Harddrive light Soild

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
My Hardrive light is always on now, and from what I understand that means there is a lot of load on the harddrive? My question is why is it doing this (Don't have anything opened on computer) and should I maybe invest in a SSD for load / main programs and a regular HDD for games? If so should is a good SSD in a small budget? (was thinking maybe a 60 gb)

Thanks

ALSO: How about I beable to transfer all my files (OS, programs / documents) from HDD to SSD?

A 60gb is ok for just putting the OS and the thing with a drive of that size is that you do have to watch what you download to make sure that the destination is always the other drive. It doesn't take long for the drive to fill up if your not careful.You will have to turn off hibernation and either reduce the page file or move it to the other drive. I have had a 64gb SSD as the boot drive and in no time it was at 90% full and starting to slow down , which is what happens when a SSD gets too near to capacity and I had to start moving things to another drive to make room. I do realize you have a budget but if you were able to find a SSD that was 90gb it would make things a little better.

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F90GB3-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$134.99 and a $30 rebate makes it $104.99 and free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233204

This SSD happens to have a good size rebate which makes the price for this 90gb more attractive.
Once you have the SSD you decide to get all you would need to do is clone the OS on to youe new SSD.

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

I don't think my MB Supports SATA III, would need to find a PCI Adapter for it..

CDdude55

Distinguished
Take a look at your background processes and see you can end some of them if you don't need them. It might help.

And a 60GB SSD would do good as a boot drive, you can also throw a few of your most frequnt applications on there. This is what i do as well, i have a 60GB OCZ Aglility for boot/frequent applications and a 300GB WD Velociraptor for storage and games.

To transer documents you can litteraly just install the SSD and drag your documents onto the drive. With large programs you should be able to do the same by moving all folders and files assocated with that software onto the new drive. Though it's always better to reinstall onto the new drive.

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Ye I was looking at that earlier, I heard sometimes they don't always work? Like if I were to put Boot on the SSD it might not actually boot (The card gets power last)

Xlack

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Oh still! I will have to pick one up, Thanks

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Before you invest any money, check to see if the drive is actually being used, download Process Monitor from SysInternals www.sysinternals.com and see if there are actual reads or writes to the disk. Check to make sure you did not reverse the polarity of the LED as well (connector backwards).