Question Haunted PSU

Tr4ck3r

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
Hello good people.
I am experiencing a very strange situation where my pc started shutting down randomly then never powers on again until I disconnect the power cable from the psu and give it few minutes before it starts again.
After that, it started happening daily and I have to go through the same procedure everyday. The PSU does a clicking sound the nothing happens.
I tried rebuilding the pc, removing absolutely everything except for cpu and ram and the pc doesn't seem to start. So I took the psu and plugged it into an older system and it worked just fine. At first, I thought my motherboard or cpu are dead but the wouldn't let the pc start and work normally after I unplug the power cord and leave it for sometime. Anyways, I grabbed the old system psu( a crappy 250w cheap chinese psu that doesn't even have a pcie power cable) I plugged the 24 pin and a 4pin cpu cables and boom the pc just starts!! I added the graphics card and the rest of the ram and it worked like a charm! But whenever I bring back my old psu to my system it doesn't start I just hear a clicking sound.
My specs:
B450m-A pro max
Ryzen 3 3300x
16gb ram
Cooler Master Mwe 650w Gold V2 Psu
images

The cooler master psu works fine in the old system with an intel E5700 and my system works with the cheap psu but when i swap back my cooler master the strange behaviour happens again and am really stuck and confused. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Compare the power requirements of the current computer hosting the Cooler Master PSU to the power requirements of that "old system".

Use the following link to access power calculators as a way to compare the components and power requirements between systems.

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

The CoolerMasterPSU may be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of LIfe) and starting to falter and fail accordingly.

Depending on the details and circumstances the PSU may be able to provide peak power to the old system but not the current host system.

Another thing you can do is to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer of the computer currently hosting the PSU.

An increasing number of errors and varying errors is a sign of a faltering/failing PSU.

Tr4ck3r

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
That's weird because the Cooler Master is relatively new and my pc is always hooked to Ups. When I had the random shutdowns, event viewer reported critical power errors (kernel , code 41). Sad thing is we have no warranty or RMA in my country.
Thank you for your response.

Tr4ck3r

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
For how long the system usually works before shutting down ? Does that happen any faster if you run Furmark + Prime95 ?
Actually never ran Furmark or Prime95, when the issue started happening i tested with cinebench and heaven benchmark and the cpu never went above 60 (4.3Ghz all cores 1.2V) and the gpu never reached 70 (undervolted)
Also I played God of War for hours on high settings and the temps were chill and never encountered a crash that day. But yesterday I was in a middle of a Valorant game and the pc just turned off and never turned back on. Now the psu is in my older system running Linux completely fine.

Last edited:

Tr4ck3r

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
Update
I shutdown the pc using the cooler master power supply and unplugged the power cable from the ups and when I tried to turn it back on the psu clicks and nothing happens.
Guess I will have to buy another one.
Cheers.

Update
I shutdown the pc using the cooler master power supply and unplugged the power cable from the ups and when I tried to turn it back on the psu clicks and nothing happens.
Guess I will have to buy another one.
Cheers.
Sounds like a Defective product.. as you explained.. it looks like That PSUs Over Power limit is set too low by mistake... Like 150 watt only... As you mentioned you have to remove Cable and plug it again to turn pC on again. That happens when PSU go into fail safe. Mode.. try with some good PSU.. see if it's only PSU..

Tr4ck3r

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
Sounds like a Defective product.. as you explained.. it looks like That PSUs Over Power limit is set too low by mistake... Like 150 watt only... As you mentioned you have to remove Cable and plug it again to turn pC on again. That happens when PSU go into fail safe. Mode.. try with some good PSU.. see if it's only PSU..
I bought a new psu and everything seems fine so far. Is there anything I can do for the old psu? Or I should just trash it?