Hard Drive Prices to Remain Inflated Throughout 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I recall I could buy asus board for AMD for about 50 Euro in 2006, semi premiums for 60-80, "premiums" for 80-120 Euro.

Fast forward a couple of years, and, oh, it's 30-60% pricier. Oh, end exactly same enermax PSU costs 30% more. Wow.

I wonder what "natural disaster" caused that?
/sarcasm

Seriously, what can we do vs transnational cartel agreements?

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
One of my hard drives started making the clicking noise of death this past week. I just said "@#^%, this couldn't happen at a worse time." Looks like I'll just have to bend over and take it to get a new hard drive for that computer.

SkateZilla

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
the prices will never go down,

the HDD Companies are going to do what the oil companies have been doing since the Pipeline broke,

Raise the Price through the Roof, promise they are gonna lower them, lower them little by little and every time something happens, whether it affects the HDDs or not, they go right back up.

So, prices will drop about $10 next month, and when a 200lb chunk of seaweed washes up on Australia's beach, they'll cite that it affected them somehow and jack the prices back up.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I have heard that the flooding only had an impact on specific models of drives, but the manufacturers were more than willing to take advantage of the situation.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I call bs. They know the PC manufacturers have no other choice so HDD manufacturers are just purposely keeping the prices inflated to massively profit from PC manufacturers and customers.

austin512

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Everybody complaining about price fixing has no idea what they're talking about. When there's a shortage, prices will go up. And since most hard drives are purchased in advanced through contracts, it's the in the spot market prices that will skyrocket, and this is what shows up in places like Newegg and Amazon.

If you're complaining about record profits, you're complaining about those companies not in Thailand (doing the smart thing according to you), now reaping the benefits of their competitors' mistake. Those companies are the reason there are any hard drives still for sale at all.

If you think that manufacturers have an incentive you keep prices high, you obviously haven't considered those companies losing money for the last 4 months because they haven't had anything to sell. And the first company to get everything working again can take advantage of the currently high prices until they go back to normal. There are huge incentive for getting their production back up precisely because prices are high.

G

They can only milk the cow so long before it bites them in the butt. For people needing large storage for media there maybe no way around Hard-drives, but for the average gamer it maybe more justifiable to but a new SSD and pool together multiple HDD from older computers.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
want some proofs of the supposed inflation? just check the current notebooks selling at normal prices with normal HDD's. if HDD's were overpriced notebooks would cost more.
just check a previous article from toms. an 14" HP with 1tb 2.5 hdd selling for $750. normal price BEFORE the thai floods was about $800.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I got a 2 TB last year before the prices really inflated. I'm glad I can last until this is over. My last upgrade was for an SSD, and that was for performance reasons.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
why is it that no one under stands this?

HDD MANUFACTURES HAVENT JACKED THE PRICES RETAIL HAS.

a 70$ drive would cos 91$ but im going at this from a retail 70$, i dont know what the manufactures sell it for.

instead we are at best for a 1tb drive paying 110$ (they say they cost 130) on newegg for a new gimped warranty drive.

the prices get worse the more storage you want, and its not the manufactures fault, its retail

can we PLEASE point the finger at the right people

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They forgot the biggest reason why prices will remain high, and that is because the media is agreeing with them with the supply issues.

When ever the media takes notice of a supposed supply issue, many companies use that as an excuse to boost profit margins because people will be more willing to accept the higher price.

But what many people don't notice is there are many products that do not change prices very often. instead what happens is for items not closely monitored by the media, a commodity price will increase for a short while and company that increased the price will have their stocks go down and they will lower their prices again.

Price increases from the top of the line can only take place if everyone down the line is willing to increase their prices. If any link in the chain/ line is unwilling to move, then the chain breaks if the other links push or pull too hard.

The media has the ability to act as a global push on the entire chain. For example, when ever the media goes and talks about a change that has a good chance at causing food prices to go up, then food prices go up whether impending doom takes place or not that the media bought up.

The media makes price increases a safer course of action for many businesses as it shifts blame away from the company that increases the price. (it is the equivalent to companies illegally getting together in order to fix prices. For example suppose you sell a product and make $10 profit. Now suppose you wanted to make $20 profit but increasing the products price by $10 would cause your customers to leave you for a cheaper competitor. This is where price fixing comes in. You could hold a meeting and agree to increase prices at the same time thus allowing everyone to keep their customers while at the same time, everyone having a profit margin increase, thus all involved companies benefit at the cost of the consumers)

(the second non illegal scenario is to get the media to weave a story of impending doom (eg look at the debt ceiling crap in the US it has 100% no bearing on reality as a country cant decide on it's own debt ceiling, instead it is based on how much money other countries are willing to lone you, but it allowed the government to scare people thus make them more willing to agree to a greater amount of centralizing the power held by government. The same can happen with hard drive prices. get the media to constantly cover it, then you get a global push that all companies can take advantage of which is an overall across the board price increase that benefits all of the companies at the cost of the consumers)

While it is clear that flooding did effect the supply, it is also clear that it does not take that long to convert a facility to produce a certain product thus it should take less time to repair a damaged one. I feel that the supply is just fine and the companies are just seeing how long they can keep this farce going before the market catches on and forces price down.

Another thing that supports my hypothesis is that companies like western digital saw net income increases in the quarters after the flooding that supposedly effected their supplies.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
“Furthermore, PC brands have signed annual contacts with HDD makers that have locked them into elevated pricing deals for the rest of the year.”
What....
"sorry we are being forced to sell these hdds for a high price, nothing we can do about. Oooh profit."

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
WD made huge profits even when they sold 40% less hard drives. This is only possible since there are just only two hard drive manufactures today. That is the real reason for the extreme prices and that they wont come down. Ever.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I'm confused. Let's assume prices legitimately went up to even out profit margins. The numbers provided to us then seem to indicate that while shipments will increase, prices will stay up.

Do they think we're stupid?

This seems to me now more of mixed stunt by the SSD manufacturers and HDD manufacturers... if the prices got HDDs stays high, more people will opt for the SSD option. Now since the HDD companies are also manufacturing SSDs, it's a way forward to push their market up, since people will buy SSDs either way.
The companies have understood, that if a chap pays an exorbitant amount of cash for another companies SSD why can't he pay the same or a little less for their SSD.... so basically the consumer is being pushed into a corner where he has no option but to choose a SSD since the slower HDD might just be the same price but only a little more in capacity.....

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
i dont know about the rest of you.. but i see a 215% +++ increase in prices. i bought my 500gb WD caviar blue $55.99 may 25th 2010. and now the same drive sells for $120. yet right before the flooding i remember being able to buy a 1tb drive for the same price. $50-60-ish. WD caviar Black 1TB is at $200 right now.. thats ALOT for 1TB.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
i wont. i will not buy another drive until prices come back down to a reasonable level.
and the only way to make them become reasonable again is to not buy them.. show segate and WD that we are not going to buy the drives at the inflated prices.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
they can continue the price hike for whatever there want, I just got enough HDD for 3yrs. So I can hold on for 3yrs without buying another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.