching video, the system stutters>freezes>blackscreen. i just hope they are related.

Last edited:

AlHouine

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I've had more problems since my last message indicating that I installed the nvidia 436.48 driver.

Except today haha

But it's a bit different, the problem is on minecraft, I still have a nvlddmkm id 14 error but moreover I have openGl driver errors.

So, I don't know what I think, I'm still waiting for an update agesa 1.0.0.5 but it doesn't seem to move =S

It's really starting to annoy me: we've got high-performance hardware, but on the driver side, there's nothing that works.

It's boring.
When I spoke with nvidia support, it was a big surprise to discover their incompetence.
They told me that the graphics card (an rtx 2070) is too weak for my processor (3700x) and that it could cause incompatibility.

I really don't know where to turn to to make myself heard.

FruitSalad

Commendable
Jun 14, 2020
After changing the power options on Sunday I have had no crashes yet, but who knows how much longer that will last

Either way, I don't accept this as a fix. It should be stable all stock. EVGA is doing a Cross-ship RMA, I figured I may as well give it a shot

I just wish I had a way to 100% reproduce the error

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
I've had more problems since my last message indicating that I installed the nvidia 436.48 driver.

Except today haha

But it's a bit different, the problem is on minecraft, I still have a nvlddmkm id 14 error but moreover I have openGl driver errors.

So, I don't know what I think, I'm still waiting for an update agesa 1.0.0.5 but it doesn't seem to move =S

It's really starting to annoy me: we've got high-performance hardware, but on the driver side, there's nothing that works.

It's boring.
When I spoke with nvidia support, it was a big surprise to discover their incompetence.
They told me that the graphics card (an rtx 2070) is too weak for my processor (3700x) and that it could cause incompatibility.

I really don't know where to turn to to make myself heard.

Too weak!?!? Was this some kind of language barrier answer?

Since this only seems to be 3rd gen Ryzens and nVidia RTX hardware I'd say we should post on the official forums of either of these two companies. Is there another 3rd party forum that may have a large enough audience that would cause either of these companies to notice?

Edit:

I posted on the nVidia forums - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/384784/event-id-14-nvlddmkm/

My post on the AMD forums is being approved but someone seems to be having something similar: https://community.amd.com/thread/254228

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020
Built my PC in December,2019 only started having the same issue everyone's having this month (June 2020) when I decided to plug in a dual monitor. Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB STRIX, Ryzen 7 3800X and Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4

Diceman_2037

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
If you continue to have this following the AMD Agesa updates, your only recourse is to RMA the CPU and Mainboard.

This is not an nvidia driver issue.
It is a hardware PCIE PHY issue.

Yes, it can also be the Graphics card itself, rarely.

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
If you continue to have this following the AMD Agesa updates, your only recourse is to RMA the CPU and Mainboard.

This is not an nvidia driver issue.
It is a hardware PCIE PHY issue.

Yes, it can also be the Graphics card itself, rarely.
I'd love to see if an AGESA update fixes it but last time my board got an update was in November to 1.0.0.4b

Jun 20, 2020
Too weak!?!? Was this some kind of language barrier answer?

Since this only seems to be 3rd gen Ryzens and nVidia RTX hardware I'd say we should post on the official forums of either of these two companies. Is there another 3rd party forum that may have a large enough audience that would cause either of these companies to notice?

Edit:

I posted on the nVidia forums - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/384784/event-id-14-nvlddmkm/

My post on the AMD forums is being approved but someone seems to be having something similar: https://community.amd.com/thread/254228

Unfortunately it's not only AMD issue though. I've i7-9700K and I'm also experiencing the same issues with RTX 2080. Tried older nVidia drivers but crashed still. Power option I haven't yet tested.

tomsliwowski

Prominent
May 13, 2020
Unfortunately it's not only AMD issue though. I've i7-9700K and I'm also experiencing the same issues with RTX 2080. Tried older nVidia drivers but crashed still. Power option I haven't yet tested.

That's interesting. So now the common culprit is RTX.

Can you check event viewer and see if around the time you got the Event ID 14 error you had any WHEA errors as well? Some guy responded to my post on the nVidia forums and brought up the PCI-E bus being a cause (his overall rudeness reminded me why I absolutely HATE going there)

Jun 20, 2020

Can you check event viewer and see if around the time you got the Event ID 14 error you had any WHEA errors as well? Some guy responded to my post on the nVidia forums and brought up the PCI-E bus being a cause (his overall rudeness reminded me why I absolutely HATE going there)

Haven't seen any WHEA errors there, only Event ID 14 from nvlddmkm and hasn't (so far at least) happened during gaming so it does seem that it's power switching related

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Yeah, I replied there as well. He absolutely abhors AMD from the looks of it. About, making the issue known to nvidia and amd on a bigger forum.

I've written a long email to hardware unboxed the youtube channel, they have in the past called out companies openly, AMD has been very responsive to their videos, on both their gpu drivers issue and B450 4000 series support matter. I've requested them to do a piece on this or atleast include it in their Q & A videos as a bit.

I wrote to their email address specified for business enquiries, so fingers crossed. Hope something comes of it.

