Question [Hang/Freeze/Crash] - Event ID 14 nvlddmkm, AMD+NVIDIA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
This thread is for if your issue occurs sporadically and randomly (from once every week(s) to once every month(s)). If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue.

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE QUESTIONS, A FIX OR RELEVANT ADDITIONAL INFO as this will otherwise flood the thread is it did with the previous one. Use the poll instead to add your +1.

Introduction:
This has been a long going thread from Reddit which I was the owner of.
The thread is almost 6 months old, meaning it will most likely archive and I am getting notifications from other people having the issue almost every other day. I decided to compile (300+ comments) the info from that thread and post it here.

Issue Description:
As stated above, this issue occurs sporadically: you can be gaming, editing, or watching a Youtube video, it doesn’t seem to have correlation. On average it will happen once every 3 weeks for me.
When the error occurs, the computer will begin to stutter, your inputs will be extremely jerky/delayed and sometimes the screen will go black with only the cursor displaying. This makes it impossible to use the computer while it occurs.
The issue will sometimes resolve itself (can take from 1 to 15 minutes) and sometimes last too long for it to be worth waiting, meaning I will manually crash my computer.

There seems to be a correlation between having a NVIDIA GPU and an AMD Ryzen CPU, however, (very) few have described the issue happening on a different configuration.

Last time I had the issue: [2020-03-07]
(YYYY,MM,DD).

Event Viewer Error:
Event ID 14 - nvlddmkm
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
\Device\Video3
0cec(3098) 00000000 00000000

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Contacts:
Others and I have attempted contacting both AMD & NVIDIA here is each of their answers (broadly):
AMD: Ensure that you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for your motherboard and are using stock settings. They think it's mostly an issue related to the graphic's card. It should be on NVIDIA's side to fix this. It could also be related to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2665946/display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered-error-in-windows-7 (which is related to windows 10 as well).
NVIDIA (info from Reddit user u/faildude7): “[...] I contacted with NVIDIA and they told me that is an incompatibility issue that they're aware of it and it's more common with RTX series but it's gonna be hard to fix since it's on AMD's part and should be resolved with a BIOS fix from their part, they told me that it's because the use of virtual threads on multi-threading in Ryzen that doesn't link well with NVIDIA processes.” + “he told me that and it's pretty bad since this error seems like it's 6 years old at least so I don't see them fixing it any time soon, this just was more popular with the RTX series since he told me that it's more common with these graphics but if you search info you can see people complaining for years.”

Fixes
This is a list of attempted and not attempted fixes mentioned by some users from the thread mentioned above. The problem with this issue is also not knowing when the issue will happen. Someone can declare a fix but we don't truly know about whether it works or not after a few months of waiting (as the issue occurs so sporadically). Running generic stress tests will also not make the issue occur.

