Hardive in a new desktop problem

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
I ordered a barebones pc because I've never fully built a desktop from the ground up. I just got it today and installed a bunch of parts from my old desktop. I also put my old Hardrive with windows 10 into the new desktop. I've asked a few people and most said that putting the hardrive in the new desktop would boot up properly. Well it didn't. When i start the desktop it says "Reboot and select proper boot device". I've never installed an operating system before and have little knowledge about a boot menu. I can't afford to buy another copy of windows so i need to know if there is a way to reinstall windows off my hardrive.

Solution
make sure the mb has the newest bios file to rule out a bios bug. in the bios make sure hard drive not set to raid or ide. make sure ram set to right speed and xmp profile is on. in the bios make sure legancy and efi boot is on under boot. on the mb make sure video card and sound card are not next to each other some pci slots share irq. if windows is still locking up make sure on the hard drive there no left over windows 10 make sure the drive blank. (system restore/boot info does not have old hardware info files). try removing your gpu use onboard video see if the mb will install windows.
on the new build pc make sure on the sata ports your hard drive on port 0 of sata 6g port if there two sata chipset make sure it on the intel or amd port. in the bios under sata make sure the new drive shows up on port o. if the old mb had drive set to ide mode you have to change that in the bios the default is aci mode. under boot set first boot device to your hard drive.

dormdude

Honorable
Aug 3, 2016
Well i took the harddrive out and put it back in and it worked. But i decided to reinstall windows and now it won't finish. It reinstalled it and booted back up but it's stuck on a loading circle for ever. I let it run for about 2 and a half hours and nothing happened. I tried restaruing the desktop about 5 times and still stuck. and after searching on the internet I can't find a solution that works.

make sure the mb has the newest bios file to rule out a bios bug. in the bios make sure hard drive not set to raid or ide. make sure ram set to right speed and xmp profile is on. in the bios make sure legancy and efi boot is on under boot. on the mb make sure video card and sound card are not next to each other some pci slots share irq. if windows is still locking up make sure on the hard drive there no left over windows 10 make sure the drive blank. (system restore/boot info does not have old hardware info files). try removing your gpu use onboard video see if the mb will install windows.

Solution