Question Have Been Having Lots of BSODs and Hard Freezes on a New Computer, Finally Narrowed It Down, Need Help Solving It

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 12, 2021
  • 64 bit
  • New System started with Windows 10
  • Picked up the prebuilt from cyberpowerpc here

Bought November 30th 2020

Its been having some odd crash issues for a while now. I updated Windows 10, and updated video drivers, and have checked for driver updates on other parts to no avail, though I may be missing something.

I've noticed a few blue screens, saying WHEA Uncorrectable Error, I've had the computer just freeze randomly, even while doing nothing (mouse can't move, no audio comes through, ctrl+alt+del does nothing, and I have to manually power cycle the PC to get it working), and I've left my computer on, and (the most common instance) I've walked away from the computer or left it on, and when I get back to it the PC has power cycled on its own due to some problem (whether its the blue screen, the freezing, or some unknown third issue, I don't know). These issues seem to happen indiscriminately, and occur whether I'm actively using the PC (though uncommon) or if barely anything is open and running. The PC isn't overclocked as far as I know, and the temps seem fine and sit at around 40c, and considering I'm in a hot and humid environment I'm not complaining.

They all share the same keywords, task category, event id, etc.

I've been having crashes pointing to ntoskrnl.exe for months now.

I have done memtest86, 8 passes, no failures. (Technically, two 4-passes back to back)

I've checked both my OS SSD and my HDD for disk errors - no problems.

I've run an sfc scan to check for windows corrupted files - none found.

The last step, running driver verifier, has crashed my pc before getting to windows 3 times in a row. Using BlueScreenView to look at the DMP file points all of them to RzDev_0226.sys.

Great, I have a culprit. Unfortunately, is there no way to roll this driver back, or update it? There are only two razer devices plugged in to my PC, the huntsman elite keyboard, and a firefly cloth edition mousepad. This is a brand new PC (purchased in December) with a 10850k and an rtx 3090, so I'm doubtful its anything due to having an old PC, and like I said, I ran those previous tests expecting it to be a hardware issue already, as this crash never occurred on my old PC.

So... what can I do? Beg Razer to update their drivers causing my PC to crash, or do I have to buy a different keyboard? Is there a quicker solution?

I'm legitimately desperate to get this fixed. I've been struggling with this problem for months. I've been searching for the file and have found no solutions..

Colif

Win 11 Master
no way a cooler on a I9 should be turning off or slowing down. IS it dual fan or single? it being lite makes me think its 1 fan?
the normal masterliquid have 2 fans, push pull. Thats bare minimum I would use on your CPU

Cyberpower - charge you more for liquid but then give you cheapest AIO they could find.
a little bit more you get the 2 fan model - https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-120/

Someone already questioned the ability of a 120 to cool that CPU I think.

wonder if it makes sense to buy a replacement?

but if you do that you can get the bling version - https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml120r-rgb/

or a 240 but not sure about space.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
no way a cooler on a I9 should be turning off or slowing down. IS it dual fan or single? it being lite makes me think its 1 fan?
t
The Cooler Master liquid Lite also comes in a 240mm variant.

Migth be good to take some pictures of the inside of the case and post them here by using Imgur.

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Would also be good to check behind the motherboard tray to see if all is connected to a fanhub.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, I am just thinking about space. I saw the range when looking as Masterplus+ software that you can use to look at their hardware but It doesn't work on the lite range, so no use here. I don't see an easy way to control pump or fans on the lite models, the normal ones have a wired remote but that might just do rgb

if a 240 fits, It would be a better choice for that CPU. they both have the same amount of fans, its just rad size that changes. For some reason I thought the normal 240 came with 4 fans (mainly as normal ML120 has 2 fans and lite has one, i figured that expanded to all the models.. so a 360 with 6 fans would be a fun time to put into a PC)

Looking at cyberpower website, if you customize a build and look at CPU coolling options it does have that one as a choice, I can't tell you if its included as a choice in ops build as its out of stock and won't let me play with it to see.

main difference between lite and normal is quality of the parts used. they all use same fans.

It seems main reason Cyberpower use 120mm AIO isn't for cooling, its because its easier for shipping. Less likely to break things if its got an AIO attached while in freight. They likely hide that reason and upsell 120mm as a cool feature for users, when really a AIr Cooler can do just as good if not better.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021
I'd have rather just had a good noctua in there from the start, honestly.

