Hard drive not working, won't boot.

Cisar

Honorable
May 27, 2014
Hello everyone, I had a small laptop 120gb hard drive laying arround, so I decided to put it on a laptop and see if it worked.

When I turned on the laptop it asked me to boot in recovery mode, so I did, couldn't do anything there, everything was throwing an error message, so I decided to install a new windows(10, just to try), it said something like windows cannot be installed on this disk, so I used the cmd to delete all the partitions and formatt the hard drive.

It kept showing the same error so I decided to install it anyways, everything was going well after the first restart to complete the install, at the last step it truned off and now it wont go pass the "Setup is starting services"

Is the Hard Drive dead? is there anything I can try?

Solution

I managed to fix it, not entirely, it booted now, but pc shuts down randomly, I don't know if the hard drive gets too hot, I'm gonna be testing it to see if it keeps doing it.

To anyone having this issue, it may not work for you but it did for me, at least to make it boot:

"On the same error...
Hey there, Cisar.

It really sounds that the hard drive might be having issues if you weren't able to properly use it after a clean install as well. I'd suggest that you download it's manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests, to see what's the situation with the HDD. You could also try it with a different computer if you have that option, to see how it behaves.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Cisar

Honorable
May 27, 2014

I managed to fix it, not entirely, it booted now, but pc shuts down randomly, I don't know if the hard drive gets too hot, I'm gonna be testing it to see if it keeps doing it.

To anyone having this issue, it may not work for you but it did for me, at least to make it boot:

"On the same error screen press SHIFT+F10 and it will open up a black Window. (a command prompt window) 2) In the black windows type the word "regedit"(without the inverted commas and hit enter. That will open the registry editor. In the Registry Editor.. Browse to.... HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and after highliting childcompletion,on the right hand side check for setup.exe. if the value is 1 change it to 3.(by double clicking on setup.exe and changing the value shown in the box). Then close the registry editor and then also close the black window. Then click on OK for the error and the computer will restart and the installation may complete. just try it and let me know if it worked."

Solution