Attempted Fixes:
  1. RMA (Replace) with the same GPU model. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  2. Update drivers. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  3. Use stock settings. This does not fix the issue. (from AMD)
  4. Disabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (from u/3feetHair)
  5. Enabling XMP on the BIOS. This does not fix the issue. (Generic fix)
  6. Setting your Power Plan to AMD’s “High Performance” (from u/Injuis)
  7. Setting Memory Frequency to the correct frequency through BIOS (from u/NovalAcanthocephala6)
  8. Change your GPU power mode to “Maximum Performance”. NVIDIA Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Power Management mode. Many users have mentioned this working (from u/eatwritelaugh) [fix personally attempted on 2020/04/16]
  9. DDUd and reinstall drivers. This does not fix the issue. (from u/Aravind92)
Potential Fixes:
  1. Update BIOS for Chipset & Motherboard. (This has been attempted by some and didn’t fix the issue, however it could still be a potential fix in the future.)
  2. Reset Windows Power Options (from u/Aravind92)
  3. Disable HW Acceleration in Firefox (from u/Aravind92)
  4. RMA (replacing) with a different PSU. This has apparently fixed the issue for one user, however the user had an intel CPU. (from u/Speedfreakz)
  5. Replacing every component in your computer seems to work (which admittedly is not a fix).
  6. Set your RAM to “Power Down Enabled/mode” to disable and “Gear Down Mode” enabled. (from u/Gigakv)
Other Info compiled from user comments on the previous thread:
  • u/sprousaTM has mentioned this only occurring when the PC is idle.
  • u/ponybeu5 has mentioned changing from a 1080 Strix to a 2080 Super EVGA and then starting getting the issue (with AMD 3900X).
  • u/RafaMarioFan has said the following: Started with this setup: GT1030+ used A320+ ryzen3600 + 500W psu (that doesn't have 80plus), changed to a Galax 1660 and started having the error. Replaced PSU for a Corssair CX 550 (80p bronze) which didn’t fix the error. Went back to the GT1030. Bought a RTX 2060S which caused the issue again. Then changed from A320 to a B450 which didn’t fix the issue.
  • A few users have mentioned the issue only occurring a few months after having their PC built. (I personally don’t remember)
  • u/Civil_Specter has mentioned a fix, however it seems like their issue was occurring consistently when gaming, which is different from what a majority of people are getting and most likely a different issue:
    • Use AMD Ryzen Master to disable SMT (Simultaneous Multi threading)
    • Downloaded a program called Project Lasso to improve gaming performance.
    • Used EVGA Precision X1 software to make a custom GPU profile with “Boost Lock” enabled. Which keeps your GPU from idle.
  • u/Gigakv has provided the following info: Can confirm it's still an issue with Ryzen 3000 + Turing
    • Ryzen 2600 + RTX 2060 - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + GTX 1070 TI - no problem
    • Ryzen 3600X + RTX 2060 that worked fine with the Ryzen 2600 - GPU crashing when using hardware acceleration \ idle. No issues during gaming or stress testing.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with hardware acceleration.
  • A few users mention that it probably has a link with the GPU switching from idle to performance mode.
  • u/MBDdk mentioned that the issue might’ve been fixed in the AMD driver update 20-2-2: “Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.”
My Full Computer Specs:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4-3200 [16GB x 4]
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 750 W80
Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower
SSD [Windows 10]: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5” 7200 RPM

List of a portion of reported setups with the issue from the reddit thread:
  • u/faildude7: Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti + G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz + Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro
  • u/rimokonman: Ryzen 3700X + NVIDIA 2070S
  • u/eatwritelaugh: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2070 Super + Adata 3200mhz 8x2 + MSI B450 Carbon
  • u/sprousaTM: Ryzen 3800X + RTX 2080 + 16GB Trident RAM + 1200watt corsair power supply (+custom watercooling)
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x + MSI Tomohawk B450 Max + gtx 1660 ti + Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz + cm mwe v2 550w + Acer VG240YP.
  • u/QueBugCheckEx: Ryzen 9 3950x + RTX 2080ti
  • u/PentaChicken: Ryzen 5 3600X and RTX 2070 Super
  • u/Skastrike09: Ryzen 3600 + NVidia 2060
  • u/iksargodzilla: ryzen 3700x + rtx 2060 super + tuf gaming x570-plus (wifi) motherboard + 2x8gb ram
  • u/OOO639: 3700x and a 2080 super
  • u/clockwork000: 3900X + 2070S
  • u/ Dyeneks: RTX 2070 Super + Ryzen 7 3700X
  • u/TheChozoKnight: RTX 2080 + Ryzen 7 3700X + Asus X570F Mobo
  • u/impmallet: 2080ti + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 Aurus Elite
  • u/fluidzreddit: Msi trio 2080ti @ stock + 3700x + Gigabyte x570 master (f11 bios). Ram - Crucial ballistix sport 3200 cas 16 @ xmp
  • u/kaimenlau: Ryzen 3950x + rtx 2080 ti
  • u/NovelAcanthocephala6: 3950x + 2080 super
  • u/MBDdk: Ryzen 5 3600 + NVIDIA RTX 1660S
  • u/Speedfreakz: Asus TUF Z270 MARK 1 + Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (TU104-450) @ 300 MHz + Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TBCougar STX 750 power supply.+ 2x 16gb HyperX Predator Rgb memory
  • u/yanboz: 3950X + 2080Ti
  • u/Tounushi: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Dual Evo OC + Asus Prime x370-Pro mobo (BIOS v.4801) + 750W power source + AMD R7 3700X + 16GB DDR4 2666MHz (running 2400) + M.2 SSD OS drive + SSD and HDD gaming and storage drives, respectively
  • u/Skastrike09: RTX 2060, Ryzen 5 3600, and X570 AORUS ELITE
  • u/Oren1: Ryzen 5 3600 + Rtx 2060 super
  • u/rickgolds: Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 2080 + RAM Trident Z with Samsung B-Die
  • u/Aravind92: Ryzen 3600x, MSI Tomohawk B450 Max, gtx 1660 ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 8 x 2 3000 mhz, cm mwe v2 550w, Acer VG240YP.
  • u/MrSheep_: 1660ti + Ryzen 5 3600.
  • u/KM1k92: R9 3900x + RTX 2060 SUPER
  • u/Sanastro: i9 9900k + Zotac 2080ti
  • u/Flush535: 3700X + 2070S
  • u/3feetHair: Ryzen 2700 + GTX 1660
  • u/Sp0KI: 3700x + x470 + 2070
  • u/ThatOneCrazyFriend: 3900X + 2070 Super
  • u/calscks: 3900X + RTX 2080
  • u/hop-limit: 3800x + rtx 2070s
  • And many others…
Reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/dnm7pt/event_id_14_nvlddmkm_computer_stutters_2080_ti/

