[SOLVED] Hard Drive usage 100% in games.

blazikenplays

Commendable
Sep 2, 2017
My task manager is reporting my disk usage is 100%, and my game (Rainbow Six Siege) is taking forever to load, even though its on an ssd. Task manager is open on my second screen and when it says 100% usage the dropdown on disk says that nothing is using the drive, and there is only 3 or four things using <1% of the 3 drives in my computer total. I have a boot drive which is an ssd, and my games are on a second ssd and there is a third backup hdd installed.

My setup is:
CPU: i5-7500
GPU: GTX-1070
Ram: 16gb DDR4-2400mhz corsair vengeance LP
Drives: 1tb hdd, 500gb ssd, 120gb ssd
PSU: Corsair cx-650

Solution
Bit of a late reply, tried everything and it didn't work. Was playing some games with some friends when they were talking about ssd firmware, which I didn't know existed. Downloaded the relevant firmware, and no issues after around 6 hours of playing games so it seems to be sorted.

Thanks for all the help anyways though!

blazikenplays

Commendable
Sep 2, 2017
Run Performance Monitor as Admin and check the drive's usage, sounds like something is using the drive.

I have been running Resource Monitor side by side with Task manager on my second screen. I took a screenshot as soon as the issue popped up again.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Kv0FcON

I had it sorted by disk activity and then changed it back but task manager said the highest use was by system, using 0.1 MBps. I had 2 drives installed at the time of the picture which is why its saying only 50% is being used. During the time of the issue i had long loading times where i was just sitting in the menu while nothing was loading around me.

I'd try disconnecting any unneeded drives, just to rule them out of the equation...

I've had a failing spinning SATA drive make my NVME-only system take 3 minutes to boot whenever the failing drive was even connected, as various background file/folder inventory actions were completed...; even once formatted, hypothetically eliminating concerns over lots of folders, etc., the boot time was increased to one full minute over the normal 10-15 seconds...

blazikenplays

Commendable
Sep 2, 2017
Bit of a late reply, tried everything and it didn't work. Was playing some games with some friends when they were talking about ssd firmware, which I didn't know existed. Downloaded the relevant firmware, and no issues after around 6 hours of playing games so it seems to be sorted.

Thanks for all the help anyways though!

Solution