mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
Hello guys,
I currently work in after effects to make animated graphs and similar things. I use effects alot in my projects. At first my rig was okay because I used to work on small projects but now the projects are much larger and take 10+ to export a 2m video. I done a research and I found that some people say to upgrade the RAM and some say to have a good GPU if you use effects, etc. I can't decide which to upgrade. My budget can get me a 32GB kit of RAM or a RX 580 8gb/ similar.
My current rig does not have a dedicated GPU because I use a Ryzen 2400g. GPU prices were very high when I built the PC due to Bitcoin mining.

Current Specs:
Ryzen 2400g
8GB 3000mhz RAM
1TB 7200rpm HDD
Msi B450 tomahawk motherboard.

I don't know if I would go to 32 GB as that is a bit much (for me anyway).....although 16 GB is what I use and 16 GB will probably help you a bit.

As far as a GPU....with your CPU you I think you can go up to about a GTX 1080 (in the GTX series).....or (in the RTX series) an RTX 2060. I wouldn't go above these.

Here is the GPU heirarchy list.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Solution

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
I don't know if I would go to 32 GB as that is a bit much (for me anyway).....although 16 GB is what I use and 16 GB will probably help you a bit.

As far as a GPU....with your CPU you I think you can go up to about a GTX 1080 (in the GTX series).....or (in the RTX series) an RTX 2060. I wouldn't go above these.

Here is the GPU heirarchy list.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
GTX 1080 and RTX 2060 are way over my budget, do you think a RX 580 would give me a good boost of performance??

mrstrong000

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
If I couldn't get matching RAM to match my current 8 gig....I would buy RAM that matches the specs of my 8 gig and try it. Most of the time ....that works for me.
Were you able to overclock it?? I tried borrowing a friends kit(same as mine) but it wont go over 2667mhz anything higher the PC wont boot??
My kit is Hyper X Predator 2x4GB 3000mhz

Were you able to overclock it?? I tried borrowing a friends kit(same as mine) but it wont go over 2667mhz anything higher the PC wont boot??
My kit is Hyper X Predator 2x4GB 3000mhz
I generally don't overclock....but anytime you mix RAM that isn't part of a set....it's pretty much impossible to say for sure if it will work or if it won't......and that includes overclocking. You pretty much have to try it. But as I said.....I have matched the specs (many times)......and probably 80-90% of the time it works.