May 14, 2020
I signed up here exclusively to share my experience with this issue, so hopefully this will help someone.

I've had this post pinned for almost three months now since this started happening to me, and I may actually have a complete solution for this issue... with confirmation of where the problem lays with indisputable proof (proof enough for me anyway).

System Details;
Time of this report: 5/14/2020, 07:34:21
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: X570 AORUS PRO
BIOS: F12e (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (24 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA

I had the same problem, lock ups and black screens with the event viewer stating "Event ID 14 nvlddmkm" and this happened when gaming, watching youtube, using office and even when idling, with no real reason or anything.

Now onto my testing steps;

1. Clean install of then latest nvidia display driver.
  2. Update all chipset and mainboard drivers.
Issue persisted
3) Full Windows reload, with latest drivers for all hardware.
Issue persisted.
4) Set scheduled task to restart at 04:30 daily
This was a stop gap, to prevent it during active usage which worked... so for me it seemed to be an uptime related issue.
5) disabled scheduled task for testing. Five hours later, Error 14.

tl;dr

So, onto my actual solution... as stated this has worked for me entirely with no issues or anything.

1. Reinstall of Windows
  2. Reinstall of latest Mainboard chipset drivers.
  3. Installation of Nvidia 436.48 WHQL Driver
  4. Reinstall of basic applications and games.
3 Day Wait
5) Update to latest driver again...
Within a day, Error 14.

Rinse and repeat above, excluding step 5 and I have had a rock solid system for 10 days, and I've been nailing the GFX Card and CPU with demanding tasks and games for testing...

So for me in the hardware and software combination I have, the issue is the exclusively the Display Driver from Nvidia not the CPU, Motherboard or Bios and specifically the drivers after 436.48.

I only had this driver version installed prior as it was stable for me and the newer drivers didn't offer anything to warrant using them, and now don't even offer reliability.

So, I hope this helps if you're having this issue, although I reloaded windows, it may not be required just do a complete driver uninstall and clean up.

I'll continue to monitor my system and update if anything changes, but I have disabled windows update from making hardware updates now and will be sticking with 436.48 indefinitely.

Reactions: RodroX

HoaxXx

Reputable
Apr 28, 2016
Question. When you say "If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue." do you mean that the threshold to be considered "not sporadically" and thus not the same issue is about a week?

I'm asking because for me the frequency is much higher (every few days, sometimes daily. PC runs 12-16h/day usually) but otherwise, the issue is the same as laid out in this thread: random, unrelated to activity (mostly during normal desktop use), stuttering followed by black screen, sometimes with recovery on its own (but mostly requiring restart). Same error ID.

