Hard Drive shuts down and stays down after system restart

farbasso

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Hard Drive shuts down and stays down after system restart. Have to do a shutdown and start computer for disk to start up again. This is a secondary SSD installed into a laptop.

For example:

When starting up computer both hard drives are working. We do a restart, and only the booting hard drive with OS is working. Can't see the other in disk management or device management.
We do a shutdown, with a startup afterwards, and both disk work fine again.

Do anyone have a solution or explanation to this?

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @farbasso!

I'd advise you to backup all your data from the drives somewhere off-site of the laptop and make sure the data is safe and sound copied elsewhere. This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss during the troubleshooting. I'd also recommend you check how the system will recognize both drives, if you reset BIOS through the settings. This will get them back to factory defaults, so you will need to re-configure any manual changes you have made in the interface. I suspect that the issue could be coming from a faulty connection to the secondary drive. You could try swapping the places of the SSD and the HDD and see if the system will boot properly then. If it's indeed the SATA connector, I'd...
Welcome to the TH Community, @farbasso!

I'd advise you to backup all your data from the drives somewhere off-site of the laptop and make sure the data is safe and sound copied elsewhere. This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss during the troubleshooting. I'd also recommend you check how the system will recognize both drives, if you reset BIOS through the settings. This will get them back to factory defaults, so you will need to re-configure any manual changes you have made in the interface. I suspect that the issue could be coming from a faulty connection to the secondary drive. You could try swapping the places of the SSD and the HDD and see if the system will boot properly then. If it's indeed the SATA connector, I'd advise you to contact the laptop manufacturer's customer support for assistance or turn to a nearby PC repair service to perform full diagnostics.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting, though. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution