Hard Drive Not Fully Working

LordGhira

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Hello. So I've recently been doing some upgrades to my computer, and I was in the middle of playing a game when the game just freezes. I later notice that there is something wrong with my HD. It had been working fine for a day after I installed the upgrades. When I restart the computer it works fine for about 10 minutes or so before most of the files on it 'disappear' and can only be brought back by restarting. I've tried to change around some of my SATA cables to see if it was a wiring issue, but I haven't messed around with the power supply yet.

Is there anything else that I can try before purchasing and installing a new HD? Or is it just likely that the HD got damaged during my repairs and is now gone?

Solution
Hey there, LordGhira.

I'd also recommend that you backup your important data if you haven't done so already. You could try a different SATA port as well. You should also download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests, to see what's the situation with the drive. If something alarming pops-up then you'll know it's the drive for sure. If this is the case and if the HDD is under warranty, you should be able to RMA it.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, LordGhira.

I'd also recommend that you backup your important data if you haven't done so already. You could try a different SATA port as well. You should also download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests, to see what's the situation with the drive. If something alarming pops-up then you'll know it's the drive for sure. If this is the case and if the HDD is under warranty, you should be able to RMA it.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution