[SOLVED] Hard drive magically healed? or glitch?

Feb 18, 2022
So im using hard disk sentinel to check my hard drives health and one has been showing 13% health left and no more than 14 days left on its lifetime wich means that its basically dead. I removed all data and it just sat in my computer empty for some days. But today i went into hard disk sentinel to check my drives and it showed 100% health and more that 828 days left on its lifetime. i tried restarting the program and my pc to see if it changed but nothing changed. is this a glitch or has it magically been healed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Bad sectors can't be 'fixed' as such. Drives have some reserve, spare sectors if you like, and if they can read the data from the sectors gone bad (bad sectors) they 'reallocate' the sectors that is write the data to the reserved ones and mark/flag the bad ones as 'do not use'.

You can keep using the drive but I wouldn't keep anything important and/or irreplacable on it as you neved know with sick drives. Sometimes they work for years sometimes they die the day or week after bad sectors appear.
Feb 18, 2022
if your drive got smaller now then it could heal itself (by locking up weared blocks)
Yes i think that was what happened. i ran it through seagate software and did a full diagnostics scan and the result came back perfect so it must have fixed the broken sectors or something by itselft. not sure if the size of the hdd changed tho.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Bad sectors can't be 'fixed' as such. Drives have some reserve, spare sectors if you like, and if they can read the data from the sectors gone bad (bad sectors) they 'reallocate' the sectors that is write the data to the reserved ones and mark/flag the bad ones as 'do not use'.

You can keep using the drive but I wouldn't keep anything important and/or irreplacable on it as you neved know with sick drives. Sometimes they work for years sometimes they die the day or week after bad sectors appear.

Solution