I've looked around inside a bit and called the tech support again. It seems they have the pump plugged in to the cpu_fan slot. From what I read, having a pump on a dynamic, pwm-enabled set up, with variable RPM, is bad for the life of the pump, and ideally the fan should have variable speed while the pump runs at max the whole time. The radiator fan goes back behind the motherboard, and into a huge messy bundle of cables. It's practically impossible to trace anything, but the tech support told me they tend to hook the fans up "to the power supply directly", which I assume means there is no pwm enabled, so it's just on or off. I don't see anything here that looks like a fan controller.

Feb 12, 2021
A photo could help ....

I'm still posting from my phone at the moment, but hope this suffices. It's a real mess.

View: https://imgur.com/a/pJKJwBk

Notably, the horribly zip-tied bundle on the left and the horrid amalgamation of stuffed in extra PSU cables at the bottom.

Edit: For now, I've gone into the BIOS and set the CPU fan to run at 100% at all times, and use DC instead of PWM, so that the pump is running at max at all times. There are 3 other fans spinning, the radiator fan and two case fans. I have no idea which one is hooked up as "Chassis Fan 1", and the other two chassis fan slots don't have anything showing, so I assume 1-2/3 are plugged into the power supply as he said, so I have no control over those; regardless, I also set the Chassis Fan 1 to also run at max, but with PWM, just in case its the radiator fan. Upon rebooting, with about 11 Firefox tabs open, HWMonitor, Spotify, Discord, and Steam running in various states of showing or otherwise, and a slew of programs running minimized to the taskbar, and otherwise being in an idle state, the CPU temperature seems to be at about 40C, sometimes at around 37C, and the max was at 46C, minimum at 36C. The pump "RPM" is apparently in the range of 2364-2397, and the chassis fan, bewtween 1819 and 1846 RPM. I will now attempt to load into that Pathfinder game that seemed to thermally crash my PC before. Even if one 120mm radiator with a single fan on it isn't enough to properly cool the cpu, a single game shouldn't get the temp to over 100C and cause the motherboard to call it quits and shut it down, at least I wouldn't think so, unless the part is faulty to begin with.

Edit 2: Played it longer than I could before, still not for too long though. Maxed at 90C and averaged 85C once it settled. Also briefly tested a few turns on Warhammer 2, and it seemed to be steadily increasing over time. It got to about 80 before I had to hop off. Might just need a new CPU cooler, and maybe an extra case fan while I'm at it.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It's a big thread and just looking at all of it again, see talk about the ssd not going through tests and replacment, did it get replaced?

Saw you wondering about the psu, seems to be a Seasonic Prime, migth be an older model, but think that should be fine as long as the 3090 doesn't spike too much for it.

Am looking at the pictures, the case is really a Phantek P400 (or P500) and has a fanc ontroller so not sure but it can handle 3 fans and since it seems three fans are in the case are they likely connected to that. There is a fancontroll button at the top of the case, play with it and see if you can get all fans to their max to see if you can get better temps.

Kinda wonder what the ketchup/mosterd adapter is for.See no need for it.

Will look further.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
One other thing that has been questioned, the ability of the 120mm AIO to keep CPU cool.

The questioning of it is the cooling only happened in September so pity we weren't faster. Your idle temps are reasonable but its under load it might struggle. I wonder where the air from the 3090 rear exhaust goes once its left the back of the GPU, it should go out top but if the 2 front fans are blowing all the air into the Radiator. Even if you didn't replace 120 I would suggest putting the extra case fan into a slot above CPU just to get some heat away from it.

It sure appears to be a P400, shame its not the airflow version, I don't see a hub. I see talk of connecting them to maybe the front panel? I see what hub should look like but I don't see it there.

The P400A & P400S both have buttons on front to control fans, his doesn't have those button as far as I can tell. Its obvious when you know where they should be. http://www.phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-EC400ATG.pdf
Firefox won't let me go to the Phanteks website so I can't tell if the base P400 has them or not. It might not have a hub.

Its cyberpower, they rebranded it and I bet removed extras that add cost to production. Easier to just run them full speed. fans probably aren't pwm anyway

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at the picture that came from here,
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gaming-Instant-Ship-GXL-99098
think one of the next circled buttons is the fancontroller. Might just be RGB though or one is RGB and the other fancontroller. Hard to say the picture is small.

rBNe3Cw.png

Loked at the back of my P440s and fancontroller uses these to connect fabs to one button,

EsUMuo7.jpg

Saw btw in that link (took it from the first page of this thread) they said a Z590 motherboard was used? Or is this link from an updated version of that pc/build?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
You probably right about the buttons, those aren't on the P400 PDF

Op would know anyway :)

@Vic 40 i did this summary on page 3
I don't think problem is software then.
Gaming Chassis: CyberpowerPC P418X Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Included)

Extra Case Fans: 3X Apevia Dual addressable digital RGB 120mm Fan 3Pins (Included)

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-10850K 10/20 3.60GHz

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z490-V ATX,

RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz RGB MEMORY (Included)

Video Card: GeForce RTX™ 3090 24GB GDDR6X (Ampere)

Power Supply: 1,000 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply (Included)

Primary Hard Drive: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Secondary Hard Drive: 3TB (3TBx1) HDD (Included) ST3000DM007-1WY10G.

