[SOLVED] Hard System Crash with RTX 2080TI

ronin026

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Hi there,

Recently updated to a ROG-STRIX RTX 2080TI, everything went fine for the first couple of weeks. I stress tested everything under load, ran Furmark as well as a silverlight CPU simultaneously and everything seemed stables. Then recently I began getting system crashes, specifically it shuts off the PC while under load. No BSOD or error messages, no tearing or artificating, just shuts off. I have checked all temps and nothing is overheating. It's well cooled, with Corsair H100i Pro for GPU and 3 fans equipped on the 2080ti to air cool the GPU, 4x 200mm case fans to help. GPU temps were not rising above 67c and GPU was running in the 70s. I can not even get the system to heat up under stress tests before it crashes now. I just stress tested the system prior to this post, running silverlight and Furmark and it crashed within 5 secs, well before anything got enough heat to cause any issues. I read that it may be a PSU going bad, which could be the case as the PSU on this computer is about 5-6 years old, but I'm running a Thermaltake 850w PSU so it's certainly not suffering from lack of power.

I don't have any logs or error codes to post as its completely powering off the system. I still have my old GTX 1070ti to use, and am about to replace the GPU and run stress tests with that to see if I can recreate the problem. The system was completely stable since I upgraded it for about 6 months prior to switching GPUs, and was stable for several weeks after upgrading GPU's before I ran into this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

TL;DR : System hard crashing under load, well before any components heat up enough to be the culprit. Please help.

Solution
Naturally, any brand of PSU can fail...

Given crashes or hard power-offs with two different GPUs, naturally most would opt for a known good PSU of sufficient wattage at this point. (DO NOT REUSE ANY MODULAR CABLES FROM OLD PSU WITH THE NEW ONE!)

ronin026

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
So i just replaced my RTX 2080 TI with my old GTX 1070ti and was able to recreate the system crash. So obviously this isn't a GPU problem like I originally had thought. Secondly sorry for putting it in this thread as the only recent hardware change was the GPU and I suspected that as the culprit. Nonetheless the system crashed out on the 1070ti which also had been running stable for about 2 years on this computer, so I no longer believe the GPU is the culprit. I am increasingly more suspicious the PSU is on its way out, is there any way to tell before I go out and spend money on one?

ronin026

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
So I believe I have fixed the issue. The PSU I have is a modular PSU, and I had an unused PCI-E slot on the PSU. While tinkering with it yesterday I tried using a different connector on the PSU, and this seems to have fixed the issue. I have stress tested it all night and was unable to reproduce a system crash.