Hard Drive Intermittently Switching Off

pridefc

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Hey guys, would appreciate some help with my problem..

I've had a WD Red 3TB drive now for around 6 months (used as a secondary hd for storage). In the past month or so the drive will randomly disconnect (makes that power loss noise). It has happened while the PC is idle and while attempting to open files.

After this I shutdown my PC then turn it back on again, it will then automatically start CHKDSK which hasn't showed any problems so far.

This has happened 4/5 times in the past month.

I've looked at HDTune Pro and it says everything is ok.

What do you think is causing this issue and should I request a replacement?

Thanks.

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014
You might need to check your PSU also. It is possible that the drive is not getting enough power from the PSU in order to be properly operational.

pridefc

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
this is what HD TUNE Pro shows:

I don't think it's the PSU not giving out enough power because none my components are paticularly high end and they don't require much power.

I only have 3 SATA ports ( was 4 but one was accidently snapped off from a stuck sata cable) and they are all in use - SSD, HDD and my Blu Ray player.

This issue is starting to frustrate me, I just don't know what to do.

Is it worth requesting a replacement or should I look into other alternatives first?

Cheers.

CloneCharlz

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
I'm having the exact same problem, it keeps making clicking and revving noises.
I'm also thinking it might be PSU, but none of my other component are switching off, like my main ssd

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014

You can try a different PSU to eliminate the possibility that it is not a PSU problem.

Does it show any red blocks when you click on the "Error Scan" next to the "Health Bar"(the provided screenshot). Apart from that, the health of status of the HDD seems to be fine according to the results.
I would also agree with trekzone and say that it might be a good idea to try powering up with another PSU.
Regarding the cables, you can just switch them without changing the ports.

If nothing helps and you think that the problem is caused by the HDD, you can contact the WD's Support either by e-mail or phone and eventually RMA the drive.

WD's Support: http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en
RMA: http://support.wdc.com/warranty/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

pridefc

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Just happened again, I tried to access an mp3 then the HDD made a lot of clicking followed by the power off noise. Then when I tried to open the folder I recieved the message "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

Upon restarting I was greeted again by CHKDSK which showed no bad sectors.

The current SATA cables I have are Delock with the metal clip attachments and are only 4/5 months old.

Just came across the following post about SATA cables:

"The most common problem I've encountered inside computers is just like this. Over time the metal contacts in connectors build up a fine layer of metal oxide on their surfaces, leading to poor connections. At first this is intermittent, but eventually it becomes permanent. The fix is surprisingly easy. If you simply disconnect the cable and then re-connect (preferably several times) that action often will scrub the oxide layer off and leave you with good contacts again. So when this happens to me I shut down and disconnect from power, open the case, and go through the entire innards. I'll disconnect / re-connect every cable I can find at both ends.

Just be careful of a few things. First is a general principle: DON"T FORCE IT! Connectors RARELY are so stiff you must pull hard. If it seems tough to disconnect, check closely to see if it is some kind of locking connector with a little tab you must press to free it. It"s especially true when you re-connect: if you have to push it in really hard, don't!. Look more carefully and be sure the pieces are aligned correctly so they fit smoothly and easily. Next is to be gentle enough that you don't hit or twist something hard enough to break it. And lastly, watch to be sure you don't loosen something else while you are working on the current cable, or you might create a loose connection you don't know about. And if it does not work after all your "cleaning" actions, look closely again to see if there is an unrecognized loose connector. Oh, and a last rule: do this one cable and one end at a time. Last thing you need is five cable ends loose so you risk plugging two or three into the wrong places!"

So what are the best SATA cables I can order from Amazon?

Also, do I need to do a long scan? and if so what is the best scan to use to check the integrity of the drive. The WD Life Diagnostics Extended test or the HD Tune error scan?

pridefc

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Right, so I've tried a different Sata port, different Sata data cable and neither have worked it still keeps cutting out.

I'm going to try using a different Sata power connector. Would that make a difference? or will it be that because the Sata power connectors are connected to the same cable, that all of the connectors will be dodgy?

You can try that too. Also as trekzone already mentioned, it may be a good idea to borrow a PSU from somebody and and see whether the drive will disconnect again. If it does(and you already checked all the connection stuff as cables/ports), most probably there is something wrong with the drive. You can use the links I have previously posted and contact WD's support.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD