Hard disk living dead

nawnwa

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I had recently bought a seagate 500gb hdd, but it was sort of dead..
So i used the warranty and got it repaired( Took more than 2 months)
Initially it was working well without any problems alongwith an old 40gb WD hdd.
The problem started some 1 month back, when i tried to overclock the cpu above the limit( i dont know this was the cause of the problem or not)

The hdd used get undetected , but after 2-3 restarts it used get detected.

The problem grew with time, as earlier if i changed the sata cables / power cables it used to get detected. but npw it does not get detected.
I have even bought an external 1tb for backup.
These even if i clear the CMOS/ change the plugs/ restart several times, it wont get detected.
Earlier it used to happen only if the pc got off without shut down, but now its behaving so more frequently.
Sometimes the other HDD also gets undetected( very rare), and only the sata dvd rom gets detected.
My mobo has 24 pin connector, but i connected only 20pins( even though my PSU had 24 pins as i thought we didnt had to connect the remaining 4)
One more thing--- IF I OFF THE PC FOR MANY HOURS AND THEN ON IT, THE EVERYTHING RUNS OK WITH EVERYTHING BEING DETECTED.
I thought the problem was small ,as it used to get detected, but now 9/10 times it gets undetected.
My pc specs are:
asus p5kpl-am ps
Ram=2gb at 800mhz
Psu-- 550 watt (with 44amp +12vrail)
Ati 5750 (normal clocked)
quad core q9300 @ 2.5 ghz
40gb WD hdd
500gb seagate HDD ( the problematic one)
1TB external (got yesterday)
Win xp home sp3

Please help guys coz i dnt wanna give it in warranty coz they take a lot time to repair.
Is the problem due to
1) The psu got faulty
2)The HDD got faulty( the cables are good)
3)The bios