Hard freezing, crashing, problems getting worse...

constar

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Hello all,

I will try to ask this intelligently, but I am not the most experienced computer mechanic by far.

I have a 10-month-old Cyberpower system that was (and still is) way overpowered for what I need. I do a moderate amount of gaming, but mostly I work on this computer, surf the net and occasionally record music.

System specs: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, dual AMD RX 580 graphics cards, 64GB Adata DDR4-3000 XPG Z1, MSI X3999 Gaming Pro Carbon AC EATX motherboard, EVGA 1000W 80-Plus Gold GQ modular power supply, and enough cooling (I can count 14 fans plus a liquid cooling system just looking through the glass side of the case). It also has an ASUS STRIX SOAR 7.1 sound card, which will become noteworthy later.

About 2 months ago, crashes started while gaming. The first time it crashed, it was after a rare day of playing 4-5 hours. Each subsequent crash was shorter until the thing started crashing every 1-2 minutes after startup. I didn't even need to boot up a game at that point. It would crash while reading email, or even just sitting still. Any kind of load would kill it quick.

I suspected drivers and I've done a full, clean uninstall several times with DDU programs and whatnot (I'm running AMD's latest Adrenalin suite). I've reverted Windows Update to an earlier version. At first, this seemed to fix the problem. The "fix" lasted about a month.

Then it started again. I did the whole uninstall-the-world deal again, and bought myself another two weeks. But now it's back, and with a vengeance.

I also have a new problem. On my last driver uninstall, the SOAR sound card is no longer recognized. It's in the computer, but the computer doesn't see it. I really want it back, because I'm having to use the onboard Realtek sound right now and it's an AM radio compared to the SOAR.

I basically play WoW, a baseball game called Out Of The Park, Madden 19 and occasionally some other games. All of them will crash the system within a few minutes of use.

I can check Event, and there are no errors recorded. I have some basic monitoring software running in the background, and the hottest temp I've recorded on the graphics cards is 55 degrees C. The fans run fine. I can open the case and things are barely warm.

When it crashes, the screen freezes. It doesn't black out. But the only solution is to do a hard reset by holding the case power button down for 5 seconds.

I don't think anything is loose; the computer hasn't moved an inch since it was delivered 10 months ago. Also it ran fine from April 2018 until December 2018.

I've tried everything I know to do and I'm stuck. Please help if you can.

constar

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019

Yes, I've seen nothing rise outside of normal levels.

One thing I did try -- simply because it was free and easy, with little downside -- was something I saw suggested in another topic, from a father whose son advised him to watch a YouTube video before starting any game. I tried that last night and got 4 hours of interrupted use out of the computer, with no crashes. That leads me back to some kind of software/driver issue.

My Asus Strix SOAR sound card, however, continues to be not found on startup. I'm still having to use Realtek. I did notice during a few moments last night, both gaming and otherwise, that I would get a half-second "glitch" in the game or the video feed, and a "beep" would come through the headphones. But then whatever I was doing would resume.