Question hard drive "device not migrated" - displaying folder structure of another HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

beepbeepcar

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello

I connected hard drive A via USB to the first windows computer, everything is fine. I remove it, connect hard drive B, and then Windows Explorer shows that the folders are exactly the same as hard drive A. However, when I click on them, then the folders are not actually accessible / openable, because of course, those are not the real folders in hard drive B.

To reemphasise, hard drive A and B have completely different folders / files.

Then when I connect hard drive B to a second windows computer, the windows explorer already shows the folders on hard drive B, with the same display as hard drive A, despite I never having connected hard drive A to the second computer before.

It's like as if windows explorer had imprinted the first layer of folders in hard drive A to hard drive B, and then now hard drive B carries that information to whatever computer I connect it to.

I tried changing the hard drive name of HDD B, and it changes, however now the HDD icon in the explorer disappears, and it shows the blank white A4 paper icon only.

The device properties for hard drive B, says

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST5000LM&Prod_000-2AN170\6&2f66e532&0&000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_MATSHITA&Prod_DMC-FX55&Rev_0100\0000000000000000003F0407280854&0
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF130
Present: false

I've also tried the "Check File system" function on "EaseUS Partition Master", and it did a series of "deleting orphan file record segment", before I clicked cancel.

The HDD is 5TB capacity, and I have about 4TB of files on it.

What's the problem please?

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS