Question Hardware Connect/Disconnect Sound when Switching between two laptops with one Monitor using HDMI Switch

LucidLCD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have two laptops - HP and Lenovo - which I connect to one external Dell monitor using an HDMI switch. I've had this setup for over a year now without any issues.

Starting today, I noticed that whenever I switch to the HP laptop display, the laptop produces a "hardware connect" sound. The HP laptop produces a "hardware disconnect" sound whenever I switch to the Lenovo display. Replacing the HDMI cable did not solve the issue. Whenever I switch to or from the Lenovo display, the Lenovo does not make any sounds. Before today, the transition between displays was quiet.

Can someone advise what might be causing this issue with the HP laptop and suggest a way to prevent these sounds (apart from changing the sound notification settings via mmsys.cpl)? Besides the notification sounds issue, the display works fine on both ends. Your advice will be appreciated!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about the "apart from changing the sound notification settings".... Why not?

I would go into mmsys.cpl and change the Device Connect and Device Disconnect sounds to "None" via the Sounds .wav file listings.

Sound > Sounds tab > Program Events. - scroll down to Device Connect and Device Disconnect.

One thought is that that was done at some time in the past but an update or some other changed returned the .wav selections back to the default sounds.

Do confirm that sounds being heard are device connect/disconnect.

Use the green triangle Test button to listen to and confirm the sounds being heard.