Hardware Bottleneck is a Myth

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nitros85

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
CPU's never bottleneck a GPU. Sure, either CPU/GPU can bottleneck a game's performance, but the CPU does NOT bottleneck a GPU. There is no relationship between bottlenecking between a CPU and GPU. This is a Myth created by people who just repeat what they hear (sheeple).

Really when it comes down to it... it's all about [shitty] programming in the SOFTWARE.

Take Everquest 2 for example. Despite its intense graphics, it's primarily CPU-driven and ignores the GPU.
If you add a second graphics card (SLI/Crossfire) you will LOSE performance. This is a big deal in 2009.

Take SupCom for example. Despite that it's a wonderful game and fine in performance, the game's actual scope goes far beyond any CPU's capacity to handle all the calculations without any programming to divert some of the tasking to the very powerful and often unutilized gpu. This isn't so much of a big deal, but the developers could have put a limit on the game or increased performance to be at a realistic level at [x] amount of units/calculations.

When programming software, the developers of video games need to take performance into consideration. If you want to make a game that can go from small skirmish to epic scale- you need to program with such foresight into performance. If you want to make a video game at all, you need to utilize modern technology instead of ignoring it.

I say "Bottleneck is a Myth" to reiterate the simple fact that the problem is rarely the hardware, but the lack of foresight (or too much foresight to "future proof" a game) in the actual Software.

As anyone can see, there is software made with absolutely wonderful performance, and software made with horrid performance.
There are video games that run smoothly on crappy systems that look stunning, and video games that run horribly on even the best systems and still have shitty graphics.

Bottleneck is in the software, infinitely more than the hardware- so grab your pitchforks and torches and tell your gaming developers (actually...their producers and advertisers $$$$$$$$...) and get some better performance out of your games.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
1. its not ati's fault but a supply problem , ati would like to sell more numbers for a lower price for high total revenue , rather than few 400$ chips . i would not recommend patience to anyone rather than paying this amount .

2.another indirect cause is lack of competitive threats . remember how the gtx 280 was 649$ at launch , and people who got it were not too happy when it dropped just a few months later , or were they ? consider the pre-athlon days for cpu's . that being said , the i5 750 , while being a solid value proposition , has hyper threading disabled just for coaxing people to get i7 , not because of a tech limitation or something like that .

3.god alone knows how and when these problems would get sorted out , like supply for ati , and how fermi while being truly innovative , would mean to gamers .

again , looks like the christmas/new year holiday season which is just a month or so away from now , may not be enough for all this to sort out .

nitros85

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Epic fail on everyone's posts.

Also LOL @ "17 pages about cpu bottleneck" that is actually about building a system, with only a few pages dedicated to CPU's which also don't show bottlenecks at all.

nitros85

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Also, you all epic fail at reading comprehension, blinded by your own nerd rage to look past a "stupid post" and actually use your brain.

I even admitted that a CPU can bottleneck a game's performance.
Unfortunately, none of you even read THE FIRST SENTENCE of my post.
Instead, you read the title and attack the thread.
Rather unintelligently... seeing as how I never once said the CPU cannot bottleneck a game's performance- and IN FACT I specifically said it CAN.

CPU's never bottleneck a GPU. Sure, either CPU/GPU can bottleneck a game's performance, but the CPU does NOT bottleneck a GPU.

CPU's never bottleneck a GPU. Sure, either CPU/GPU can bottleneck a game's performance, but the CPU does NOT bottleneck a GPU.

Maybe if I post it multiple times, you will finally understand.

The ignorance and disabled mental capacity of Tom's Hardware's community fails to surprise me.

All you guys do is reiterate what you hear other ignorant people state.

"Upgrade to the i7 bc the core2duo will bottleneck your GPU!!!!!111"

nitros85

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
It never does...

I'm glad moderators are so low-brow that they stoop to subtle insults "need some more years behind you" -_-

Sorry child, but a fancy 'Moderator' title in italic blue doesn't equate you to dispense misinformation with the assumption that the OP is immature.

It's a good reflection of tomshardware though. The moderators are as ignorant as the rest of the community.

Monkey see, Monkey do. It works.

AnAndTech > Tomshardware.

Always has been. Always will be.

Poor Tom, he's like the blue collar website in a white collar world :(

nitros85

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008

Support evidence to show that a CPU can bottleneck a GPU.

Oh wait, you can't. Why? Because they don't.

CPU's can bottleneck a game's performance, causing it to lag.
CPU's [can bottleneck an entire system if it's that crappy.

But CPU's CANT bottleneck a GPU.

Also, I don't generalize like you. In some twisted unrealistic setup- yes a CPU could bottleneck a gpu's functions. Also, you forgot that "gpu's" is possessive...

If you want to somehow program gpu drivers to specifically bottleneck a cpu, then by all means go ahead! It's certainly possible. But in reality, the CPU can't bottleneck the GPU. If you're gonna talk about bottleneck, at least use the right terms. Say "The CPU can bottleneck gaming performance." A game's performance isn't the GPU, it's the... game's performance...

You need some more years behind you, and a lot of research to educate yourself away from the ignorant myth that somehow the CPU bottlenecks the GPU, rather than the entire system.

You might as well be saying "The CPU bottlnecks the DVD drive, causing low FPS!" because that would be as true as what you're saying. In fact, I think your bottleneck is not your CPU or GPU- but your brain and inability to process information.

Sorry :(
No upgrade for that!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474-10.html
Left 4 Dead at 1680x1050, best example of a CPU bottlenecking a GPU that i can find.

Now lets define bottleneck, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition defines a bottleneck as:
A hindrance to progress or production

In this case it would be anything that hinders the production of frames that can be displayed on the screen. The CPU is the only thing that feeds the GPU the information that it needs to produce the frames, if the CPU is unable to do this then it becomes a bottleneck to the GPU, not to the whole system as it is not hindering data being transfer to or from the RAM or the HDD.

As the GPU is complete in charge of rendering the frames that can be displayed on screen, anything that reduces the number of frames that the GPU can produce aside from the GPU itself is therefore bottlenecking the GPU.

The games performance however stands bottleneck free as nothing is bottlenecking the CPU from running the game as fast as it possibly can aside from itself and a component cannot bottleneck itself.

Umm, I wish you could call me son, but besides that, you havnt a clue, and insulting me wont get you far here, maybe elsewhere, but not here.
Get my hint?
This isnt the first time with you, and m patience is closing to an end.
You need to grow up, dont repeat something 30 times like a little kid badgering his parents by continually asking over and over.
Your actions prove what and who you are.
Now shape up or ship out, and if you dont know what that means, I can tell you and explain it

What YOU lack is reading comprehension, and even worse, you lack a basic understanding of how a GPU works. :pfff:

You argument doesn't even hold true since like I first pointed out to you a GPU must be fed by a CPU regardless of what task it's doing, so it can be bottlenecked by a CPU in games, 3Dmodeling, GPGPU tasks, and petty much anything you can throw at it where the CPU cannot keep up to the requirements of the GPU if either it needs to be fed by or output to the CPU.

End of story. [:thegreatgrapeape:7]

Status
Not open for further replies.