Hard drive not being detected? [SOLVED]

jseitz81

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me. So my temps were getting bit hot so I decided to open up the case to get any dust inside, out. The only things in the Pc that I have unplugged was the cpu fan the front intake fans and I noticed I must have loosened the dvd/CD drive. (Desktop pc)

After everything was cleaned I started the Pc up again but it gave me an error:

2.2 infinity screen popped up.

No bootable device found press enter.

Opened it back up again unplugged the HDD to make sure it was tight and made sure the dvd drive, cup and the fan plugs were all in good. When I replugged in the dvd/CD drive now when I turn on my Pc gives me the option.

Please select boot device.

Only option is Cd/DVD: HL-DT-ST dvdram gh24nsb0

Shouldn't it list my HD?

One more thing I did was try to boot from my Windows 8 disk.

First it asked me to reinstall win8 but it said something about removing media and restarting but it wouldn't restart because it wasn't reading something. Tried going through it again but now it is just saying no bootable device.

I don't get what would cause this with just unplugging the cup and intake fans initially :(

Solution
Ugh sorry about that- had to use another site, and this other PC is suuuuper slow lol

UPDATE:

So I got everything working perfect again. Browsing countless threads online and one person suggested to go into BIOS and click the Optimized Default. Worked like a charm. My guess is that when I knocked out the DVD power it caused the settings to change.

Appreciate the help :)

ragnar-gd

Reputable
You can, at first, only check if something changed in BIOS due to starting the machine while your HDD wasn't connected (that sometimes happens with older machines).
Then, if your HDD does not show up in BIOS, re-connect your HDD with power, perhaps choosing other power-connectors and other SATA-cables.

Less likely, but happened to me, by coincidence your HDD died when you did that (NOT BECAUSE, but JUST BECAUSE OF BAD LUCK AT THE SAME TIME)...

jseitz81

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
Hey thanks for your response. I went into BIOS and it is listed under sata3 I tried swapping to a different sat a connector and power connector. Still not picking it up.

jseitz81

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
2ewcm4o.jpg
Youll have to forgive me I do not see anything that officially says boot section. I am not really good with this stuff, still learning :) Here is a photo of my BIOS menu- unless you mean the one that has all of my drives listed.

2432tfs.jpg

jseitz81

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2015
Ugh sorry about that- had to use another site, and this other PC is suuuuper slow lol

UPDATE:

So I got everything working perfect again. Browsing countless threads online and one person suggested to go into BIOS and click the Optimized Default. Worked like a charm. My guess is that when I knocked out the DVD power it caused the settings to change.

Appreciate the help :)

Solution