[SOLVED] Hard drive not spinning after replacing power supply

Willsportsfan1

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
Hey guys,

I recently got the Asus anti surge detection on my PC and determined that I needed a new power supply. I bought one and realized that it wasn't fully modular, hey no big deal, so I ordered one that was. I installed the fully modular one and everything worked expect for my hard drive. After checking the power and data chords I decided to try the other power supply that I ordered initially. I got everything hooked up with that one, still no hard drive spinning. I checked BIOS settings to see if it had been disabled and tried a different SATA port on my motherboard. This started as a power supply replacement and turned into hard drive problems so I'm a bit confused. The hard drive was working fine on the old PSU and untouched in between replacements. Is it possible that I somehow broke it when I was moving things around? My next idea is to get a new SATA data cable and try that, please give any other ideas you have!

Thanks!

Specs:
PSU new current - Thermaltake Smart 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
PSU new fully modular - Segotep 650W Fully Modular Gaming Power Supply
All other parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tRt4ht

Hey guys,

I recently got the Asus anti surge detection on my PC and determined that I needed a new power supply. I bought one and realized that it wasn't fully modular, hey no big deal, so I ordered one that was. I installed the fully modular one and everything worked expect for my hard drive. After checking the power and data chords I decided to try the other power supply that I ordered initially. I got everything hooked up with that one, still no hard drive spinning. I checked BIOS settings to see if it had been disabled and tried a different SATA port on my motherboard. This started as a power supply replacement and turned into hard drive problems so I'm a bit confused. The hard drive was working fine on the old PSU and untouched in between replacements. Is it possible that I somehow broke it when I was moving things around? My next idea is to get a new SATA data cable and try that, please give any other ideas you have!

Thanks!

Specs:
PSU new current - Thermaltake Smart 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
PSU new fully modular - Segotep 650W Fully Modular Gaming Power Supply
All other parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tRt4ht
Did you dround before playong with pc... Or is it possible you shorted the power board on your hdd. With elctro static

Willsportsfan1

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
When you changed PSUs, did you also change ALL MODULAR CABLES? (Using/mixing old modular cables with potentially different pinouts on PSU side can have disastrous consequences...and quite quickly)

No I didn't :( I changed all the cables except the one to the HDD ... Sound like you found the source of my problem. So this means I ran power through the wrong chord from the PSU to the HDD which is connected to the motherboard. Do you think only my HDD was fried or could it have gone to the SATA ports on the motherboard? Considering everything else is working this makes me thing I fried the HDD and that should be my next item to replace.

No I didn't :( I changed all the cables except the one to the HDD ... Sound like you found the source of my problem. So this means I ran power through the wrong chord from the PSU to the HDD which is connected to the motherboard. Do you think only my HDD was fried or could it have gone to the SATA ports on the motherboard? Considering everything else is working this makes me thing I fried the HDD and that should be my next item to replace.
Just the hdd and cable probably

Reactions: Willsportsfan1