[SOLVED] Hard drive failure symptoms on a new HDD ?

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
I have a 2TB HDD as a secondary drive on my PC and I started to get errors and bad sectors after replacing the motherboard and doing a BIOS update. I also noticed that the hard drive activity LED on the case isn't working, which doesn't bother me at all (maybe I messed up the connectors for it on the motherboard?) but could it be related to my issue or is it just a coincidence? (the HDD activity LED worked before I changed the motherboard) Could it be because I didn't reinstall windows after replacing the motherboard? The HDD and the whole system is less than a year old so it would seem surprising if it's just failing for no reason.
My system specs are:

ASUS TUF GAMING B550M PLUS
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 2070
16GB of ram at 3000mhz
650W seasonic PSU
nvme ssd as a boot drive
sata 3 ssd as a secondary drive
2TB HDD as a secondary drive

Last edited:
Solution
I noticed there are some scratches on the SATA cable so I replaced it in case that was the issue, and I also reformatted the drive and reinstalled all drivers for it. I used CrystalDiskInfo and all the bad sectors are gone, however the HDD activity LED on the case still doesn't work. I just want to know if the HDD activity LED on the case can have anything to do with a hard drive failure (it used to work before I replaced the motherboard).
The HDD activity LED is not important, you could just leave it disconnected if you prefer.
Try downloading a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to test the health of your drives.

020109-1022-wd250gbneed21.png

Hallahawk665

Prominent
Jun 17, 2020
Try downloading a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to test the health of your drives.
I noticed there are some scratches on the SATA cable so I replaced it in case that was the issue, and I also reformatted the drive and reinstalled all drivers for it. I used CrystalDiskInfo and all the bad sectors are gone, however the HDD activity LED on the case still doesn't work. I just want to know if the HDD activity LED on the case can have anything to do with a hard drive failure (it used to work before I replaced the motherboard).

The HDD activity LED is not important, you could just leave it disconnected if you prefer.

Solution
I think the HDD LED is a function of the MB....not the drive.