Question Hard drive, SSD, and DVD drive not working (All connected to SATA)

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
After replacing my motherboard (The new motherboard is the same exact model as the last one) I plugged EVERYTHING, (EVERYTHING) in. I went to boot up my pc (For the 3rd time; the last 2 were me booting up my PC with a nearly dead front fan. So I replaced that. Then, when I successfully booted my pc, it passed post, it passed bios, but when it got past bios, it said "No boot device found." I made sure all the SATA cables were plugged in, and still, same thing. Just to make this short, I tested everything I could think of. Tested the power of the cables powering the devices, I checked the SATA cables, I checked the motherboard. Nothing. There are still a few things I could think of, but can't do them right now. Anybody who knows how to fix this?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This may simply be that the NEW mobo has no idea WHERE the Operating System (Windows?) is located. The new mobo will have a default location to look at, but if it happens that is not where your O/S, it does not know how to search for it. You need to tell it. Do you know which HDD the O/S is on?

Go into BIOS Setup and look for the section for boot details. There should be a place there for you to specify which HDD has the O/S. Often this is more like you tell it a priority sequence of two or more devices that MIGHT be where to boot from, and you normally specify the main place you know is right. Use the Esc key back to Main Menu, then go to the Exit Menu. There chose to SAVE your settings and Exit. This will reboot, and should find your O/S where you said.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
This may simply be that the NEW mobo has no idea WHERE the Operating System (Windows?) is located. The new mobo will have a default location to look at, but if it happens that is not where your O/S, it does not know how to search for it. You need to tell it. Do you know which HDD the O/S is on?

Go into BIOS Setup and look for the section for boot details. There should be a place there for you to specify which HDD has the O/S. Often this is more like you tell it a priority sequence of two or more devices that MIGHT be where to boot from, and you normally specify the main place you know is right. Use the Esc key back to Main Menu, then go to the Exit Menu. There chose to SAVE your settings and Exit. This will reboot, and should find your O/S where you said.
No. None of the drives are recognized at all. They don't power on. And the OS is on my SSD.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since your OS is on an SSD, try this. DISconnect ALL of your SATA devices except that unit. Try to boot. Does it find that SSD and boot from it? If yes, then try ONE at a time re-connecting the SATA units (try HDD's first), and see when the problem returns.

If the SSD-only configuration does NOT boot successfully, look closely at how your SATA devices are configured. Many older systems allowed you an option to have each individual (or someimtes all the same) SATA device used as an AHCI device (their natural way) OR as an older PATA or IDE device. In the latter form it used only the commands for such devices. But apparently SATA devices originally Initialized under that older system and containng data written that way can NOT be read by a mobo trying to use the AHCI way. So it is possible that this item on the new mobo arrived with a default setting that does not match what your devices (already containing info) are. FURTHER, nearly ALL SSD's REQUIRE that they be used as AHCI devices. So you can TRY changing that paremeter in the SATA configuration screen, then reboot and see if the SSD can be read and used to boot. If it works, leave it that way and start re-connecting other units. If it does NOT re-set that parameter to the original default and consider other possibilities.

In either case, let us know what happens.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
I had already tried your first recommendation when I encountered the problem, but I'm not sure if I tried that second one. I will try doing that and see what happens.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Since your OS is on an SSD, try this. DISconnect ALL of your SATA devices except that unit. Try to boot. Does it find that SSD and boot from it? If yes, then try ONE at a time re-connecting the SATA units (try HDD's first), and see when the problem returns.

If the SSD-only configuration does NOT boot successfully, look closely at how your SATA devices are configured. Many older systems allowed you an option to have each individual (or someimtes all the same) SATA device used as an AHCI device (their natural way) OR as an older PATA or IDE device. In the latter form it used only the commands for such devices. But apparently SATA devices originally Initialized under that older system and containng data written that way can NOT be read by a mobo trying to use the AHCI way. So it is possible that this item on the new mobo arrived with a default setting that does not match what your devices (already containing info) are. FURTHER, nearly ALL SSD's REQUIRE that they be used as AHCI devices. So you can TRY changing that paremeter in the SATA configuration screen, then reboot and see if the SSD can be read and used to boot. If it works, leave it that way and start re-connecting other units. If it does NOT re-set that parameter to the original default and consider other possibilities.

In either case, let us know what happens.
Update: None of this worked; Thanks for the solutions though.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry to hear that. Try alexbirdie's second item - change to Legacy Boot option for this older mobo. That may be how your SSD's data is done.

Next idea: try booting in Safe Mode. Details here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-92c27cff-db89-8644-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234

IF your new mobo has one or more components that are different from your old one and thus requires a different device driver or two, Safe Mode will let you boot without all drivers - just the essential ones. IF you can boot that way you can go into Windows Device Manager and look though it for any yellow caution flags. IF you see any, that means the required driver is missing and you need to update it. When you can get NO yellow cautions, back out of Device Manager and reboot without Safe Mode if you can.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
How did you install Windows 11 on that old prebuilt board?
If you're asking how I was ABLE to install it with an old board, I downloaded an app that will allow you to force install windows 11. I don't want you telling me that this probably caused my drive to stop working, because it was working up until I replaced my motherboard.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
So I used a 2.5 inch laptop hard drive to test, and it worked perfectly fine. I'm currently installing Windows on it right now. So my conclusion is that, all 3 drives probably got fried.