Hardware change for windows 10

andyl49

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Just looking for some advise on how i go about this as its my first time doing a full upgrade. I'm upgrading from a fx8320 to a Ryzen 5 2600x, i have all the bits i need new motherboard (MSI x470 gaming pro carbon) and DDR4 RAM but the bit I'm getting hesitant on is windows 10.....It's currently installed on my SSD and i believe i may run into problems booting up first time (I'm aware i need to deactivate the license on my current hardware as its a significant change). Will windows boost straight from my SSD or booting first time go into BIOs to get the computer to run the media creation USB i made and install it fresh onto the SSD again?

Solution
Install fresh windows on your new hardware.
Then use windows activation troubleshooter to transfer license to new pc.

If you try to avoid re-installation, you'll face following issues:
  • boot mode compatibility - system may not boot;
    drivers compatibility - reduced system performance due to incompatible drivers;
    windows activation - activation will be broken and you won't be able to reactivate normally.
Install fresh windows on your new hardware.
Then use windows activation troubleshooter to transfer license to new pc.

If you try to avoid re-installation, you'll face following issues:
  • boot mode compatibility - system may not boot;
    drivers compatibility - reduced system performance due to incompatible drivers;
    windows activation - activation will be broken and you won't be able to reactivate normally.

Solution

andyl49

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
I did think that might be the most problem free method! Looks like i better back up my stuff tonight!

So just to clarify, i need to follow this process:
Deactivate my windows license on current set up
Install the new hardware
Boot the PC and F12 (if it's F12) into BIOs
Set USB as first boot device
Re start and let the media creation install windows onto the SSD
Then activate Windows

No need to deactivate manually.
When you use windows activation troubleshooter, it will deactivate license on old pc and activate it on new pc.