Build: RTX 2060 Super | Ryzen 3900X | X570 Aorus Elite | Ripjaws V 64 GB 3200Mhz | Corsair RMX 850W | Windows 10 Pro x64

Issue did not occur with a GTX 1070 video card and the RTX has been tested to work correctly in a different (Intel-based) system. I have also tested 2 other RTX cards in my system (both 2070), each time with the issue occurring.

Tried most of the potential fixes, to no avail (except for swapping out the RTX for a GTX). However, setting "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel seems to have remedied the issue for me.

Apr 17, 2020
Update on this post! First of all, sorry for not answering comments on here, I hardly use these forums and I thought I had my email notifications turned on... I did not :/

Guys, looks like the latest AGESA BIOS solves the issue. Refer to this thread, second top comment.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/g750y5/updated_amd_agesa_comboam4pi_1005/
That is awesome! On a good note I personnally did not have the issue again till the date listed in the post (2+ months ago) after attempting fix #8. If I ever get it again I will update here and attempt that BIOS update.

Question. When you say "If you are having the same event ID repeatedly and consistently you do not have the same issue." do you mean that the threshold to be considered "not sporadically" and thus not the same issue is about a week?
So in your case I think you're having the same issue. Like another user mentioned it's a bit hard to define. The reason why I said this is because in the previous thread I had a lot of people with a similar issue (but it would be a lot more consistent and related to CPU usage from their CPU). They usually could fix it with fixes that didn't work for me or others having our specific bug

The poll is probably just as worthless to use to draw any conclusions since it will suffer from the same problem all such surveys do.... you'll hear almost exclusively from those who have a problem. Those without the problem have no idea what you're even talking about or are way to busy just using their systems.
You're right haha. To be fair it was just a way to minimize the amount of people that say "Hey I also got it!" and eventually flood the thread. I probably shouldn't have put the "No" in there.

Dalamar6

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
EVGA also told me this is likely a driver issue, and I'm one of the few having it on Intel. Has anyone been reporting it on the Intel side? I've never had any luck with either graphics co even doing the most basic common sense fixes I complain about for years so I don't bother any more...

May 19, 2020
Posting in here just to say that I have the same issue. One weird thing is that when I open task manager, my computer runs like normal as long as task manager is open. Any thoughts on this or anyone else got the same?

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: ASUS x570 tuf Gaming
GPU: Geforce 2070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
PSU: EVGa SuperNOVA 750w

May 22, 2020
Posting here as everyone else, so basically it happens randomly once in 2 weeks whilst browsing or alt f4'ing a game that is in fullscreen (this instance only happened in League of Legends once).
unknown.png

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Overclocked to 4.2 GHZ 1.3V, tried without OC and voltage adjustments issue remained)
GPU: Galax RTX2060 Super OC
Motherboard: MSI B450M A-PRO-MAX (7C52v31)
PSU: FSP FSP700-60AHBC 700W 80+ PFC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 ) 8x2 3000Mhz Dual Channnel

The main question is, if I'm to update BIOS version to the latest version, which is (7C52v35) in my case, will the problem persist? Anyone can confirm?

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Posting here as everyone else, so basically it happens randomly once in 2 weeks whilst browsing or alt f4'ing a game that is in fullscreen (this instance only happened in League of Legends once).
unknown.png

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Overclocked to 4.2 GHZ 1.3V, tried without OC and voltage adjustments issue remained)
GPU: Galax RTX2060 Super OC
Motherboard: MSI B450M A-PRO-MAX (7C52v31)
PSU: FSP FSP700-60AHBC 700W 80+ PFC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 ) 8x2 3000Mhz Dual Channnel

The main question is, if I'm to update BIOS version to the latest version, which is (7C52v35) in my case, will the problem persist? Anyone can confirm?

Apparently, v36 is the one that fixes it, and I think it was released for all max boards recently, can you check? turns oiut AGeSA 1.0.0.5 is v35 for your board, so thats the one supposed to fix it. try it.

Reactions: Mspy1
Apr 20, 2020
Try putting your RAM into the right slots, #2 and #4 for me.

Consult your motherboard's manual, I do believe #2 and #4 are standards.
That's the second and fourth slot from your CPU, but again check your manual.