Keyboard: CyberPowerPC NOHI 01 Multimedia USB Wired Gaming Keyboard w/ Backlight (Included)

Mouse: CyberPowerPC Elite M1 131 RGB 7-Color w/ 9 Button,

Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) (Included)

I have done memtest86, 8 passes, no failures. (Technically, two 4-passes back to back)

Both drives were tested
Replaced PSU
But they replaced the SSD and MOBO and this error is still continuing.
GPU was swapped to a EVGA - GeForce RTX 3090 XC3
SSD was swapped to a different one, but the same model. When restoring old files, I saw the serial number was different, but same exact model.
Memory was swapped to same model, different sticks. Can't verify for sure, but they say it happened.
I personally bought and swapped the power supply to a "Seasonic Flagship Prime Series SSR-1000PD 1000W Platinum Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V 135mm FDB Fan Super Quiet Power Supply" upon RMA return.

CPU passes Prime 95 & Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (I assume I did ask for that sometime)

looks at whats left... now i see why i was hoping it was WIFI.
only things not replaced apart from CPU are mouse/keybaord (feels like a stretch)

you could run bare basics, CPU/1 stick of ram/NVME/ integrated graphics
I don't know what cause is but if we reduce the amount of parts in PC and it still happens, it at least reduces possible causes.

And according to last Dump that Gardenman converted its still same MB

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
@Vic 40 i did this summary on page 3

And according to last Dump that Gardenman converted its still same MB
I know, and you are right, but wondered if the motherboard in that link is different that other parts maybe have been altered too.

Found a few of those fan connectors hiding in that bundle of wires, think these have fans connected, ther's also a third right in the middle of those with circles.

fP7fMjd.png

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021
It's a big thread and just looking at all of it again, see talk about the ssd not going through tests and replacment, did it get replaced?

Saw you wondering about the psu, seems to be a Seasonic Prime, migth be an older model, but think that should be fine as long as the 3090 doesn't spike too much for it.

Am looking at the pictures, the case is really a Phantek P400 (or P500) and has a fanc ontroller so not sure but it can handle 3 fans and since it seems three fans are in the case are they likely connected to that. There is a fancontroll button at the top of the case, play with it and see if you can get all fans to their max to see if you can get better temps.

Kinda wonder what the ketchup/mosterd adapter is for.See no need for it.

Will look further.

The SSD was definitely replaced -- when restoring my backup via Macrium Reflect, the serial number of the SSD on the backup was different from the current one.

The PSU was swapped out by me (well, I took it to a shop and had them do it), it was originally one of their default PSUs. I bought this one custom myself.

Looking at the picture that came from here,
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gaming-Instant-Ship-GXL-99098
think one of the next circled buttons is the fancontroller. Might just be RGB though or one is RGB and the other fancontroller. Hard to say the picture is small.

rBNe3Cw.png

Loked at the back of my P440s and fancontroller uses these to connect fabs to one button,

Saw btw in that link (took it from the first page of this thread) they said a Z590 motherboard was used? Or is this link from an updated version of that pc/build?

That picture is pretty spot on with what my case looks like, except the side of the front jut out bit is open a bit to allow air through to the metal-mesh behind it, where the two front case fans are. As for the buttons circled, both control RGB settings (one changes RGB mode, the other changes RGB color). No fan controls there, sadly.

As for the motherboard, I'm not entirely sure... I know I have a Z490, and while the website, at least now, shows a Z590, I feel like they updated that page with that information after the fact. If mine was supposed to be a Z590, they probably made this swap back when the motherboard was replaced during the first RMA process, but even I didn't notice the visual difference. I'm pretty certain it was always a Z490.

I know, and you are right, but wondered if the motherboard in that link is different that other parts maybe have been altered too.

Found a few of those fan connectors hiding in that bundle of wires, think these have fans connected, ther's also a third right in the middle of those with circles.

fP7fMjd.png

I actually traced the fan cables, at least the radiator fan cable, to the cable that is right beside the top circled one, that comes out, at least externally, as a single wire. That said, I could have just traced it wrong.

