Harddrive complications

G

I have gotten a new IBM harddrive and want to install win 98 on. I tried the conventional way(setting it as master), but it will not work. So I was thinking of putting the old drive as master and the new as slave and from win 98 installing win 98 to my new drive in slave mode. Is this possible and in that case how would I go about it?

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"I have gotten a new IBM harddrive and want to install win 98 on. I tried the conventional way(setting it as master), but it will not work. So I was thinking of putting the old drive as master and the new as slave and from win 98 installing win 98 to my new drive in slave mode. Is this possible and in that case how would I go about it?"

What motherboard are you trying to connect the IBM drive to? Could you be more specific about the drive model and its speed?
I assume that you were trying to run both drives connected to the same controller channel. I assume that this is your primary IDE channel, correct?
Did you make sure that the IBM drive's jumpers were set to master and the old drive's set to slave?
Are both drives ATA33? 66? 100?
And last, when you had the IBM connected, was it recognized in your motherboard's BIOS?
Phil