Question Has anybody playing Horizon Forbidden West got tips on lowering CPU temp spikes ?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
It is a known issue that Horizon Forbidden West runs way too hot in certain areas of the map. There are posts all over Steam and Reddit about it. It is 100% a game issue, not a PC issue or a cooling issue. I am normally running around 60C in the game. Just got to the area called the Deluge and CPU spiked to 85C. Completely unacceptable. I have read some people are undervolting their CPU's to keep temps down. I have a 5900X. Do not let this turn into a discussion about my PC having inadequate cooling. It does not. Specs below.

5900X that runs at 4.95Ghz max
MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
Corsair 780T case 2x140mm intake, 140mm exhaust at rear, 360mm AIO top mounted exhaust.

If there is a simple way to undervolt the CPU or some other method to lower temps without losing performance I am all ears. Otherwise I may just say screw this game and move on.

No other game I have played in the past 8 years has had temp spikes like this.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You could try and use Curve Optimizer and yes, undervolting it would help. Cooling isn't exactly the issue, it's the power being fed to your processor. You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version.
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. BIOS version 3801. I have no desire to update BIOS as it can cause problems on an otherwise problem free PC.

After going back into the game, I noticed the CPU temp went back to normal immediately after killing all the machines in the area. Then a short time later I was in a very small area inside a cave and it happened again. The game has issues.