While I don't see a fan controller in here, if there is one, would that explain why the PC only shows one chassis fan (it being all three fans), and the CPU fan (which I've determined is the pump)?

Feb 12, 2021
Welp, used OpenHardwareMonitor to log data, including CPU temps, while running Warhammer 2. Seems that game, modless, still crashes my PC pretty fast (within 10 minutes or so of starting up a game). Temps were around the high 70's to low 80's, which I've seen be higher without any blue screens, so clearly there is still some sort of issue beyond the cooling of the CPU.

Here is the dump file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1h90xtztwrzhieq/091821-7656-01.dmp?dl=0

The blue screen itself reported it as an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, which I've seen pop up a lot lately.

Edit: Did the BIOS update for the motherboard finally, to the one released in July that gets it ready for Windows 11.

In doing so, my BIOS settings got reset. I retuned the "CPU" Fan and chassis fans, turned XMP off by changing a setting from auto to manual, and set the RAM frequency to 2666 MHz again. Immediately upon booting in, got a blue screen.

Dump file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vesnm3zqbtcbuqs/091821-7484-01.dmp?dl=0

Hasn't crashed again, yet at least, so hopefully that was a one off and my overall system stability is good, aside from Total War: Warhammer 2 causing crashes consistently.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master

the Motherbaord here
6HHni7L.jpeg

looks like the one in photos here - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z490-V/]

and the fan cable running from the AIO to MB is going to where the CPU/Pump header is on that MB
parts on that board match up with the diagram in mb PDF.

I can't tell if the chassis fans are attached to one of the fan headers as the actual AIO is on top of where the header is, and the bottom fan header appears unused (maybe, he has 2 at bottom and there are cables in area. I can't identify what they are for.
page 1-2 shows layout - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/PRIME_Z490-V/E16508_PRIME_Z490-V_UM_WEB.pdf

Gardenman is away this weekend but he probably play catch up when he comes back.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Did he/you try and take that wificard out? At least take one piece of hardware unused out of the loop.

Looked at it and trying to figure out where it is connected, but get the idea it just ends in the red circle without connecting to a header which likely should be one of the two usb headers near it,

GNaFnSV.png

You also still haven't updated that bios yet, why not?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
lol. i missed the wifi card down there.

i keep thinking, why do that. but they probably have 1000s of them and its cheaper than buying wifi enabled mb. I am glad I can't even buy Cyberpower PC here.

Neither fan header on bottom is attached to anything
You can see the first one under the cable and last is clearly blank, order running left to right
VIFUdfU.jpg

13 COM
18 TB
4 CHASSIS Fan 2
(un numbered) COM debug
9 - 2 USB connectors
4 CHASSIS Fan (number unknown as not showing in mb manual

cable is running to 14. front panel audio, or maybe WIFI

the red outline seems to be in wrong place

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
He might well go past it, but again why doesn't he update that bios?

If you want more detail on those pictures open them in Imgur, then enlarge them as you can, then rightclick in that enlarged photo and choose "open in new tab", then you can enlarge them in that new tab even further.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Added this to my previous post,

If you want more detail on those pictures open them in Imgur, then enlarge them as you can, then rightclick in that enlarged photo and choose "open in new tab", then you can enlarge them in that new tab even further.

Am i seeing this right? Looks like a cable tucked away under the cooler which might mean that the coolers fan is connected to the AIO pump header. The other one is certainly free of anything, mean the fan header next to the pumpheader.

bohL8ki.png

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you click the image in its new tab its bigger than my screen size, I wasn't looking that far left so missed the card sitting there, I was more looking at the MB amd what sockets had been used.
I have a 1440p screen but I assume picture is actually is 4k. My camera does same thing

I know how Imgur works, I been using the right click view thing for about... as long as I recall. Before we swapped forum software.

Feb 12, 2021
Well, I updated my BIOS (which reset it's settings) and changed the memory back to 2666 and turned XMP off, and it's still back to crashing a ton, even at idle. I think last time I also turned off Mobo wifi or some setting related to wifi, even though turning it off didn't stop the wifi card from working, so let me check that again..

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think cable with red outline is just the wifi card, where would that cable go anyway?

Yeah, that explains the mystery chassis fan,

double checks to make sure MB doesn't have wifi, notes its sold seperately.
take it out if you don't use it. Would suck if it was cause.

Stop showing us new things VIc :D

Yeah, that looks like an ML120, not an ML120 Lite.

i am tired, i let you help for a while, I am not really doing much.