I've tried pretty much everything suggested in this thread and this turned out to do the trick for me. No more random massive stuttering.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2600
MoBo: Gigabyte b450 aorus elite.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8 GB)

AlHouine

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Good morning everyone,

I've been following the subject on reddit for quite some time now and I've finally come to make my contribution.

Indeed, I also encounter this type of concern:

X570-F
Ryzen 7 3700x
Evga Rtx 2070 xc ultra
2x8gb 3600 mhz g.skill trident z neo

Do you have any ideas on how to solve the problem?
Apparently I see that a new version of agesa can solve the problem? Do you have any confirmations?

In my case (I am touching wood), the problem comes about every half month or so.
It happens either in the office or most often on the league of legend game.
The whole computer is in stuttering mode (as if it is running at 1fps) and I have to reboot the computer.

When I restart fast enough, I don't get errors in the event manager but when I take longer to restart I get the famous error 14.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Good morning everyone,

I've been following the subject on reddit for quite some time now and I've finally come to make my contribution.

Indeed, I also encounter this type of concern:

X570-F
Ryzen 7 3700x
Evga Rtx 2070 xc ultra
2x8gb 3600 mhz g.skill trident z neo

Do you have any ideas on how to solve the problem?
Apparently I see that a new version of agesa can solve the problem? Do you have any confirmations?

In my case (I am touching wood), the problem comes about every half month or so.
It happens either in the office or most often on the league of legend game.
The whole computer is in stuttering mode (as if it is running at 1fps) and I have to reboot the computer.

When I restart fast enough, I don't get errors in the event manager but when I take longer to restart I get the famous error 14.

The issue is very sporadic, can't tell if anything has solved it yet.
But haven't had the issue since the recent BIOS update, the guy who posted that the recent BIOS fixes seems to have had it frequenntly, for what its worht I haver now enabled HW accl on my browser and haven't had it happen yet. Fingers crossed, the first time I had it only nearly 50 days after the pc was built, then in 2 weeks, then after 3 months, though the 3 month gap may have been because I had Hw accl disabled.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
The issue is very sporadic, can't tell if anything has solved it yet.
But haven't had the issue since the recent BIOS update, the guy who posted that the recent BIOS fixes it seems to have had it frequenntly before the update, for what its worth I haver now enabled HW accl on my browser and haven't had it happen yet. Fingers crossed, the first time I had it only nearly 50 days after the pc was built, then in 2 weeks, then after 3 months, though the 3 month gap may have been because I had Hw accl disabled.

Weird, I update my nvidia drivers very often (runing latest 445.87) and I have AGESA 1004, chipset driver is not soo new, I think its from november 2019.

I never updated the chipset drivers again cause my PC is working flawlessly.

As for the new AGESA 1.0.0.5, my motherboard does not have the update yet, and I probably wont even bother to do it till I need it.

May 22, 2020
After updating to AGESA 1.0.0.5 my FPS was reduced considerably in certain games, so I had to revert back to the 1.0.0.3 abba (my previous BIOS version), I'd rather have rare freezes than to have 20 lower FPS.

I even checked the benchmarks comparing 1.0.0.4 and 1.0.0.5 just to be sure that the problem is not on my end. I was right, the guy who were benchmarking for AGESA 1.0.0.5 had low FPS too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoXWtrjjYp4

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
After updating to AGESA 1.0.0.5 my FPS was reduced considerably in certain games, so I had to revert back to the 1.0.0.3 abba (my previous BIOS version), I'd rather have rare freezes than to have 20 lower FPS.

I even checked the benchmarks comparing 1.0.0.4 and 1.0.0.5 just to be sure that the problem is not on my end. I was right, the guy who were benchmarking for AGESA 1.0.0.5 had low FPS too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoXWtrjjYp4

You may have done this, but can you tell me if you turned xmp on after the BIOS update?, curiously I've not seen any noticeable diff in perf, I play two games from the benchmark, sieg and warzone. I had 2 xmp profiles after BIOS update , I only had one before update. i am also running a 3600, x version though,haven't seen any diff.

