Haswell CPUs to Top Out at 3.5 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Does anyone know what are the improvements?
I dont see major improvements except for the igp.

dgingeri

Distinguished
and they're still deactivating VT-d on the unlocked chips. That's annoying. I'll stick with my 2600k for a while longer. It OCs to 4.6GHz easily. Why bother to upgrade?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Very interesting! Higher TDPs on all the standard desktop parts and a 35w quad core with HT at the other end!

Also, ALL models get the same IGP with almost the same clocks, so no Wolfgang, i don't think the increased TDP is because of the IGP, unless there's more to it than what's written here.

I wonder if this will allow the processors to be clocked higher, or if it simply means that they're dissipating more heat via the IHS more quickly. I'd expect power consumption to remain identical to Ivy with the IGP turned off, infact lower, since i remember Otellini saying something like "twice as efficient during idle vs Sandy Bridge" with regard to Haswell's performance.

Didn't expect higher clocks really, it's the same process after all.

[citation][nom]mad tech[/nom]Release it already i am w8ing to upgrade from crappy core2duo[/citation]
Yeah me too! Though it's quad in my case.

[citation][nom]Onikage[/nom]nope.. gonna stay with my 2700K 4.5Ghz till 14 nm Broadwell.... thank you.[/citation]
Yeah doubt there's much for people who're on Sandy/Ivy at the moment...

[citation][nom]Thiemo[/nom]Does anyone know what are the improvements?I dont see major improvements except for the igp.[/citation]
Read:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture

[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]and they're still deactivating VT-d on the unlocked chips. That's annoying. I'll stick with my 2600k for a while longer. It OCs to 4.6GHz easily. Why bother to upgrade?[/citation]
Isn't that true for the existing -K series chips as well? (EDIT: it is true, just checked).

EDIT:
More observations regarding the TDP: Some of the the low power CPUs clock as high as the 84w ones on turbo boost, and the only dual core i5 there is (35w, second last in the list) has a minimum of 2.9 GHz (Will pentiums and i3s run at 3.5+???? Or will they all be 35w parts?).

So what's the catch here? the IGP isn't the cause as far as i can tell, unless there are grades of the HD 4600 graphics (like HD4650 or something), but that's unlikely looking at how they've named their IGPs so far. Clearly the lower TDP CPUs (or APUs, really) are indicative of what Haswell is really capable of as far as power consumption and heat are concerned.

What i think is, the standard desktop parts will be able to remain in their turbo state for longer and OC higher than SB/IB could, same goes for the IGP in those parts.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Intel your new socket just guaranteed I wont be giving you any business for at least 3 more years since I just bought an I7 3770k and dont want to replace my motherboard anytime soon.

I bought high-end mobos for my last two builds. That has done wonders for the upgrade itch; there's just no need. These new chips won't allow me to do anything I'm not already doing now.
If you're on S775 or maybe S1156, then probably the performance difference is worthwhile. Look at your rig, and ask yourself if an upgrade would make it better for you, or would it just transfer your money to some vendors? What can't you run [well enough] now, that an upgrade would fix? If the answer is "Nothing," then save your money. Step outside the incessant churn of planned obsolescence / perceived obsolescence.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
No 6/8 cores? Useless. I'm glad I bought Sandy Bridge when I did, because clearly progress has slowed. I'll take another look at the market if/when Intel finally wakes up and starts on 10+ core desktop CPUs.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I have a 6 year old i7 920 and a newer 2600k machine. Both have dual 6950's. I see no noticeable difference in gaming. My buddy has a newer 3750.... I think. He also has dual 6950's. I don't see that his machine does anything faster than mine.

I think that my 920 will last a long time...... I did add a high end SSD to it lately.

[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]and they're still deactivating VT-d on the unlocked chips. That's annoying. I'll stick with my 2600k for a while longer. It OCs to 4.6GHz easily. Why bother to upgrade?[/citation]
It is annoying, since I'm sure it's a wholly artificial limitation. I'm sure they do it so that you won't just buy the top i7, overclock it, and use it in a server or other high-end rig in place of a more expensive Xeon or "Extreme" processor. :sarcastic:

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]No 6/8 cores? Useless. I'm glad I bought Sandy Bridge when I did, because clearly progress has slowed. I'll take another look at the market if/when Intel finally wakes up and starts on 10+ core desktop CPUs.[/citation]
Why? Those extra cores won't benefit you unless you're doing heavily-threaded work (video rendering, image manipulation, 3D modeling, etc). I'd rather have fewer stronger cores, as that'd be more universally helpful since most programs can't leverage that many threads.

Also, the higher TDP has me at a loss as well - are they having more heat issues?

hrmes

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
It's been 6 years since quad core CPUs were introduced and we are still stuck with 4 cores as the 6-core i7 CPUs are too expensive for most people, and 8-cores are still only targeted for servers.
Intel could have already given us affordable 8-core CPUs if they had a version without integrated graphics.
Too bad...

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Few months ago i upgraded my cpu - i5 3570K. I'll keep it for at least 2 more years. I doubt people with Ivy Bridge will upgrade to Haswell. If you're coming from a 920 or even older, it's a must though. Of course if you're planning an upgrade...

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'm scratching my head over the increased TDP on the 4770K too. Unless the iGPU uses 7W more because it's a 4600 instead of a 4000, it makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.