Reliom

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I just got my order in from Newegg

1.5TB Caviar Greens WD15EADS 2X
Blax Duet Sata Dock

I hooked them both up and encrypted them both with Truecrypt Ext3... They seem to be working fine I copied a ton of data to both of them but they seem to both be making a low alternating murmur sound similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9obzgmWrlM

Its not overly loud and everything I read says this is a normal sound but what concerns me is it does it non stop even when I unplug the USB cable to the dock and just let them power up.... is it normal to have them making a sound when absolutely nothing is accessing them?

Edit: Just noticed this not far down the list http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254460-32-hard-drive-noises but the only reply suggests the drives are bad.... this contradicts everything else I have read on the common noise but I still have yet to find anything about them making the noise non stop even when not accessed.

Edit2: Going to scan them with MHDD see what it turns up... wish I would have waited and go the Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI... already have two of them and they are dead silent after initialization.

Solution
Your drives are exposed so it's normal they make more sound than drives inside a box or internal drives.
The noise may also come from vibrations so you may want to check that.

Reliom

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I am even more confused now... I did an MHDD scan on the entrie disk and it turns out 90%+ sectors respond in 3ms but now I just started to copy more files to it and this time I payed attention to it and it make virtually no sound while writing seriously what the hell how can a drive make more noise idle then while its active??????

Mimoso

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Your drives are exposed so it's normal they make more sound than drives inside a box or internal drives.
The noise may also come from vibrations so you may want to check that.

Solution

Reliom

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008

Any idea why they would make almost no noise while active but I can hear a kind of alternating murmur while they are idle?