May 28, 2020
I have been having this issue since installing my 2070 to replace an old 970. I am pretty positive there isn't an issue with any other components on my pc as I had been running the 970 with my more current setup (3600x, ASRock B450m Steel Legend, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT) for over a month prior with no instability issues.

I have tried to contact ASRock on a AGESA 1.0.0.5 bios update with no luck. I will try a few of the possible fixes listed on here to see if something works out. It will be some what difficult to test because of how sporadic the issue comes up.

pcN8uMl.png

May 29, 2020
I ran into this issue, seemingly coincidently after getting a new monitor for my older setup (ASRock X99 Taichi, 5820k, GTX 1080). It made me very nervous seeing the posts about the mostly AMD users since I have my new 3950x/2080ti sitting on the bench next to me.

However, here's what worked for me:

Step 1: Display Driver Uninstaller - DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v18.0.2.5.exe
Selected GPU - Nvidia, with the following options additional options:
  • Remove present and non-present monitors.
  • Save log files.
  • Create restore point.
  • Remove Vulkan.
  • Under NVIDIA specific options - Everything.
  • Prevent downloads of drivers from "Windows Update".
Ran and restarted.

Step 2: Installed 436.48 WHQL Driver mentioned by aeternus-derentis. This is a Standard driver, not DCH that Windows tries to default on you (which is normally fine). Custom install with the clean install option.
Link: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.48/436.48-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

Now stable. Hopefully this helps someone.

Edit: If you are unsure if your system is stable after all of this and are on Windows 8.1/10 (any version) I would run the following first in this order (command prompt as admin):
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • sfc /scannow
  • Proceed to Step 1 and Step 2.
Edit 2: This is working for me on Win 10, 2004 release.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers are not the problem with nvidia. It's core drivers haven't changed in years, it's still the same batch of DX11/DX12 drivers. The biggest issue in Windows itself. Microsoft seems to have changed its opinions on how things were done, they used to cooperate with Intel, nvidia and amd to make everything smooth, but that changed with the release of Win10 Creators Edition and everybody had to scramble to get fixes. Especially nvidia whom had older closed ended 16 and 32bit drivers that conflicted with 64bit open end policies. Windows now forced its own 'newer' version drivers or newer dated drivers in place of existing drivers and ended up with version conflicts.

And this happens every quarter with the Major updates and sometimes with minor updates, nvidia and amd having yet to come up with a workaround for all version compatibility. Newer drivers usually work fine on 1803/1809, it's on the 1903/1909 updates that most ppl are running into compatability issues.

Best you can do is keep bios/motherboard chipset drivers updated and use DDU or Clean Install (custom) and not Express install as Express doesn't overwrite existing files.

Reactions: RodroX
May 29, 2020
I have exactly the same problem. It happens once every one to two weeks. I have tried almost everything...it still does it. It has done it for the past several months, not long after I built the PC. It happens when not doing anything intensive (just moving the mouse around with normal desktop apps in background.

I have a Gigabyte X570 Pro F12E Bios, Zotac 2070 Super Twin Fan, Latest April, May Drivers, Ryzen 3700X, Latest AMD Chipset Drivers, Sabrent 1TB nvme ssds, 32GB Patriot PC3200 XMP Profile.

Edit: I need to leave it a bit longer but I think either disabling SMT or setting nvidia control panel power settings to max performance fixed it. This is an absolute joke that X570 is almost a year old and this problem still exists unless your MB vendor has released the latest AGESA 1.0.0.5 BIOS updates, which mine, Gigabyte hasn't. I bought an 8 core 16 thread CPU and now I've had to disable that.

It is really unacceptable - I think I bought too much into the AMD hype this time around, as nothing changes with their software (be it BIOS or not) quality control! I didn't think my setup is rare!!! I don't see so many people talking about this, I guess they just live with random crashes or am I in the .001% with my setup? Is Ryzen x570 + Nvidia really that rare?

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I have exactly the same problem. It happens once every one to two weeks. I have tried almost everything...it still does it. It has done it for the past several months, not long after I built the PC. It happens when not doing anything intensive (just moving the mouse around with normal desktop apps in background.

