hard drive read

mikenmont

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
have installed new hard drive formatted and allocated ok now shows in bios and drive list as drive D and can read files and send files via copy only . if i right click on a file the 'send to' option does not appear and I have to send to my SSD and copy files across

USAFRet

Titan

What OS?

Looking at my Windows 8, and the other PC with 7 and 8.1....other internal drives do not show up in the "Send to..."
External drives and mapped drives that live elsewhere do. Other internal drives don't

You can do it this way:
Right click, Copy
Select the target folder, right click, Paste.

mikenmont

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

so you are saying that this problem is totally unresolvable and any internal hard drives are non 'send to' and I will have to live with copy and paste for ever more maybe I am not really surprised by this as I thought it odd if I had send to then I would then have to have send to again to access file entry

USAFRet

Titan
I'm saying there are multiple other options to move files to other internal drives. I don't consider it a 'problem' to be 'resolved'.

Drag/drop, copy/paste

For drives in varying locations, Windows treats them differently
Between folders on the same drive, click-drag defaults to Move
Between folders on different drives, click-drag defaults to Copy
Right click on a file, and Send To shows only non-internal drives (and other functions), because there is little reason to "Send to" a drive on the same PC. There are other easy methods of moving files within the same PC.

If absolutely needed, there are ways of creating other entries in the right click context menu. But that involves registry edits.

mikenmont

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

mikenmont

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

sorry old boy I do get the point its not hard to move files from a to b for me it was more of a learning curve, I was interested to know if it was possible to create this option or why this option does not appear as I am sure other people have been curious

USAFRet

Titan

If you really want:
How To Add & Remove Entries from The Windows Right-Click Menu