I have to say turing and nvidia has a part to play in this definitely, it happens on completely stable systems before the turing upgrade, so its both nvidia and amd's problem, nvidia can't just piont at AMD and the same goes for AMD as well.

Jun 20, 2020
I have updated my mobo BIOS to latest F20a on the release date / June 16.
As for now PC is running stable and I didn't experienced any issues.
Latest nvlddmkm event I have is from June 15.
Before bios upgrade PC was freezing every 4-5 days, usually when watching youtube/twitch in Firefox.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z
G.SKILL Sniper X 16 GB KIT

AMD AGESA Version: ComboAM4v2PI 1.0.0.2

Diceman_2037

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

The 9700 and 9900 processors are also known to have pcie faults, so it is neither a widespread card or driver issue.

Yeah, I replied there as well. He absolutely abhors AMD from the looks of it. About, making the issue known to nvidia and amd on a bigger forum.

I have no issue with AMD, I have issue with defective processors having error reporters switched off under the guise of the logged data being just noise.

If intel did such a thing, it would be subject to a class action suit.

As the link you were passed showed, AMD has turned off PCIE AER for corrected events and they have been called out on it based on the fact that if a bus is logging corrected events under idle, they can only be exponentially worse under usage (especially with video decoding).

Hardware is the source of the Event 14's, regardless of whether you have a Intel or AMD processor, AGESA controls the hardware making it more stable where it can, or doing nothing where it can't.

Accumlative Non Fatal errors become fatal under intense conditions.

The common culprit is defective hardware, there are exponentially more users without any issues at all than are the ones reporting them. Think about it critically.

If there was actually a wide spread error 14 issue, it would have several tens of thousands of posts already and not be just pockets of different users.

Insufficiently shielded or defective riser cards or cables are the most common source of video hangs and error 14's compared to anything else.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
The 9700 and 9900 processors are also known to have pcie faults, so it is neither a widespread card or driver issue.

I have no issue with AMD, I have issue with defective processors having error reporters switched off under the guise of the logged data being just noise.

If intel did such a thing, it would be subject to a class action suit.

As the link you were passed showed, AMD has turned off PCIE AER for corrected events and they have been called out on it based on the fact that if a bus is logging corrected events under idle, they can only be exponentially worse under usage (especially with video decoding).

Hardware is the source of the Event 14's, regardless of whether you have a Intel or AMD processor, AGESA controls the hardware making it more stable where it can, or doing nothing where it can't.

Accumlative Non Fatal errors become fatal under intense conditions.

The common culprit is defective hardware, there are exponentially more users without any issues at all than are the ones reporting them. Think about it critically.

If there was actually a wide spread error 14 issue, it would have several tens of thousands of posts already and not be just pockets of different users.

Insufficiently shielded or defective riser cards or cables are the most common source of video hangs and error 14's compared to anything else.

I went through the links, while I am not an expert to understand eveyrthing said, I get it a little bit, Even I was surprised a little bit by how few the reports are of this issue compared to the ryzen 3rd gen processor sales. I shrugged it off and still to an extent beleive that lots of people are not reporting it as it only rarely happens, I assume they just restart the pc and get on with it.

If the cpu indeed is at fault, I wonder how anyone is ever going to convince AMD to RMA the cpus(seeing as you can't even tell if its fixed even with a new cpu as it happesn very rarely(I personally had a gap of 3 months between two instances and in the instance after the 3 months gap I was able to fix by closing MSI afterburner(however the behaviour(mouse movement stuteering with anything taking forever to open) was same a before) if they had been working fine on previous gen cards. From reading the comments on the links you provdided, it looks like all communication busses have errors(mostly not relevant enough to cause an issue) , in that case, shouldn't a BIOS fix be possible across the range of hardwares if that is indeed the defect you are refering to. And also, how are we ever going to know if a hardware is faulty or not if a BIOS update can fix it at seemingly no cost to the end user in terms of performance and usability.

I've linked a video I shot of the issue when it happened, check and tell me if this is the issue you are refering to as well. The behaviour seen in the video is exactly the issue people with 3rd gen ryzen and turing are facing, after restart you can find the error in event viewer, only the nvlddmkm, not any other error like the intel user mentioned in your thread, maybe we are talking about entirely different issues. Like, I said closing MSI afterburner solved it once(although I did not try this the preivous two times this issue happened) and opening it again in the same session(without restarting) triggered an nvidia driver restart(however all was fine in the interim period in the same session when msi afterburner was closed).

In the 7 months I've been using the pc it has only happened thrice and I pretty much do the same things(browsing, youtube and games) on my pc.

Also, if its a hardware defect, why does it get fixed by turning high performance mode on in nvcp, anyone who's done this hasn't had the issue again.

Looks like you are going by your experience with the error in the past, this seems like a diff problem, more in line with one guy who did extensive testing on this specific matter on reddit and claimed this issue is caused by AMD's effort to disable PCIE gen 4 support on 400 series boards and later fixing it with AGESA 1.0.0.5.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zszRpGy-dVI

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020
i just had another driver crash, while scrolling through reddit and having a youtube video open in the background. But this time it was different. i got no stutter>freeze, but a blackscreen for like 2 seconds and then everything went back to normal. maybe 455.38 fixed something? i mean its still a crash, but its better than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.