I have a Gigabyte X570 Pro F12E Bios, Zotac 2070 Super Twin Fan, Latest April, May Drivers, Ryzen 3700X, Latest AMD Chipset Drivers, Sabrent 1TB nvme ssds, 32GB Patriot PC3200 XMP Profile.

Edit: I need to leave it a bit longer but I think either disabling SMT or setting nvidia control panel power settings to max performance fixed it. This is an absolute joke that X570 is almost a year old and this problem still exists unless your MB vendor has released the latest AGESA 1.0.0.5 BIOS updates, which mine, Gigabyte hasn't. I bought an 8 core 16 thread CPU and now I've had to disable that.

It is really unacceptable - I think I bought too much into the AMD hype this time around, as nothing changes with their software (be it BIOS or not) quality control! I didn't think my setup is rare!!! I don't see so many people talking about this, I guess they just live with random crashes or am I in the .001% with my setup? Is Ryzen x570 + Nvidia really that rare?

It is really wierd, so many people with similar buils and only few complaints all things considered. I don't know, but for the moment, can you try disbaling hw acceleration and check, maybe it is just our windows installations, personally I never reinstalled windows, mine was an image acutally when it was first put together.

May 22, 2020
You may have done this, but can you tell me if you turned xmp on after the BIOS update?, curiously I've not seen any noticeable diff in perf, I play two games from the benchmark, sieg and warzone. I had 2 xmp profiles after BIOS update , I only had one before update. i am also running a 3600, x version though,haven't seen any diff.
I always turn on XMP, I updated my motherboard one week ago again, as I got the freeze after I put Windows to sleep and turned it on it occurred in 2 hours. Since I have updated to latest AGESA 1.0.0.5, it seems I'm not having any problems for now.

May 28, 2020
I have only done the 436.48 driver version fix for the time being and I haven't had a crash yet but its only been about 3 days.

I really hope ASRock releases a bios update with AGESA 1.0.0.5 though since I have only heard good things related to this issue on that end.

AlHouine

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I ran into this issue, seemingly coincidently after getting a new monitor for my older setup (ASRock X99 Taichi, 5820k, GTX 1080). It made me very nervous seeing the posts about the mostly AMD users since I have my new 3950x/2080ti sitting on the bench next to me.

However, here's what worked for me:

Step 1: Display Driver Uninstaller - DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/DDU/download/DDU v18.0.2.5.exe
Selected GPU - Nvidia, with the following options additional options:
  • Remove present and non-present monitors.
  • Save log files.
  • Create restore point.
  • Remove Vulkan.
  • Under NVIDIA specific options - Everything.
  • Prevent downloads of drivers from "Windows Update".
Ran and restarted.

Step 2: Installed 436.48 WHQL Driver mentioned by aeternus-derentis. This is a Standard driver, not DCH that Windows tries to default on you (which is normally fine). Custom install with the clean install option.
Link: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/436.48/436.48-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

Now stable. Hopefully this helps someone.

Edit: If you are unsure if your system is stable after all of this and are on Windows 8.1/10 (any version) I would run the following first in this order (command prompt as admin):
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • sfc /scannow
  • Proceed to Step 1 and Step 2.
Edit 2: This is working for me on Win 10, 2004 release.
Hi, I applied your patch today, so I installed version 436.48.

Have you had any crashes since then?

cryptelon

Prominent
Sep 2, 2018
Just upgraded my RTX 2070 to RTX 2070 Super. This happened way before when I bought the RTX 2070 last year, but I haven't encountered it again after setting PCI Express > Link State Power Management to Off in Windows Power Settings. However after upgrading the GPU this came back and despite Link State setting still being on Off, I have encountered the issue.

Quick note: this issue also happens on Linux as error Xid 61, with Ryzen CPUs ofc.

Edit: I have set Prefer Maximum Performance in NVIDIA Control Panel now. Let's see if it holds up.

My specs:
  • ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING [Latest BIOS: 2007 (AGESA 1.0.0.4)]
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.95 GHZ (OC)
  • NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super (Latest Driver: 446.14 )
  • 32 GB GSKILL 3600 MHZ
  • Windows 10 1909

Reactions: Exodus66
Status
Not open for further replies.