Happy Birthday! Windows XP is 10 Years Old Today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
XP is decent OS. It takes long time to support new OS. Many quite expensive software products ($5000-$15000) still don't run under Vista or Win7 at all (specially 64bit) and some that do are often just limping.
It cracks me up when someone thinks that using computer means being able to run handful of cheap video games or that support can be withdrawn because their games run fine. Many computers are used for far more serious things and messing around is just not an option. This is why companies pay big bucks.

Anyone remember back in the 2K/XP days? Win2K was just beginning to really gain ground and then this 'cartooney' 'child's play thing' which was a total resource hog was released. It broke several networks because it was the first attempt at a 'secure' networking infrastructure (meaning it plugged a bunch of holes which people used as features).
I remember holding on to win2K for years because it was the difference between being able to do video editing, and not. Plus the driver issues with XP were awful!

All that said, by SP2 it was a great OS that was rock solid, and the defacto standard to PCs until win7 came out. And even now it is a question of taste. The XP fans love the small resource footprint, while the win7 fans love the modern support it brings (and the pretty interface). XP is still great (I use it fairly often), but it is quickly loosing relevance in an ever changing world.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I am a administrator and we have been on windows 7 for a years now. No we did not upgrade from XP we have just put 7 on new PC installs.
The only issue so far are a few printers cause issues, but there are work arounds to it. I see 7 becoming the standard for the next 5-7 years.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I don't understand people saying... ".XP is decent OS.".
It's used for 10 years... and some people still use it!
It's a XP MONSTER went you think about it.
I try imagine in 10 years, if someone will still use iOS5 ? NO forget it! No one­.
Microsoft is a great company and the price aren't that bad.

G

heh, this article made me lol, I'm installing Win XP on a nice shiny E6420....I love app compatibility issues.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
xp will die a very long and slow death as most home users are perfectly happy with it and would rather spend they're money on non computing things.

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Xp has served me well for years. But soon I am going to build a new computer, and the parts are already on their way with a copy of windows 7. Happy birthday XP, but it's time I see the features of Direct X 10 & 11.

jdwii

Splendid
[citation][nom]someoneelse[/nom]xp will die a very long and slow death as most home users are perfectly happy with it and would rather spend they're money on non computing things.[/citation]

Sad but true. Xp is still a "good enough OS" i never really liked it that much as it always messes up.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]What would vendors and customers do? Switch to OSX or Linux? Psh. Microsoft isn't at a bargaining table. At this point, they have the power to do as they please, and still weather the shitstorm that may happen. And in this case, it would have been beneficial to both the company and the IT world as a whole.[/citation]

They would do what they did with Vista. Keep their old stuff around, then MS would have had two straight os bombs.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I'm happy to say that I don't have any computer running XP any more. But yesterday I did install XP on a friends computer (the computer was also 10 years old)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
LOL on Vista... I had doubt Vista would surpass 24% of the market share... I win! Millions of people will still be using XP when the last Vista install boots for the last time.

[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Except that AMD's Bulldozer is selling really well and still has performance levels of around a 2500k in many benchmarks?[/citation]

Where are the numbers? If there are 30 benchmark areas comparing the 3850 Bulldozer to Phenom II and i5-2500k.... the 3850 may win 4-5 benchmarks. But is constantly WELL below any i5 and some i3s... and even slower than an AMD X4 CPU.

The 8 core AMD is really a 4 core. Its AMD's P4... its designed for higher clock rate. Its hotter, uses more power then the i5-2500.

I offered my clients with recent builds. Low-cost, AMD X4 or X2 (sub $100 CPUs) as I can get the X4 860 with a good motherboard for about $120. Otherwise, its the i5-2400~2500... which costs the same as a bulldozer... or less.

It doesn't matter than BD can run at 5Ghz out of the box... it'll get bitch slapped by a 3.2ghz Sandy bridge. A 10~50% performance deficit is bad.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]I don't understand people saying... ".XP is decent OS.".It's used for 10 years... and some people still use it!It's a XP MONSTER went you think about it.I try imagine in 10 years, if someone will still use iOS5 ? NO forget it! No one­.Microsoft is a great company and the price aren't that bad.[/citation]

There are still people who use Commodore and 16 bit computers (Amiga) today, almost 20 years since they went out of business. Mine still works... they peaked at about 1 million Amiga users. There are thousands left.

- iOS is a portable/media OS with devices that'll only live for about 3~5 years. Other than a collectors item... no.

- MS is not a great company. They rarely innovate (they are doing pretty good now), they bought and stole their way to be the big company that they are. The prices are high... considering they own about 95% of the desktop business. $100 for an upgrade disc? $200+ for a full version? Linux is free and Apple charges something like $30~50 for a single/5 user license for their desktop OS.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]newbie_mcnoob[/nom]So no Service Pack 4 for Windows XP? 2000 was around a shorter time and got a SP4, although MS scrapped plans for SP5.[/citation]
2000 was more enterprise orientated anyway with XP being aimed more at consumers.
As far as pick up by enterprise you will find any big company will have a mixture of XP, Vista and 7 across the company, with lowly service desk having crappy 6 year old HP desktops because there is no reason to swap outr a single use machine unless it physically dies and even then it will be swapped out with spares or machines from gold stock, then next level up like CM, Networks, MIM will have newer machines that will be mainly XP, with a few Vista and eventually as you work your way up through Service Management to Director level you will see a higher percentage of Vista and 7 machines.
If you have an estate of 40,000 staff then having a single OS on all machines will never happen but the transition to newer OS is a bit like terraforming, takes years and years.
Anyone who says their company switches every machine all at once is either a small company or have no idea about how to correctly run a budget in a multinational.

Status
Not open for further replies.