[SOLVED] Have I checked all my options? [high-end gaming displays]

HeelHook

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hey TH Community,

My display has fallen behind quite a bit and I'm looking to build out a pretty nice new rig over the next 6-8 months, I wanted to make sure I've checked all my options for monitors given what I'm looking for. As is always the case with computer hardware, I wanted to ask here first.

Assuming this is the unit I build out: https://newegg.io/32a4318 (I think with this setup I should be able to fully enjoy any of the top tier spec sheets in gaming monitors)

Originally I was asking myself the common question these days of ultra wide vs 16:9 and 4k, etc. but I think after considering it for a while, I'm leaning towards investing in a 4k, 144hz, 1ms HDR monitor.

My main first question would be, is there really no happy medium ground in the 4k/144/1ms market between either a 27 inch and a 43 inch? I feel like a 32in, 4k, HDR, 144hz, 1ms monitor would be my perfect fit, but I can't seem to find one anywhere?

In the space of the 43' 4k/144/1ms monitors I'm really seeing 2 options:
  • the latest Asus Predator 43' line
  • the ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ 43” 4K
Looking between those two I'm heavily leaning towards the ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ 43” 4K. Am I missing any other potential options here? Any potential pitfalls, or short comings in my build? I hate asking this because it sounds silly but, is it as simple as that Swift is just as good as the 27in 4k/144/1ms/HDR monitors, but bigger?

Would love any feedback, suggestions, or confirmations from y'all and thanks in advance for the help!

-A

Solution
Unfortunately, the smallest OLED panel seems to be the 48", but I can attest from personal experience that nothing compares to OLED. I understand your space issue, I actually had a custom built desk to accommodate a 48" display.

With monitors, there is typically no "best" as there are so many variable or performance metrics, you have to pick what is most important for you and sometimes the base speed specs are only achieved at certain hz / resolutions, so they can be deceiving. It always seems to be about tradeoffs. Monitors with the highest refresh rates typically come in lower resolutions, or at the expense of color accuracy. There is unlikely to ever be a "unicorn" monitor which checks every box.

My recommendation to you is too...

HeelHook

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
I actually haven't considered any TV's up until this point now that you mention it. So I see this is g-sync friendly, 1ms response, 4k, HDR. Is the only difference here is it's 120hz refresh as opposed to a 144hz refresh? If that's the case then do they make similar tv's in a smaller size? the 43' inchers I mentioned were somewhat maxing out the space I have (I use an L-shaped desk with my chair facing the room's corner), but if TV's exist that fit the bill I might check it out. Thanks for the rec!

larsv8

Distinguished
Unfortunately, the smallest OLED panel seems to be the 48", but I can attest from personal experience that nothing compares to OLED. I understand your space issue, I actually had a custom built desk to accommodate a 48" display.

With monitors, there is typically no "best" as there are so many variable or performance metrics, you have to pick what is most important for you and sometimes the base speed specs are only achieved at certain hz / resolutions, so they can be deceiving. It always seems to be about tradeoffs. Monitors with the highest refresh rates typically come in lower resolutions, or at the expense of color accuracy. There is unlikely to ever be a "unicorn" monitor which checks every box.

My recommendation to you is too find something that seems like its close to what you want, then read the in depth reviews, which will usually compare with similar models.. I recommend in depth reviews from this guy:

I have found him to be one of the best in depth monitor reviewers. He is also on a youtube channel called Hardware Unboxed.

Solution