mevensen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I have a self-built system that's a couple years old, with a hard drive I migrated from my previous system. I noticed that my hard rive was really starting to grind on mundane tasks (i.e. startup), and decided to update my HDD.

After obtaining a new drive and installing physically (old drive about 250 GB, new drive 2TB), I set up to clone my old system drive (using Seagate software). Everything seemed to be working fine, but when the cloning got to 50% completion, the system just powered down. I reboot, set up the cloning again, the system powers down at 50% again. Now, my system will not boot. MB posts as normal, but I get a generic drive failure message that just says hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.

These are both SATA drives, and I am using controlled on motherboard.

I have checked the drive cables. I have disconnected the new drive, as well as a secondary drive I was using for data. The system won't boot into Windows anymore.

Any ideas? I'm afraid the drive may have failed, and I was just a couple days late on reacting. But I wanted to check if anyone had any other ideas to get the drive to respond.

Thanks.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
It would help to know the Make & Model (etc) for both the MoBo and HardDrive..

If the MoBo is more than a year (or two) old, there's a good chance it'll need a BIOS update to handle 2TB drives (unless it's already been done).

It's also worth checking that the cloning software can handle 2TB drives.

mevensen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
But it's not the new drive that's the problem.

The BIOS was updated earlier this year. The system seemed to recognize the new drive fine.

It's the old drive which is giving problems.

The cloning software is from the new HDD manufacturer.

I am at work and can't get the model numbers.

Right now, the system is not connected to the new HDD, just the old system drive.