Hard Drive usage not displayed correctly

Hello:
Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
--
Barb

peter

Hi,

Check the pagefiles and restore files settings.
Your restore files is set to 10% of the C drive capacity by default and the
pagefiles is 1.5 to 3 times of the physical memory on the DIMM slots.
It is quite safe to change the restore files size to not more than 500MB.

Peter

"Barb" wrote:

> Hello:
> Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
> says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
> properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
> this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
> doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
> --
> Barb

Barb, open MyComputer>rt click your Hard Drive Icon>select
Properties>Disk Cleanup>More Options>System Restore>Cleanup. Say Yes and Ok
to all.
"Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
> Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
> says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
> properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can
> fix
> this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
> doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
> --
> Barb

Thanks, Rich. I tried the System Restore>Cleanup, but it didn't fix the
problem. I also did the Office SP3, the WinXP SP2 install, and the OS
repair, but none of those fixed it. Any other ideas? I didn't even know
about that System Restore>Cleanup. I called Dell and they said to do a whole
system re-format/re-install and that it was probably spyware, but I ran
Adaware & Spybot and found next to nothing. They just gave me their patt
answer to everything I think. :)

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Barb, open MyComputer>rt click your Hard Drive Icon>select
> Properties>Disk Cleanup>More Options>System Restore>Cleanup. Say Yes and Ok
> to all.
> "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> > Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
> > says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
> > properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can
> > fix
> > this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
> > doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
> > --
> > Barb

Peter:
Thanks for your response. The restore settings were set at 12%, so I
changed them down to 5%, but that didn't seem to fix anything and page files
were in the range you specified. Any other ideas? Thanks!

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check the pagefiles and restore files settings.
> Your restore files is set to 10% of the C drive capacity by default and the
> pagefiles is 1.5 to 3 times of the physical memory on the DIMM slots.
> It is quite safe to change the restore files size to not more than 500MB.
>

> Peter
>
> "Barb" wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> > Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
> > says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
> > properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
> > this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
> > doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
> > --
> > Barb

br549

Are your Folder (View) Options set to show hidden files and folders?

"Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Hello:
Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can fix
this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
--
Barb

Barb, try this Utility. It's free for 15 days and will give you a good
idea of what is on your C:
http://www.foldersizes.com/download-folder-sizes/index.htm

"BR549" <spamspam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Are your Folder (View) Options set to show hidden files and folders?
>
> "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
> Can anyone help me? I noticed when I check properties under drive C: it
> says that half (55GB) is used. When I select all files under C: and check
> properties, it says that only 12GB is used. Does anyone know how i can
> fix
> this? Would chkdsk will fix this? Would applying SP2 fix this? How about
> doing an Win XP repair (from CD)? Thanks for any help!
> --
> Barb

TRENDING THREADS